Agility Training Talk Thread

Rory says ... way to go AD and lil sis ????. One of the things we were learning at the workshop with Nancy is that sometimes it's necessary to apply the brakes a bit ... he was learning to respect my decel cues. Will be interesting to see if he still remembers when we get to be able to practise again.

:) Cool.

I taught too much decel with baby Woo - cos the other two had NONE. The cool thing is that once she starts running hard the decel is still in there - been a big job to put the accel in.

Word for the week.......balance.......

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Hope your training is going well... We had our 'Graduation' night last night at Agility. Hemi and I passed, and we are skipping Adult Foundation 2 and going straight up to Elementry!

This was us doing the dog walk, tunnel, scramble then a jump. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10201635686918123&set=vb.1357381184&type=2&theater Hope the link works.

Had the best two nights at training this week, SO stoked with how Elsie is coming along! She is keeping me sprinting at full speed, and we now have left weave entries (which had magically disappeared for awhile), and tonight she was nailing all sorts of hard entries and I was rear crossing at speed in the weaves, not even a hint of popping out! :thumbsup: Did have trouble with one sequence though, a 180 + front cross into a hurdle with a call off a weave to another hurdle... First I was trying to front cross in the wrong place and sending her across the face of the second jump, then failed at calling her off the weave way too many times, finally managed it with a false turn but I ended up in the wrong place and she went around the last hurdle :laugh: we gave up, then gave it another go later and it was perfect! Love my talented pup :thumbsup:

:laugh: DD ... loved that description of your problem sequence ... welcome to my world :D

Had the weave poles up at home this evening .. with a couple of jumps .. all I can fit on my small amount of flat space. First agility training for the feral girl for a month .. she was pretty good .. and the boy hadn't done any for a couple of weeks .. DWD workshop the weekend before, and rally and obedience trial (successful) last weekend .. he did a good job of his weaving too .. including rear cross, and some awkward entries .. and he's getting speed up. Now to see if that translates into a trial. I have to remember to treat it as a training exercise and not to get frantic and rushed ... that's all :rofl:

Hi agility people :wave:

I hear there's a trial on this weekend? Something about state champs? I've found the event in the DogsSA calendar but there is no venue listed and no further information. On the schedules page of the AgilitySA website there is a broken link to what is supposed to be a catalogue for the event (I think).

I'm keen to come and have a look see, if anyone can shed some light that would be great! :thumbsup:

We started agility at Castle Hill last week, Gus is a pretty hyper active, selectively hearing dog in the first place so the first time was a little overwhelming for him I think lots of other dogs (his not great at ignoring them just yet) but lastnight I think he did great!! definatly going to get more into this sport I think it seems like heaps of fun so far and Gus doesn't seem phased by the tunnel, tyre or wobble board.

Hi TheCheekyMonster!

I was also at Castle Hill last night! Glad to hear Gus went well! It is a busy club so keeping focus can be difficult until you get the hang of it. I'll look out for you next week (I am in the advanced class but sometimes peruse the beginners to see who is there).

Booker and I are going to be starting agility soon! We are going to be joining the Qld Agility & Jumping Dog Club :) Looking forward to it.

Any tips for getting started? Things I can be doing with him at home?

Hi TheCheekyMonster!

I was also at Castle Hill last night! Glad to hear Gus went well! It is a busy club so keeping focus can be difficult until you get the hang of it. I'll look out for you next week (I am in the advanced class but sometimes peruse the beginners to see who is there).

Ow awesome!, its a little harder to keep focus when people are letting their dogs play in the line! that was a little distracting Gus is very dog orientated, other dogs excite him so being in that environment really gets his tail wagging, trying to redirect his attention is achievable sometimes, trying to redirect his attention when there are two dogs having a jolly ol' play session next to him.... not so achievable hahah. I did notice it was a very big crowed its great! more people to meet.

Hi agility people :wave:

I hear there's a trial on this weekend? Something about state champs? I've found the event in the DogsSA calendar but there is no venue listed and no further information. On the schedules page of the AgilitySA website there is a broken link to what is supposed to be a catalogue for the event (I think).

I'm keen to come and have a look see, if anyone can shed some light that would be great! :thumbsup:

Did you end up going to the state championship

No, unfortunately :( was exhausted on the weekend after a couple of horrible night shifts and the weather didn't entice me at all, after spending the previous weekend out in the raining doing herding :p I know, what a sook right :laugh: Next time!

I thought I would try agility with my Lappie. The only problem is that she has never jumped at all - she climbs. She will wade through creeks and ditches but I don't think I have ever seen her actually jump. I can get her to put her front feet up on things but that is all. She has been checked by my vet and doesn't appear to have any physical issues.

Any ideas ?

I'd be surprised if she can't jump, sparkycat, although some dogs find clearing heights more difficult than others due to structure. Do you have a club near you? She needs to start on "bump jumps" which are nothing to do with height but everything to do with judging distance and getting the feel of it all.

Had a great day out with Ziggy on Saturday - he was really revved up, handled beautifully and a little TOO well at times....took my extended arm a little too literally in Open and was taking the far, far jumps :laugh: I will need to adjust that for next time! Ended up with 4 lovely JDM passes. Every error was definitely mine. Em ran really well - fast and zippy so confidence is up, control is just too easy - drop a shoulder gets her where she needs to go. Still having problems with her judging distance on jumps so she is taking off a bit early and knocking bars. I suspect that the better her long distance marking gets in retrieving the worse her jumping has become as she is just not used to looking in front of her. I can see an improvement with the training, though, so will just keep on the same path....can't do well at everything!

:thumbsup: 4 JDM passes :cheer: - way to go Mr Ziggy. Had to laugh at the 'far, far jumps'! And yes, it must be a bit hard for Em working out how far ahead she needs to focus in each discipline .. but the smart little cookie she is, I'm sure she'll get it sorted - with your help of course :D . Our last agility trial was postponed because of sever weather and grounds closed by council .. so we have to wait till next month .. then two weekends in a row - right in the middle of tracking season .. could be interresting :laugh: .

Had a great night at training working on a really difficult jumpers course... Had a jump going into a straight tunnel with a 3 hurdle serp after, Elsie NAILED it! I was so surprised! Really didn't think we could get a serp with me being that far back but she did SO well! We've lost left weave entries again though *sigh* right when we're got a trial on this weekend, and it'll probably rain on Wednesday and cancel training :cry: