Greyhounds, Whippets Or...?

Hi!

I'm doing my breed research at the moment in preparation for the time when my partner and I can adopt a dog. We will be providing a very loving home where the dog will be part of the family (although we realise the importance of the dog knowing it's a dog!). My partner and I have a few things we are looking for in a breed to make sure the match is a great fit. for both us and our pooch. OH's prerequisite's:

- short haired/minimal shedding

- minimal doggy odour

- gentle and laid back

- affectionate but not demanding of attention

- not yappy or a heavy breather

- small

- prefers dogs with long noses (muzzles/snouts- eep! I don't know the right term..) and pricked ears.

my prerequisites:

- happy to go for a half hour to hour long brisk walk each day but doesn't need more exercise than that.

- likes to be close to people

- good with children

- will happily snooze on the couch whilst OH and I are at work

- healthy breed with few genetic concerns

- sturdy and robust, not fragile

- long lived

I realise this really narrows our breed selection down. To makes matters even more complicated, we are both quite passionate about saving a life and won't be buying our dog from a breeder/pet store/other, we'll adopt from a rescue organisation or the pound. Hard to find what we are looking for! But, I reckon I've done the near impossible and selected one breed that fits the bill nicely. Whippets. Thing is, they are very rare in rescue organisations or pounds! So greyhounds began to look more and more attractive, there's nothing that isn't ideal about them except their size.

Do greyhounds take up a lot of space in your home? Our pooch would be an indoors dog. Personally I love a big dog and greyhounds sound like a very clean, affectionate animal and the benefit of adopting an ex-racer through an organisation like GAP means we would get personality matched with our dog. Is there anything else you could add in terms of the benefits of greyhound ownership? Or negatives?

What about Whippets? Does anyone know of a Whippet rescue organisation in Melbourne, Australia?

Have I missed another breed that would be perfect for us? Dachshunds are on the list but I'm concerned about slipped discs and snappishness with kids. Happy to be convinced otherwise!

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions :eek:

Edited by bigheartfordogz

Sounds like you'd be a perfect candidate for either a whippet, greyhound or even an italian greyhound! They really all fit the bill of your description perfectly. I've owned all three.. but iggies are my definite fave! Never have I owned a dog so people orientated and cuddly.. I dont think I'll ever own another breed, they're just so beautiful! Nothing beats the personality of a big greyhound though.. such clowns, very lovable.

You should check out Vic GAP: http://gap.grv.org.au/ Looks like they've got some lovely hounds available :eek:.

There is also iggy rescue www.iggyrescue.com.au .. they seem to have a whippet X listed too! :mad

Edited by Skitch

Do greyhounds take up a lot of space in your home?

No.

goldie_diameter.jpg

_42113660_max_hand_luggage.gif

Not only do they fold up really small, but they will stay in that position for hours. Sometimes we have to go looking around the house for our greyhounds, because they are so unobtrusive, we don't even know where they are.

post-2283-1278073183_thumb.jpg

Thanks Skitch for those websites! The GAP one I've come across, and it's awesome, but the iggy one is new and they are one of the breeds I'm considering but hadn't posted about because I've heard they are really fragile and also prone to housebreaking difficulties. Has that been your experience? I'm particularly concerned for the Iggy because OH and I would be starting a family within the next 5 years and the dog and kids will need to co exist. I've heard even toddlers can break an Iggy :eek:

Greytmate your post had my OH and I in hysterics! Love that photo of the curled up grey. You've told me what I want to hear in terms of them not taking up too much space. The more I hear the more I love the sound of the breed and think we'd be perfect for them and vice versa.

Hiya, iggies are pretty fragile while they are growing. Most leg break occur between 4 -12 months of age. My 4yr old iggy Capri scales the fences between the dog yards without a problem. He can also jump from the ground the top of the outdoor table and down again. Once they are adults the chances of a broken leg are much less.

Kids and iggies are ok IF you teach your child how to handle a toy sized dog. If you think your child may be a bruiser then perhaps a larger sighthound would be better.

Housebreaking can be an issue, but if you are consistent and determined you can successfully housebreak them. I have two iggy bitches that are litter trained. They use a large litter tray lined with newspaper. Some ppl could not live with this - I can. However I cant live with a dog that yaps, but many can.

Iggies are definately not for everybody, they are quirky eccentric little dogs who are bursting with character. They bond closely with their owner but are often aloof with strangers. Personally I prefer iggies to the larger sighthounds- but i am a TAD biased. Once you've owned and loved an iggy, you will be a devotee for life :eek:

Albury dog rescue has some gorgeous whippet crosses at the moment too!

Edited by indigirl

The house breaking issues are true to an extent. Our iggy isn't TOO bad.. a few months ago he was 100% perfect but now that it's cold he doesn't seem to like the idea of going outside anymore lol! As long as we put him out every few hours he's fine.. but he certainly doesnt 'ask' to go! If you miss his potty break he'll go in the shower recess which I think is pretty good all things considered! He's crate trained and never has an accident in his crate either.. so all in all I dont think he's too bad. Some iggy owners have no problems though.. it's weird. I think the fact that our little guy is undesexed certainly exacerbates the problem. But yes, in short they have a rep for being difficult to toilet train.. there's actually a really good article on iggy rescue about it though :eek:.

As for the fragility.. I think as long as you dont leave the iggy and the child unsupervised it should be fine! And really, what sort of person would leave ANY dog and a child unsupervised? I'm currently 4 months pregnant and not at all worried about iggy and the impending baby. I'm certainly going to be careful.. but not careful enough that I'll send our dog neurotic in the process! He's very curious about what's going on and seems to know that something is in my tummy because he sniffs it constantly. The doctor thinks he can hear the babies heart beat :mad awww. I think as long as kids grow up with a dog and know to treat it gently there shouldn't be too many problems!

And yeah I totally second what greymate says.. greyhounds aren't as big as people think they are! Often the female greys are much much smaller.. there's an amazing variance in size when looking at hounds individually.. you can get huge, big muscly ones.. and then little itty bitty petite ones only a but bigger than say a cattle dog! Whatever size they come in I've always found them to be gorgeous.. very funny dogs that are absolutely full of character :laugh:.

Edited by Skitch

Thanks Indigirl and Skitch for the clarity around leg breakages and kids- gosh you're so right you'd never ever leave a child alone with a dog!

I'm currently 4 months pregnant and not at all worried about iggy and the impending baby.

Congratulations Skitch on the soon to be new addition to your family! How cute that your Iggy is curious about the pregnancy, he sounds like a very endearing and intelligent little man :eek:

My greyhound girl is quite small. She weighs 25kg and often I have people asking if she is cross whippet. She is an absolute dream of a dog - an ex racer I adopted from Hawkesbury Pound.

The term you are looking for is dolichocephalic.

Sorry to sound harsh, but as a breeder of IGs for the last 20 yrs I am extremely reluctant to sell an IG to anyone with a young family under 4-5 yrs of age. While I know many people do make it work, it just makes me feel very uncomfortable. Children tend to want to pick dogs up and then drop them (or their toys ect) when they become bored or distracted. In my early years of breeding I had several young families come to meet their prospective new family member. I would insist they bring their children too. Every time the child would drop Iggy and in the end I decided no more young families. For me it is just too risky for the dog. As much as you try, you just cannot keep an eye on kids and dogs 24hrs. Accidents can and do happen. While IGs are stronger than they look, leg breaks can and do occur and cost upwards of $1000 to fix, let alone the hard work and heartbreak when it does happen. Indigirl is correct in saying most breaks occur in young dogs but is is something you need to consider if you do decide on an IG.

They are also somewhat demanding. If you dont want a dog that is "in your face" then go for a greyhound.

I have both, and while I will always have IGs, the greys are fast becoming real favourites. They are very clean, laidback and certainly dont take up much room. I can fit 4 greys (ranging from 24 - 35kg) plus two adults in a queen sized bed and still get a good nights sleep.

Yep, you defintely sound like the perfect family for a sighthound of some sort. Just be aware that some whippets would fit the bill perfectly, laid back and would happily sleep all day while you're out, but some are stressy and dont like being left alone. None of mine are like that and I am not sure whether it's temperament or upbringing.

Get a greyhound! My girl is an absolute dream. She can be stubborn but she is so gentle and so affectionate. She is just gorgeous. She is great with my kids and my other animals. :eek:

I have two Whippets and 2 kids under 5.

My Whippets are what I was looking for and more!

As with any dog, supervision and kids is the key, I am ususally correcting the child and rarely ever the dog.

They are great inside and i have have the two inside. They are quite often found on the lounge, but them and our old Stafford can be found all snuggled up together on the dog bed. Whippets tend to "stack" when they sleep.

As long as they got a walk and an off lead run at least a few times a week (in a fenced area) that would meet their exercise needs quite easily.

I have my WHippets around cats, kids, Guinea Pigs, Cattle, Sheep and Horses with no dramas what so ever.

The term you are looking for is dolichocephalic.

Thanks Shmoo!

I think for my situation, for the sake of the dog (and keeping my own neuroticism manageable!) I will focus my attention on researching Grey's and Whippets. IG's sound like a lovely little dog but perhaps a dog for later in life, when small children aren't on the horizon. Having grown up with Akita's I know how lovely it is to have a dog you can rough and tumble with :laugh:

No one has any thoughts on a Dachshund? My OH is quite enamoured with them and I must admit they are a lovely little dog. They don't seems to fit our criteria as well as a Whippet or a Grey however- for example, could a dachsie cope with a long brisk walk daily?

Whippets and Greyhounds are pretty much the same in temperament (I own both). I've had a whippet fence jumper (scaled 6 foot fences in one bound) but never had a grey attempt to fence jump. Both of the breeds don't get that "doggy smell" that some other breeds get. I call them both "wash n wear" dogs.

Both make great indoor dogs, just bare in mind that greys are exactly bench height for grabbing snacks :laugh: .

I advice against getting a puppy considering you work all day.

I advice against getting a puppy considering you work all day.

I should have mentioned that a dog between the age of 2 & 4 yrs of age is what we are looking for, there's no way on earth I'd leave a puppy home alone during the day. They'd need feeding whilst we'd be at work, not to mention love and attention. And I know what puppies are like, cute as a button and HARD WORK!!! :laugh:

Anyone have any contacts for whippet rescue organisations?

Also, I live in Melbourne and would really like to meet greys in the flesh. So far all my research has been online or word of mouth. Can anyone point me in the direction of a greyhound event, or a place I could go to meet the dogs and their owners?

I've met heaps of whippets- they are a great apartment dog and we live in an apartment dense suburb so every time I go out for coffee I'm able to bail up someone walking a Whippet :laugh: I've also rescued an escaped whippet who was running loose on a major highway and hung out with her for a day until her owners came to get her, so I know I utterly adore them. My OH grew up with a whippet cross also.

There is a greyhound walk oraganised for tomorrow at Karkarook Park near Moorabbin at 10.30. You are quite welcome to come along at have a chat and meet some of the greys. Some of us are carers for GAP so you might meet some that are looking for homes

Lynda