Agility Training Talk Thread

I am going to do the spiral for my 2 dogs, and the straight like in my pic above for mum's dog.

To get it like I did it, line your 4 strands up one colour after the other (I think, I'd have to redo it to remember!) I think to get spiral, you start off with the 2 colours together.

Mine first started out spiralled but I undid it as I was determined to get the straight look! laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I think it was in this thread that all the links for the various tug leads were posted. I have had a scan but no luck finding them. I know 1 was static paws and that was posted a couple of pages ago but I remember a discussion and quite a few links being put up. Does anyone have them?

Now that I am actually training Jazz regularly I would like to get her a nice matingale all in 1 lead to make life easier.

Can't help with the Aussie sites posted, but the one I've had my eye on for a while now is www.rushtotug.com

I was going to order, but have decided to make my own now!

I got mine from Statik Paws http://statikpaws.weebly.com

That looks great, RubyStar!

Can't help with the Aussie sites posted, but the one I've had my eye on for a while now is www.rushtotug.com

I was going to order, but have decided to make my own now!

Thanks, I think that was the 1 I was trying to remember. If not Ness PMd me another 1 as well. Checked out Statikpaws too :)

:rofl: wuffles here you go - http://endzonedogs.b...e-obstacle.html

Kenz is interesting when we finished up at the end of last year she was a nothing suck - not that she didn't have value for the obstacles its just that she was responsive to body language. We never seemed to have typical off-course suck issues. Her first and only go in Excellent Jumping there was a super inviting tunnel and lots of dogs went into it but Kenz was so tuned into my body language that it never even entered the equation. I am not sure if that is the product of having done significant amounts of flatwork and foundation handling before putting the equipment into the picture. Has anybody else found this?

Edited by ness

Glad to see I'm not the only one :rofl:

Edit: Yes, Ava definitely needs to learn to watch my body language more. I generally have the most problems with her at the start of training when she is excited - she likes to make up her own courses. The second time through she improves. Definitely something for us to work on.

Edited by wuffles

lol tonight at training we had the dog walk out. kuda has only seen the dog walk once or twice before, but we have done a lot of 2o2o work in the back yard. tonight she was loving the dog walk, and would leave me, bolt over to the end of it and offer a "touch" (or 2o2o) :laugh: little creep! i think it was also because i focused on it so much it has a lot of value to her! we did a bit of flatwork between the obstacles to remind her to read her mamas body! it was pretty cute, and hard not to laugh...on the bright side she was going over the DW with so much confidence, and providing awesome 2o2o finishes :D love that dog! :laugh:

I've heard of dogs having tunnel suck before but my dog seems to find the table irresistible :o Anyone else's dogs have a favourite obstacle?

Yep, A-Frame. It used to be tunnel, but with a tunnel under the A-Frame, both dogs opted for the A-Frame.... just goes to show that the most rewarded obstacles are the favourites! Tunnels don't get rewarded but they are more fun than jumps so suck them in, but Tunnel vs A-Frame, A-Frame wins!

I was so embarrassed a few weeks ago. There were 3 jumps in a row at the start with an A-Frame off to the far right after the 3rd jump (but it wasn't part of the course until like number 14 or something). BOTH dogs when released from start line, made a bee-line for the A-Frame without even negotiating the jumps in front of them :banghead::o But I can't expect any less, I don't really train much and when I do, I don't really know what I'm doing laugh.gif I think it's called the "point and pray" handling system rofl1.gif

Jazz at the moment has 0 value for the tunnel - she doesn't seem to consider it an obstacle. It is hard work getting her to do that and having had a tunnel suck dog before I'm not too worried about making it fun just yet - I'm sure she will work it out.. The dog walk however we only had out at full height for the second time tonight and she did a 180 away from me to go run the dog walk. LOL

Does anyone think that agility training (at clubs) 3 times a week is too much for a novice dog? It will be late nights for wed, thurs and then on Sunday. I also have the guilts about leaving my other dog behind.

depends on whats being covered IMO. if one night was flatwork, one night motivation and one night obstacles for example, i would be in heaven :laugh: i try and train that much, but with no lighting in the yard, and getting home after dark, it doesn't leave much time!

i wish i had a club with that kind of schedule! :)

I've heard of dogs having tunnel suck before but my dog seems to find the table irresistible :o Anyone else's dogs have a favourite obstacle?

Mine are both pretty tuned in to me. I have to watch Trim with weaves though...if I am not prepared, she will "misread ;) " my cues to go do them. Shine used to be an AF suck but she seems to be over it.

Mine are both pretty tuned in to me. I have to watch Trim with weaves though...if I am not prepared, she will "misread ;) " my cues to go do them. Shine used to be an AF suck but she seems to be over it.

My girls LOVES the dog walk! In a competition I have plan the course and where I stand based around this. If she gets near it she is going up!

She also loves the tunnel - use to be her favourite. The other night at training the tunnel was in a semi circle and the next piece of eqipment was behind. My girl ran out the tunnel, then straight back in, and round and round she went. I wonder how many times she would have kept going round and round through the tunnel......I stopped her at 3, so I think at least 4. :rofl: She was having fun. :thumbsup:

Just a little, small brag. My girl has had always run off, got bored or did a lot of sniffing (calming signals) when doing agility and we were getting nowhere. Since building up drive for different obstacles (a lot of driving to and from crates), a lot of motivation building (tugs, toys) and much more focus work and games to build our relationship... she is just doing so well.

I don't train at a club right now, because she is reactive and lacking a fair bit of confidence, but we do go out to another club to just hang out and do training on the sideline. I have a wonderful friend who is helping me out and we go to her place twice a week. And of course I train at home.

Our latest thing has been setting up some jumping drills (just a double box to practice some front crosses). I thought maybe she wouldn't be ready. But she loved every minute of it. She focussed on me, watched my cues (amazing in itself, because I'm not flash), and her enjoyment was plain to see. She wanted more and I quit whilst we were ahead. We did numerous little sessions. She didn't get distracted, she was happy to work with me. :cry: I would never have thought we'd come this far. She is brilliant in my eyes. Although the build up has been so much fun I actually felt we were doing 'agility'. I feel we can really build on what we've got now.

And these things have filtered through all our other training and our relationship. I have learnt so many valuable things through this girl and I just think she's amazing. :heart:

One of the dogs I run is a see saw addict! We have not faced see saws in competition yet as we are not at that level, but we have just finished training her on them and now whenever we walk past one at training she will do it and come back with a huge grin on her face like "wasn't a good girl!!"- so cute!