Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's still such a baby and we haven't done a lot of training since April due to injury, weather and a busy schedule, but we had fun at the Royal Show and that's what counts :D

She's such a social butterfly laugh.gif Gonna have to tackle that, as she visited the judge several times that day embarrass.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Nice video RS! That announcers voice is so Australian :laugh:

We've been struggling with agility lately, not finding it that fun... Club issues, combined with other stuff and Elsie being a complete sh*t in the ring is taking the fun out of it! :( We've got nationals in a few weeks too, not expecting anything great - will be happy with a clear round or two haha.

Love it. Great article.

This lady:

Is a true inspiration. This dog, running with an Aussie handler medalled at the IFCS Continental Championships of the Americas - certainly no slouch. But Linda handles him with ease - because he is well trained and she trusts him. :)

Edited by Agility Dogs

She mentions teaching commitment, independence & sends. It's one thing to trust your dog, but you have to allow/teach them to drive forward first, and recognise when they are doing it,before you are able to trust them to do it. We are getting better, but this IMO, is one of the big things we are still behind in here in Aust.

Edited by Vickie

She mentions teaching commitment, independence & sends. It's one thing to trust your dog, but you have to allow/teach them to drive forward first, and recognise when they are doing it,before you are able to trust them to do it. We are getting better, but this IMO, is one of the big things we are still behind in here in Aust.

ABSOLUTELY agree with all of this - especially the last sentence.

Agility training has been a bit light on lately, what with retrieving trials, inclement weather and life in general, but it appears that suits my dogs very well :laugh: I have worked on specific issues with both of them (keeping bars up for Em and decels for Zig) and that was all we needed for today.

Ziggy had one good run after another although I robbed him of several quallies with an on course micro sleep :o Lovely JDO run for a 5th place (58 dogs entered) and his JDO2 title :thumbsup: I think there is video somewhere....just waiting to see.

Em blew me away. The. Best. Runs. Of. Her. Life. She was only entered in 2 Excellent Jumping runs and ran hard and clean in both of them. No hesitation, full of self confidence and joy yet took every shoulder turn with sublime style and ease. I said "through" for the tunnel, called her once whilst she was in the tunnel for a tight turn but otherwise kept my mouth shut - I have improved too :D I am so excited that something has 'clicked' for this crazy Springer and I'm beginning to see her agility potential. Sorry for the rave - just been looking for the missing link between training and trialing for a little while :)

2 x 2nd place for her JDX title. It will be lovely to have both dogs running Masters Jumping courses...no more clashes!!!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Well done TSD! I didn't know it was her title! Congrats :D

We had, shall we say and interesting day! We ended up with one pass and a 3rd place in excellent agility, nearly had a second and her title if not for a silly handler getting lost on the easy part of the course! LMAO All good, I don't particulary want to go up to masters just yet for agility :)

We had heaps of fun, and I was thrilled with our runs even if they were a little (ok alot!) messy, but she thought I was funny when I stuffed up :laugh: Lucky for me, otherwise I think she will be looking for handler with better memory skills :p

Edited by tollersowned

Well done on your qually TO :thumbsup: Masters courses today were an interesting combination of tight with lots of "choices", run hard, then tight again. I liked them but it's not hard to get lost! It does get easier I promise :D

I think I swore every time I sent Em into the tunnel on her 2nd JDX run....I had to quickly relocate to give the next positional cue and I could see madly flapping Springer ears bearing down on me :laugh: So glad I have some private group lessons starting on Tuesday - I need all the help I can get!!!

:thumbsup::cheer::champagne: woohooo TSD and Em - that is wonderful - and sounds like she did it in real style. What a buzz - and as you say - nice to have them both in the same class.

And sounds like a good day for you TO - title won't be long now. And getting lost on the easy part of a hard course - yep - been there, done that ... more than once!!!!

TSD - private lessons - you lucky duck. I sooo need that, especiallly with the misguided missile. Did a little training at club yesterday - and I am getting a little more acknowledgement in the presence of contacts - in his defence, he hardly ever sees them cos I don't have them and don't have room at home. Today did a bit of jumping and weave training with a newbie friend. The missile was a little bit less misguided, but oh my goodness, I need to be thinking fast. He does have directionals, but it takes me a moment to remember to use them and get them right. Not helped by the fact that I also use them for directed jumping in UD training, and then it's the mirror image - confusing for an old lady - but not for the dog, apparently :rofl: . We have trials coming up this weekend at Launceston Royal. Will be interesting and fun.

Well done on your qually TO :thumbsup: Masters courses today were an interesting combination of tight with lots of "choices", run hard, then tight again. I liked them but it's not hard to get lost! It does get easier I promise :D

I think I swore every time I sent Em into the tunnel on her 2nd JDX run....I had to quickly relocate to give the next positional cue and I could see madly flapping Springer ears bearing down on me :laugh: So glad I have some private group lessons starting on Tuesday - I need all the help I can get!!!

Are those the lessons at awesome paws? Lucy and I are doing them this month too.

Are those the lessons at awesome paws? Lucy and I are doing them this month too.

Small world, I shall see you there! :laugh:

-----

I think my main problem is my mind wanders very easily, so I concentrate on the hard parts and then forget where I am at for the easy part haha, one day it will all come together :laugh:

Yes, it's Awesome Paws - I'm doing it with Em as she is a very different dog to run than Zig. Not just speed but style, gait and temperament. See you there!

Cool. I'll be the fatty with the mini schnauzer - arriving late. I'm sure Lucy will get overwhelmed and shut down a bit. It will be nice to meet Miss Em (and you!) in person.