When You Just 'click' With A Breed

HeavyPaws

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked with, trained and owned GSD's for many years and to me, no other breed has big enough feet to fill their shoes.........totally adore the GSD :cry:

My last GSD passed on in 2005 at 15 years of age at the time a job opportunity came up for us to relocate to Australia and we made a decision, no more dogs as a dog days were over.

About 3 weeks into the new job in early '06, someone mentioned a friend of theirs contemplating euthanasing a 2 year old GSD that was aggressive and out of control which the comment stuck in the back of my head. Within a couple of hours I couldn't help myself to ask my work collegue if I could have a look at that dog which I did that night. He was a bit nervy and the owners couldn't handle him and was tied up out the back, anyway, I phoned my wife telling her that I need to bring this GSD home that was facing being PTS........she agreed and home he came that night and our dog days began all over again.

We have two GSD's now........can't live without Shepherd's in our lives :(

Cheers

Nev

I was fairly young when I found out I wanted to have a stafford. I would see them around town occasionally, and I finally got to meet on when a friend at school got one. After that I was sold. I pestered my mum for years but could never convince her as we still had another dog at the time. When she was PTS we never got another for a couple of years, then when I was turning 21 my mum asked me if I wanted to have a look at a litter of staffords that a guy she new through work told her about. So was either a 21st party or a dog. I chose the dog and have never had another breed the 14 years since :cry: I am pretty sure there will always be an SBT in my yard for as long as I want to or am able to have a dog, thats not to say I won't have another breed aswell :(

My heart just melts at the sight of every Labrador pup in existence, and a healthy looking adult Lab. I can't help but stare at the Guide Dogs I see on the train and out and about. My love affair with the Lab started long before I got to actually own one. I love a few other breeds but Labs are definitely MY breed!

I fell in love with Shelties when I saw one of tv doing agility, it was the most beautiful little thing flying around the course. Went to look at a litter a couple of months later, just to look of course, ended up with Holly, my heart dog, she was my best friend for 16 years. Now I have Merlin, he is almost 8 months old now, hoping to get another Sheltie soon

I will always have a Sheltie or two in my life now :cry:

I love most breeds of dogs (and crosses) but had never gone goo-goo over a dog. I have always liked Mallys but know I could never handle one.

However, at a dog meet, a little bundle of fluff came flying over to me and jumped on my lap. I had NO idea what it was and had to ask. And that was my first experience with a lappie. Since then, I have read everything I can find about them, spoken to everyone I can who owns one, and met 2 more in the flesh. And I am hooked. They tick all my boxes and are everything I want in a dog. I want a cuddly, energetic, intelligent lap dog, who is good with kids, cats and other dogs. I hope to eventually get a lappie and have already spoken to several breeders.

My family has always had great dane crosses but Dad had always loved german shepherds especially white ones, but couldn't ever get one cause all the local GSD breeders culled whites.

since Dad's death I have discovered White Shepherds and now I'm hooked; I was hooked the moment I saw a picture of one on google but once I met one in the flesh at my local breeders place I knew there was no going back - Now I should get my pup in about 2 months *yipee*

But I love most big dogs and will always have one. I won't ever have a small dog

Shepherds Are For ME :cry:

My first dog was a chihuahua and for me they will always be special, my family had a gorgeous bitsa for many years so of course i do love the mutts as well. My sibe was a bit of a shock to the system being so different to any other dog I had ever had anything to do with, even though he is far more work and challenge than I ever could have anticipated I find the thought of never having another sibe difficult. I am in love with white shepherds too and so will definitely have one of those in the future.

Hard to say which breed I have 'clicked' with the most but I think my husky has been the one who has had the most affect on me and changed the way I think about dogs. (eta or more specifically breeds and breed characteristics)

Edited by WoofnHoof

My prefered breed is the Great Dane - have always been in love with photos and the such but totally fell in love when I went to a show and got to hang out with Riesenhaft and her crew. Her old boy Norton was just a dream to hang out with and now I read and research lines for the one day that I will be able to bring a dane into my life.

Ive always loved boofas and thats how Brembo came into our life. He was an 8 week old mastiff/rottie cross at the RSPCA and my OH and I fell for him hard. Turns out he is more than likely a staffy x lab ( 2 breeds Im not overly fond of) and he never quite grew into the huge dog we thought he would be but we love him all the same. He is my heart dog.

My OH always had Blue/Red heelers growing up and wanted a blue heeler bitch but I couldnt do it as I had a Red heeler bitch growing up and couldnt replace her. So I convinced him that a Rhodesian Ridgeback was the way to go. We have had Sierra for 2 years now and he is smitten. We will always have at least one RR in our life now.

Weeeeelll - I love my BC's and would never be without them, but I have always wanted a Saint Bernard, ever since I was a teenager I wanted one. I saved up for one but ended up buying a horse instead!! Still would love one but just not practical now.

Your post made me smile and laugh!

The way you described your OH sounds as exactly like mine! (Except yours know a bit more about dogs!) I've always been the one in the house who's mad about dogs. I am so glad to hear that he's found a breed that "clicks"!

I like all sorts of dogs... I am not sure if I've ever "clicked" but I have to say I have a real soft spot for Cavaliers as I grew up with one and my girl was just so beautiful and has a wonderful temperament.

Now that I have a JS I get excited over any dog that is fluffy like him. I love Samoyds cos they are like giant versions of him and all I want to do is cuddle one!

The boyfriends will always stop to pat a Malamute.. he will deny it but they are his favorite breed. when our neighbours malamute comes out, the boyfriend will always go over for a pat and occassionally sneak in some treats for her. She is beautiful. Got upset when he sees Malamutes pups in pet stores... not really other dogs, only the Mallys.

I just love spitz breed... always going to have one (or two or three). We are going to have disagreements when it's time for our next dog!!

Growing up with mostly cross breeds, I'm always going to have a soft spot for them too.

my life would never be quite complete without a Chihuahua and/or a Chow Chow . I work with dogs for 25 yrs , owned many breeds as well, but never never will i be without a Chi, nor a Chow if i can help it.

Luck would have it that i currently own a second chance Chi & a second chance Chow :laugh:

I think I'll always have a Spitz breed. Getting a Husky was originally OH's choice, because he'd always wanted one since he was a kid, but since getting Akira I've decided that I just love the Spitz temperament. I've always liked Samoyeds as well (a friend of ours had one named Ruski when I was a kid) and after meeting Ella today, I'm certain that OH and I will one day consider getting a Lappie.

When I was little there was an Irish Setter who used to just hang around. He was a big gentle loveable dog so much so that my father included him in the night time stories he used to make up when us kids had trouble sleeping. His name was 'Big Red'. Now this was in the day when everyones dogs had free run of the neighbourhood so there was always a great variety of dogs about but he really made an impression on me. The way he looked, the way he ran, he was majestic looking but goofy as well.

I will always seek out an Irish when the opportuniy arises and one day I would love to have one...one day!

As someone who has been raised on a farm and has had most animals from a kangeroo to horses I often laugh about the fact that my OH has absolutely no interest in having pets.I would actually say one of my hobbies or passions in life is my animals where as OH has no attachment to any of our pets.Love him to death though as he never says a word each time the zoo grows, even with the last pet, a lorikeit when he has a phobia about birds!!!!

As for myself I used to go to hospital a lot as a child.On one visit someone had brought in their Dalmatian and I was smitten.Since that day I have loved the breed which was about 22 years ago.My parents bought me a beautiful, little, liver girl from wonderful breeders who took me under their wing.I also ended up with her sister who was pick of the litter a bit later on, on breeders terms and kept one of her sons.

So untill I went to uni and shareliving I had a Dal in my life.Suddenly I had nothing...very depressing and so as soon as my OH and I moved to a rural area and I had enough backyard for a bigger dog, I went looking for another Dal and got Dragon.I think his personality is the male Dal to a T.Though he will bark at boogiemen I always say if a burgular walked onto the property Dragon would wag his tail and point to where I am, "She's that way Sir!".He is my shadow and ALWAYS, ALWAYS greets me after I have driven in the driveway, open the door and he pops his head in so glad to see me.

I searched for a smaller breed when Emily was a toddler so she could have a dog to grow up with.I found the Cavalier and just adore them for their nature.My parents caught the bug and now they have three cavs themselves.I reckon thats the way its is with cavs...you can't stop at one!

Definately Dobermanns. We had 2 while I was growing up and they were so patient and tolerant of me. I got one while pregnant with my first daughter and he was the most amazing dog. I lost him to cancer 2 years ago and wasn't sure if i could have another one (i didn't want to get a new dobe and be disappointed if he wasn't as wonderful as Sarge). We are now the proud owners of 'Acheron', a 17 week old black & tan Dobie! I'm glad i waited a few years to get another one ( i am very picky about what a dobe should look like and it was worth waiting until i found what i wanted), but i know i will always have a Dobe. My OH has a 'thing' for British Bulldogs. We will probably end up getting one, eventually!

This is such a sweet thread! Having only got my first dog just under a year ago, I didn't know what I was missing out on. Now, whenever I see pretty much any dog, I can't help smiling :rofl: I hope I always have a dog around from now on (sorry to my gorgeous puddy cats, I always thought I was a cat person until I got a dog :) what a traitor :love: )

I don't think I've been around dogs enough to know if there is one particular breed I totally click with, and if so, what it is but so far:

I looooove my poodle x Saxon, could not be happier, and know it is particularly the poodie traits I love, so they're on the list... Can't wait to get my Puggie (next dog), totally love the big personality and the cuddly little package it comes in.

I also love GSDs, don't know what it is about them, but I think they are the most amazing creatures, I think it's something to do with amazing power and strength contained with a thoughtful, curious and responsive-to-humans character that seems like a privilege to be around...

I don't know if I have "a" breed. I love lots. I have a special spot for Great Danes because of my first girl. She was just amazing. I have always loved the herding breeds and can't see myself ever being without one of them. I am now also head over heels for Greyhounds. I like Frenchies and Newfoundlands too. My all time favourite breed is the Bull Terrier but I can't see me owning one any time soon. One day. :)