Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need lots of things from there, though, and that is just asking for trouble to make me good looking :D On a bit of a stricter budget these days, which is why I didn't buy it even when on free shipping :( Although, I did buy 2 of the $12.95 DVD's :o But I got $3 off for buying 2, and free shipping, so it was a bargain! I got the Shaping for Demand one, and the other was called something like Start Lines and Impulse Control Games (it's no longer on their website).

Clean Run Ready Treat -

http://www.cleanrun....Product_ID=2139

:D Thanks ness. And no - not tempted :laugh:

I was tempted when it was free shipping - now at $38 for postage alone, no thanks!! laugh.gif

I bought one of those & it was a waste of money. You still have to manually load each treat & it is so noisy when it opens that it startles the dogs. I have chucked it into the bottom of the cupboard :(

I find the treat pouches much better. You can throw them ahead & when the dog reaches it, open it up & give a treat and/or tug.

Edited by sheena

Thanks for posting the link ness - it's been my night time :D

What sheena says is true - but I knew that before I bought it and use it for very specific exercises and situations. Loading individual treats every time - I make a big deal of baiting it (like a bait plate for obedience). In the beginning the dogs nosed it but now they realise that won't work and it builds so much enthusiasm and excitement for the exercise. Zig is a notorious self rewarder if you leave a toy etc at the end of an obstacle so this is great for him. Noisy - yes, a bit - but I conditioned the dogs to it first so they associated the noise with success. Even the cats come running if I'm training indoors and Em lets Lilly eat her treat :laugh: I've used it for change of position (Zig), dumbbell retrieve (Zig and it made a huge difference to him - running to the reward, timing etc just added a real edge to an exercise that he has never fully embraced) and weaves (both). For Em it was the revelation she needed for independence and focussing forward without game in the picture :D I've tried getting Mr TSD to help but, as mentioned previously, his timing is not his strong point and I wanted to be able to reward minute improvements. My goal this year is independent contacts for both dogs and I will include the Ready Treat in the plan - I have done some early work and the results are promising. At club training I will sneak it into the middle of a course - Em loves that as a surprise!. I don't use it every day or the same way for every exercise but I love it as another tool for problem solving.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Agree also that the remote is not brilliant but it's a bloody sight better than Mr TSD :laugh: (he is sending me daily updates on The Zoo to help with the long days and homesickness so I can't be too hard on him!)

Once the dogs understand the game I find their performance doesn't drop if the thing doesn't open - which is more likely when you're trying to do distance work and more advanced stuff. If anything they get MORE excited - they begin to understand that they have done the exercise perfectly so where's the damn treat!!!!! Bright sun doesn't help the remote either - Clean Run have a really good article on the pros/cons of the RT and the MM. Both have their merits - for me the RT is small and easy to fade or sneak in to a course when they're not looking and I can use yummier treats. Plus it's cheaper. It has it's faults absolutely but the manufacturers are very up front about them and I just work around them. I'd like an MM as well but I just bought a pair of Muck Boots to bring home so really can't justify it :D

Thanks for posting the link ness - it's been my night time :D

What sheena says is true - but I knew that before I bought it and use it for very specific exercises and situations. Loading individual treats every time - I make a big deal of baiting it (like a bait plate for obedience). In the beginning the dogs nosed it but now they realise that won't work and it builds so much enthusiasm and excitement for the exercise. Zig is a notorious self rewarder if you leave a toy etc at the end of an obstacle so this is great for him. Noisy - yes, a bit - but I conditioned the dogs to it first so they associated the noise with success. Even the cats come running if I'm training indoors and Em lets Lilly eat her treat :laugh: I've used it for change of position (Zig), dumbbell retrieve (Zig and it made a huge difference to him - running to the reward, timing etc just added a real edge to an exercise that he has never fully embraced) and weaves (both). For Em it was the revelation she needed for independence and focussing forward without game in the picture :D I've tried getting Mr TSD to help but, as mentioned previously, his timing is not his strong point and I wanted to be able to reward minute improvements. My goal this year is independent contacts for both dogs and I will include the Ready Treat in the plan - I have done some early work and the results are promising. At club training I will sneak it into the middle of a course - Em loves that as a surprise!. I don't use it every day or the same way for every exercise but I love it as another tool for problem solving.

I don't think the noise would phase my dogs and they too would associate it with REWARD TIME! and like you, I would make a big deal of loading it up like I am baiting a target. I don't actually use a target, I shaped my 2o2o contact without one, so what I do is now for driving forward without me in front of them is place a treat at the end of the contact and show them, then take them to the other side and release for the obstacle. So far they're not cheating laugh.gif But I can foresee many cheats if I used that approach for weaves and jumping! I should have got one, but I guess no use crying about it now!

Sheena, are you looking to offload yours by any chance? laugh.gif

Small update to Pippa's weaving. I did as I think ness said to try, and see if she would drive to the end without me. Yep, I sent her and waited at the beginning and she did all 12 on her own (sending her on her strong side, my left). Didn't send her on like that on my right, but I did go with her on my right. First time she pulled out at 10 again, second time she did all 12 confidently. I wish I knew what I was doing! Because Millie is still doing the same thing on occasion. Sigh!! laugh.gif

Next week I will just set up 4 or 6 and work on more difficult entries. However, last night I did set up 3 jumps around the weaves to test left and right and straight on entries and Pippa's entries were pretty good. Better than the Labs embarrass.giflaugh.gif Still a lot of work to do on those to make them much better, though.

With the help of a buddy, we FINALLY got Pippa over the full sized A-Frame!! thumbsup1.gif Woohooooo!!!

Also did some double box work with the girls. Pippa is doing very well for minimal jump work, so I'm happy that she's on track :D What a fun night last night!! thumbsup1.gif

I would probably keep working on building up to sending her through all 12 with you on the right and left and not following behind. A little like you might proof jumping skills - remove yourself from the equation and then start adding in things like you moving away on her current strong side and then trying to build the same proofing into the other side.

Sounds like she is doing well though :thumbsup:.

Hi everyone :wave:

After getting back into training last night, I have realised that both of my dogs' weavepole performances need improved :laugh: I need to get them doing better entries...for example, they will only enter the pole closest to me, so if I was ahead of the first pole, say 4 poles in, they would enter the 3rd or 4th pole. Any suggestions or reccommended youtube videos I could watch on methods/techniques to improve this? :)

Hudson and I just had THE BEST morning training agility, he was so focused and switched on today!

Added another pole to our weaves, worked on driving forwards (he was driving down 3 jumps to the table without me!) and we also started serpentines and a little practice on the A frame (which he LOVES.. maybe too much!)

Going to start working through the alphabet drills soon with my trainer to practice some rear crosses, he still does a spin around to look at me but getting heaps better!

Alphabet drills are great - I like them because I'm not very creative and they uncover (and help fix) holes in my training :D

LOL pie ...exactly why I like them :-). Also some don't require to much equipment, and can be done in a relatively small flat space. Played around with some tonight ..some of O, and part of J. :-)