Off Topic But Just Have To Share!

Danielle

I'm so excited and feel so happy today! With the help of a lovely lady up the coast, 7 poddy calves were saved from slaughter yesterday. Today was supposed to be D-day for them, but they are all safe and sound now! I'll be taking one and he will live his days out in our paddocks doing what he does best...being a cow! One of the 7 was only three days old. They mustve been terrified in the dogger pens, but at least they are safe now. Anyways just had to share the good news! :rofl:

Edited by Danielle

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are dairy calves daisy. I don't have pics as I haven't picked mine up yet, but there is still one that needs a home or sponsorship if u r interested. Juanita is happy to keep them there but needs help with feed etc. They are absolutely gorgeous, there are twins and they have perfectly shaped love hearts on their foreheads...beautiful babies. :rofl:

How lovely of you Danielle, I only wish I could have one, but don't have a property to keep one on.

I hate the thought of any animal being slaughtered.

I wish you and your beautifull poddy calf a long and happy life togeather.

lablove

You have done a great job! :rainbowbridge: The twins must be gorgeous.

I always hate to think about these poor calves, only born to die just so we can have milk to drink. At least beef calves get to live a year or 2.

You have done a great job saving such young calves, but I must comment on the above statement!

Not ALL dairy calves are killed at such a young age!!! The majority of them will be sold to farmers and grass fed till for a few years before being sold for meat! I know they may still end up being slaughtered, but to say they all die at a young age is just not truthful!

Heifers will also be onsold for breeding.....and milking.

Please make sure you put up some photos of the babies when you can - 'specially the twins! We had heifer twins years ago and their faces were mirror images of each other! One was barren though, the other was a great mum!

Rat

Lab rat it's very common for the boys to be slaughtered at a young age, but you are right, not all are killed. The calves are up the coast with Juanita the lady who saved them, but as soon as I pick up mine I'll be sure to post pics! Another friend of mine has saved one too, I'm just so glad everyone pulled together to make this happen! But all the credit goes to Juanita, she was the one who alerted everyone to these little babies plight and she did all the hard work. I can't wait to pick up my baby, I just hope my horses and dogs are as excited as me! Pics coming soon!

You have done a great job! :rainbowbridge: The twins must be gorgeous.

I always hate to think about these poor calves, only born to die just so we can have milk to drink. At least beef calves get to live a year or 2.

You have done a great job saving such young calves, but I must comment on the above statement!

Not ALL dairy calves are killed at such a young age!!! The majority of them will be sold to farmers and grass fed till for a few years before being sold for meat! I know they may still end up being slaughtered, but to say they all die at a young age is just not truthful!

Heifers will also be onsold for breeding.....and milking.

Please make sure you put up some photos of the babies when you can - 'specially the twins! We had heifer twins years ago and their faces were mirror images of each other! One was barren though, the other was a great mum!

Rat

Sorry to disagree, I once owned a dairy farm and I can say that after a farmer keeps his replacement calves ( animals which will be hand raised and kept as milkers) the rest go to slaughter sold by weight over the scales. Bobby calves are a good cash income for the farmer. Farmers can not keep bull calves, if the extra heifers are lucky they may get sold to another farmer to be milkers.

Dairy cattle are usually jersey or Holstein, breeds that do not fatten up easily. Beef cattle are breed and raised by their mothers, farmers do not buy powered milk to raise beef cattle. And yes it is very sad to see these young calves sold, but that's the way it is.You have to have the cows in calf each year to keep the milk supply going. I am so glad these days I only raise beef cattle, some favorite cattle will be on this place till they die.

Danielle if you have a bull calf make sure he is castrated before he gets to old and did you know that if the twins are male & female the female will most likely be infertile. Poddy calves are lovely to have and kids adore them, are they friesian or jersey calves? They make good pets and you will have a fresh supply of manure for the garden.

Edited by dianed

Hi Dained, thanks for some first hand knowledge!! I do understand that the calves are sold - but here in WA there are alot of calves that are bought by farmers that are grassfed till a few years old, then sold for meat. When the beef industry took a dive a few years ago there were quite a few beef farmers that got rid of their breeders and restocked with poddy steers to keep for a few years, till they were mature and ready to eat.

Being mostly Frisian or Holstein, I agree they dont fatten quickly - which is why they are kept for longer!

I totally understand the logistics of keeping and feeding the babies - I cannot believe the price of milkpowder for calves/lambs these days!

Back on topic - I agree also with dianed - if hes a bull calf make sure he is castrated!!!

Rat

Did you have to get permits, etc before picking them up? I have five acres and have room for a couple of cows and the ability to feed poddys. I grew up feeding poddy's. I just don't have permits in place for cattle here atm.

We just took on 2 poddy calves from my neighbours dairy. Out of thousands of black and white Holsteins a red and white bully calf was born. He was too special to be sent off to the abattoir at 2 days old so him and a bully friend came to live here as our 150 acres will be a lovely place for them to grow old!! lol (we have red headed children and they jokingly think we had something to do with it!) :rofl:

They are 4 weeks old now. I really enjoy seeing them racing around there yard kicking there legs up in joy! I can't say the same for the ones I see on the truck every week but that is just the way it is unfortunately.

Here are some photos of Milo and Bailey our little steers. :rofl:

post-22701-1277723447_thumb.jpg

post-22701-1277723474_thumb.jpg

post-22701-1277723492_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wilderblu

This is my fella, we have named him "Sooky" Im pretty sure they are Fresians.

Yes Im aware of the legalities of transporting, tagging etc, my stepmother works for the DPI. I know about castrating too, ill do it when he is around 4 months old. Im pretty sure my neighbour can do it himself without the need for a vet as he has beef cattle and is pretty experienced with it all.

And yes, there are a few others who are in desperate need of homes or sponsorship. If anyone is interested in helping just PM me and I can help organise it.

post-23263-1277725997_thumb.jpg

Can u imagine one in a suburban backyard! Lol, u could just pass it off as an overgrown great Dane with really bad conformation...hehe!

But for anyone who can't take one but would like to help, sponsorship is also an option.