Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lia smile.gif. It's going to be a big year for the pups next year with sheep & agility. I'm exhausted just thinking about it laugh.gif

Fly is looking great Vickie...can't wait to see her in action next year. I guess she will be competing with Cricket, or is she a 400 ?

Fly is looking great Vickie...can't wait to see her in action next year. I guess she will be competing with Cricket, or is she a 400 ?

I haven't measured them Sheena, but pretty sure both pups will be 500, definitely not 400. They're bigger than Trim & smaller than Shine who are both 500.

:) I suspect Cricket will be out of Novice by the time they start to trial, judging by the few clips ive seen of him. We may see you in Excellent :)

Had my first agility trial in a looooong time last night, have really missed it! I was actually a bit disappointed that the club ran it so efficiently that it finished early laugh.gif

No passes for Millie last night, but some near misses. I pulled her off a jump too early in JDM causing 1 refusal, but gosh the course was lovely! I would have loved to run it again laugh.gif She also did nicely in JDO but took the wrong tunnel entry (NFI how on earth that happened, the tunnel entry was the OTHER SIDE confused.gifembarrass.gif) but I'm quite pleased she got the distance challenge (it wasn't too challenging) and she got her weave entry, because weaving seamlessly as part of a course is our biggest bugbear at the moment :(

Looking forward to getting back into training next year and hopefully fitting more trials in.

My pups are starting young. 3 weeks old and they put themselves through a cat tunnel today and checked out a balance disc. Both put all 4 feet on it and the girl even turned a circle and laid down, lol.

If I put enough stuff in their run they could train themselves, lol.

My pups are starting young. 3 weeks old and they put themselves through a cat tunnel today and checked out a balance disc. Both put all 4 feet on it and the girl even turned a circle and laid down, lol.

thumbsup1.gif Sounds like they are predestined to be awesome :)

thumbsup1.gif Sounds like they are predestined to be awesome :)

They might be, shame about their handler though, lol. I don't remember my last litter being as into everything but then there were also 9 of them so I was a lot busier and spent a lot more time doing things for them like cleaning up rather than just being able to observe and interact. I do think they will have a much better people focus as they get a lot more interaction. My time spent with them is probably less over all than last time but time per pup is a lot more. And with 9, I just couldn't do as much of the 1:1 stuff with them that I wanted to.

• 5 weeks later...

Will try get some videos of Elsie uploaded once I get a new laptop *cries*

Adding another 4 weave poles in today and might give full size dogwalk a try... One thing with running contacts, it gets hard to find a safe way to raise height of your contact if you don't have an adjustable dogwalk... I have been using old tables and podiums, but its unsafe for Elsie to jump up to that height now... Will give full size a go today, if that doesn't work.... Hmmm will have to put my thinking cap on!

Thanks, guys, she's a lot of fun to train thumbsup1.gif So enthusiastic about it - that was her letting out a little excited squeak each time I sent her to the weaves laugh.gif

Great drive - can I ask what method you used?

2x2 :)

Except she just wasn't getting the whole 6 + 6 with a space between it, so I went stuff it, just gonna put them all together and let her work through it. Didn't take long at all for her to do all of them once she was already doing 6.

One issue though (which I had, and sometimes do still have with Millie), is weave Pippa on my right and she gets to about #10 and gets unsure and either pulls out or really thinks hard about it and slows up. It is obviously me if Millie did it too, but buggered if I know what I'm doing confused.gif The only thing I can think of is they are both primarily used to working on my left for obedience, so being on my right throws them? confused.gif I know Pippa's stronger jumping side is still on my left, but we haven't done a lot of jumping yet. I've been too busy concentrating on weaves and contacts to really do a lot of jumping work yet embarrass.giflaugh.gif Will be changing that, though, and my focus will heavily be on jumping skills over the next few months. Lots of Alphabet Drills and short simple sequences thumbsup1.gif

But it wasn't all wasted training, as she's got the best contacts out of my Labs which is very embarrassing laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Thanks. Fergus has started popping out after 10 too. Any other number he does perfectly and I can mix and match. But when I put 12 together he pops at 10. I'm giving it a break as I don't want it to become patterned.

She is a mini schnauzer, of course she beats the labs! *just joking lab people*

She's looking great RS. Love 2x2. :thumbsup: I guess the only thing I can think of with the pulling out at 10 when she's on your right, is to keep at it, making sure the reward is thrown straight doen the line. I guess you could switch to 4 poles for a while to still work the straight line exit, but take the physical pressure of weaving 12. You do the same thing - work both sides - work round the clock, lateral distance, proofing against handler motion etc. etc.