Off Topic But Just Have To Share!

Danielle

This is my fella, we have named him "Sooky" Im pretty sure they are Fresians.

Yes Im aware of the legalities of transporting, tagging etc, my stepmother works for the DPI. I know about castrating too, ill do it when he is around 4 months old. Im pretty sure my neighbour can do it himself without the need for a vet as he has beef cattle and is pretty experienced with it all.

And yes, there are a few others who are in desperate need of homes or sponsorship. If anyone is interested in helping just PM me and I can help organise it.

post-23263-1277725997_thumb.jpg

Danielle I wasn't having a go re DPI stuff, I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to help with one.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ams no worries! Just wanted to make sure u knew all was above board and legit thats all. :love:

Im not sure about ur council etc...maybe have a look on their website and see what it says. Are you on land? Im pretty sure if u have over an acre the council wont put up too much of a fuss...as long as its not in a residential area. I didnt have to do too much research as my stepmum knows it all already and its fine for me to have one out there.

Where abouts are you?

Not sure Clyde. I spose it depends on your particular council, I would imagine it would b different in different places. We have 40 acres so that's plenty of room for the cow and our horses. Contact ur council and see what they say maybe...

They arnt cows they are bulls, they will be big sooner more than later.

Most studs dont keep bulls, thats why they go to be killed.

Its horrible but thats veal for you.

People want veal.

You need a lot of space and feed for one.

To have one in the city is silly, they need too much feed, what do you do with a bull?

Its a nice thought to save them.

They arnt cows they are bulls, they will be big sooner more than later.

Most studs dont keep bulls, thats why they go to be killed.

Its horrible but thats veal for you.

People want veal.

You need a lot of space and feed for one.

To have one in the city is silly, they need too much feed, what do you do with a bull?

Its a nice thought to save them.

Hmmm....that sounded a little unkind....did u wake up on the wrong side of the bed gilly? I didnt, Im as happy as larry that I have helped to save a little life, and I feel good. :laugh:

Im aware that they are bulls....i do apologise for calling them cows, i didnt think anyone would correct me on that. :love:

I am not "silly", I wont be keeping one in the city, as I have already stated i have 40 acres out west where he will be kept. And i wont 'do' anything with him, he will be allowed to just live his life out as a "Bull" and be happy. I dont have to do anything with him at all, he can roam with my horses and eat grass for all i care. :)

Cheers.

WE had a friesan steer many years ago as kids :D he grew HUUUUGE .. and even when fully adult and out in teh paddock would still try & get in teh car! :) Clarry his name was.. and we used to sit on him and play with him....

Mmmmmmmmm... cow breath........................... :) :) Sitting quietly listening to a cow chew its cud is a very relaxing thing ;)

WE had a friesan steer many years ago as kids :D he grew HUUUUGE .. and even when fully adult and out in teh paddock would still try & get in teh car! :) Clarry his name was.. and we used to sit on him and play with him....

Mmmmmmmmm... cow breath........................... :) :) Sitting quietly listening to a cow chew its cud is a very relaxing thing ;)

OMG really! Hahaha that is so cute! I had a Miniature horse once that used to do that, he loved to jump into my car or come in the house if someone left the door ajar. Funny little bugger even learnt how to open the fridge somehow, lol.

Clarry sounds just gorgeous!

I think thats wonderful Danielle any life saved is worth a :D no matter what "it" is.

Absolutely. I dont care if it is a frog or an elephant, every life is precious and every animal deserves the same respect regardless of species, breed or gender. :)

Good luck with it Danielle, cattle can be a lot of fun, although very hard on your fencing. I grew up on a cattle station and was also a sucker for the poddys. :)

Yeah Im hoping the fencing will hold. Its new cattle fencing and the neighbour has been running his steers on it, so if it is keeping his boys in im sure it will keep our little fella in.....hopefully!

Cattle are smart- I'm sure he can be trained to do all sorts of things :) But start NOW - while he's small enough to handle :D

he can be the first in your bullock team.

yes! you only need 5 more :)

Edited by persephone

Most of the tiny calves sold at Dorrigo or Warwick go to be poddied & fattened for meat around these parts.

One of my guilts about my love of dairy is the poor calves as a by-product.

teach them manners now though, or when they are horse size they will walk THROUGH you instead of around you !!!

When I was a kid, the people where I agisted my horses used to have a demonstration under saddle jumping team of steers in the 50's, and their kids always had a trained steer & used to ride it.

I was agisting a few cattle for a friend here, one was a grown freisan poddy, he was a huge beastie, and I called him Stompy - as he'd rush out of the little mob and stamp his feet at me, scare the buggery out of me & then rush up for a scratch behind his poll !!!

fifi

efs

Edited by fifi

Kirislin that is a marvelous idea, thanks for that! When we build the house there will b a lot of large boulders that will need shifting, so he may b of assistance there. I'll talk to the farmer neighbour and get advice on training etc.

Fifi can you really ride them? I had no idea! Wow, imagine if we broke him in, wouldn't that be fantastic!

We just took on 2 poddy calves from my neighbours dairy. Out of thousands of black and white Holsteins a red and white bully calf was born. He was too special to be sent off to the abattoir at 2 days old so him and a bully friend came to live here as our 150 acres will be a lovely place for them to grow old!! lol (we have red headed children and they jokingly think we had something to do with it!) :D

They are 4 weeks old now. I really enjoy seeing them racing around there yard kicking there legs up in joy! I can't say the same for the ones I see on the truck every week but that is just the way it is unfortunately.

Here are some photos of Milo and Bailey our little steers. :)

The red one looks like he will probably turn black as he gets older. We have a few red and white stud Holstein's here and when theyre born they have a bright red clear coat, your calf looks quite dark.

Biggest bull and steer we've come across was a father and son, they were both 6ft 3inches at the withers, we have quite a bit of frozen semen from the bull, his daughters are also very tall. The steer is broken to saddle.

I wasnt being rude, Ive spent a lot of time with Holsteins and know how big and pushy they can be.I knew someone who was killed by a Holstein bull.

Unless you get them young, you have a very large pushy animal on your hands.

They arnt animals you take on without some knowledge.

I milked a lot of them for a good period of time, so got to know them.

I wasnt being rude, Ive spent a lot of time with Holsteins and know how big and pushy they can be.I knew someone who was killed by a Holstein bull.

Unless you get them young, you have a very large pushy animal on your hands.

They arnt animals you take on without some knowledge.

I milked a lot of them for a good period of time, so got to know them.

Very true. But even then, pet ones grow up to have less fear of humans and can be big pains in the behind! :laugh: Im looking out the window at one now :laugh: and its a heifer!