How Many Toys Should A Puppy Have?

aussielover

Just wondering how many toys a puppy should have. I kind of feel bad because my other doggie Clover actually only ever had one toy in her whole life (given to her by someone else) but she didn't really seem to need or even like them. She was never destructive and never showed any inclination of wanting to rip things to shreds (unlike some...hem, Mindy)She was a massive ball fan- the rubber ball was like the only toy she ever used.

Miss Mindy has quite a few toys:

a puppy kong which she has some of her meals in

A rubber chew bone (hardly ever uses unless smeared with peanut butter or we play with her)

A number of soft squeaky: she plays with these alot, even by herself

A massive duck

A ball

Various homemade toys- usually recycling or the like.

She never seems satisified with these toys and is always on the lookout for new potential toys.

She is deprived as you can see:

post-31284-1278480797_thumb.jpg

:laugh: I love the picture of the stash.

My Rory (now 21 months) is a real toy lover - will often cuddle one, or carry one round in his mouth. Sometimes he will add other items to his stash - like a stick he's brought in from outside, or a draughtstopper, or a bath mat :rofl: .

Kirra on the other hand is not a toy girl. The only toys she reallly likes are the ones we play with - and for the most part she only bothers with them when we're interacting - so tuggies of various sorts (Kong Wubba friends are favourites) and balls.

So while I'm tempted to answer - they can never have too many - it actually seems to depend on the dog.

I was all for the toys as I did not want my furniture being ruined! As it turns out, the furniture has survived but our clothes and shoes haven't!

Needless to say, Genevieve has a few, but I keep them stashed in different areas of the house. That way when she moves into a new room or play area, she is re-united with a different toy! Her favourite (believe it or not) is actually a rubber door stopper, that she claimed for her own. We no longer use it to keep the door open, as she just pulls it out from beneath the door!

Someone recommended to me that we rotate a whole bunch of toys, to prevent them from getting bored or being mutilated too soon. I can't say we have really done that, but I have found having different toys in different areas has kept her interested for the most part... I think I am the bad one - it is so easy to fall in love with a cute new toy every time you go to the supermarket or the pet shop!

That being said, it didn't stop her from burying my croc slipper in the garden! We are tempted to buy her a little croc to play with, but somehow I don't think it will have the same smell!

my ACD Diesel only ever really had one toy as he would eat everything else! It was a black kong.

Amber only has a few (maybe 5 or 6)- she likes to snuggle with soft toys and isn't really into rubber or rope toys. Doesn't chew them, just snuggles :rofl:

Akira has a stack of toys. The first thing we bought her was a kong when we first got her, which OH suggested because his old dog had one and she loved it. Since then, she has somehow ended up with three stuffed toys (only one has survived), three different pull toys, two balls, a coke bottle and a nylabone. I get her something new each week. It saves my furniture and keeps her occupied when I'm at work, though she has decided that destroying the mat is more fun than toys in the last week. :(

one fun thing to do (and good if she's is extra need of boredom-stopping) is to put one of the favourites away for a week or more - and see the love when you bring it back out !!!

She looks so cute with her furry friends.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

A puppy should have as many toys as you wish to buy it! The more the merrier I say.. cant go wrong with lots of different ones :(. That is a gorgeous photo, your pup looks all worn out from playing with them no doubt :hug:.

Our puppy (who is leaving the puppy stage sort of at 9 months old!) has at an estimation about 30 - 40 toys. Of course he doesn't play with them all at once, they sit in a basket in the loungeroom and we're always pulling different ones out for him.. it's good to have lots of choose from so he doesn't have the same ones in his crate all the time when we're out.. doesn't seem to get so bored :hug:. I never did intend to buy so many.. but we just kept seeing cool ones online/in random petshops and people also gave us a fair few as little presents when we first got him. Alot of them are plush style ones but there's also a few kong toys and rubbery chewy sort of ones :hug:.

Marlin has two milk crates full of toys, one outside and one in, balls, soft toys, tugs, kongs,chewy things, noisy ones. I often find her rummaging in the crate looking for a favourite. She is not destructive, she still has the soft bunny that she arrived with, but as soon as the stuffing starts to come out of one she will keep at it until every last bit is spread around the house :wave:

I often give her carboard boxes with treats hidden in them, to satisfy the need to rip things apart. The only time any toys get destroyed is when she has a play date with her kelpie friend and they have tug of war games :grouphug: Recently bought a pet pack on daily deals, what a bargain, $25 and about 8-10 various toys and other bits, OH ;)

Bought her a weasel ball for her birthday, what a hit that is, only allow her to have it supervised and for a short time, but she loves it to death :mad

We have had some toys she will not play with or doesnt like so I just pass them on to the local shelter, she absolutely hated the squeeky chicken :laugh: .

oh goodness, mine has about 20+ and we are always buying more! He loves his cuddle toys especially a bright blue squishy cow :mad and at the moment his newest and favourite is a bright blue plastic bone with weird nubby bristiles on the end. He chews it until he falls asleep with it.

I love city farmers for toys - they have soooo many! Better Pets and Gardens have good ones too!

My Cav boy Harvey has many toys :wave: We keep them in a box in the lounge room and usually at night he will go into the box and pull them out one by one. Before to long he will have every single toy out and he will play with one and then another one will catch the corner of his eye, so he rushes over and pounces on it and throws that one around for a while ;) He is so funny to watch and loves you throwing them around for him. He does have a few favourites though, his favourite would be a little daffy duck that now has no legs :laugh: His fave thing in the whole world is not a toy though, when I got him as a 9 week old puppy he would cry at night at the side of my bed until I put my hand down near him then he would settle. So I gave him a pair of my old sleeping pants, not washed of course and ever since then he sleeps with them every night, he is now 14 months old. :mad It is such a cute thing to watch him get in his bed at night and scratch up his sleep pants until comfy and then he finds the end of the drawstring from the waste and puts it in his mouth and off to dream land he goes :grouphug: It is just sooo damn cute!!!

My Cav boy Harvey has many toys :wave: We keep them in a box in the lounge room and usually at night he will go into the box and pull them out one by one. Before to long he will have every single toy out and he will play with one and then another one will catch the corner of his eye, so he rushes over and pounces on it and throws that one around for a while ;) He is so funny to watch and loves you throwing them around for him. He does have a few favourites though, his favourite would be a little daffy duck that now has no legs :laugh: His fave thing in the whole world is not a toy though, when I got him as a 9 week old puppy he would cry at night at the side of my bed until I put my hand down near him then he would settle. So I gave him a pair of my old sleeping pants, not washed of course and ever since then he sleeps with them every night, he is now 14 months old. :mad It is such a cute thing to watch him get in his bed at night and scratch up his sleep pants until comfy and then he finds the end of the drawstring from the waste and puts it in his mouth and off to dream land he goes :grouphug: It is just sooo damn cute!!!

Liamber - have you been over to the cav thread? Your Harvey sounds so cute! What colour is he? We need pics :D

Susan

Oh wow, mine have heaps of toys.

I think at last count I was looking at 20 something....

This ranges from soft toys, tugg ropes, nylabones, balls, frisbees, kongs, tuffie toys and an awesome loopies monkey that screams :mad

I'm a sucker for buying my dogs toys, as soon as one dies we go out and buy another one.

The love to choose them as well, it's pretty cute

Edited by Wolfsong

1 crate full (Charlie has a camping crate... it's now a toy box)

2 boxes full (one in the living room and one in the study)

small bin full for outdoor toys

My 2 are really spoilt by my family and friends. They even get their own visitors... my friends will come over just for Charlie's or Emmy's cuddles. They see something cute online and get it for my two. My parents comes to visit them every Monday, and usually bring some toys for the 2.

I guess it depends on the dog. Billie likes toys and she has quite a few. I will get another one when I see something different that I think she might like, when one dies or just for the hell of it sometimes. She also 'appropriates' common things for her toybox...strawberry punnets, buckets, pots, broomsticks, coke bottles etc. More toy chewing = less house chewing.

Today she clearly didn't like her selection of toys and ate a lightbulb instead. :laugh: God knows how she got the box off the shelf but I'm so glad I ducked home from work to get my laptop this morning. Could have been a lot worse if she'd had the whole day to munch on it.

My Cav boy Harvey has many toys :) We keep them in a box in the lounge room and usually at night he will go into the box and pull them out one by one. Before to long he will have every single toy out and he will play with one and then another one will catch the corner of his eye, so he rushes over and pounces on it and throws that one around for a while :) He is so funny to watch and loves you throwing them around for him. He does have a few favourites though, his favourite would be a little daffy duck that now has no legs :rofl: His fave thing in the whole world is not a toy though, when I got him as a 9 week old puppy he would cry at night at the side of my bed until I put my hand down near him then he would settle. So I gave him a pair of my old sleeping pants, not washed of course and ever since then he sleeps with them every night, he is now 14 months old. :( It is such a cute thing to watch him get in his bed at night and scratch up his sleep pants until comfy and then he finds the end of the drawstring from the waste and puts it in his mouth and off to dream land he goes :) It is just sooo damn cute!!!

Liamber - have you been over to the cav thread? Your Harvey sounds so cute! What colour is he? We need pics :)

Susan

Hi susan, no I haven't, I am fairly new to DOL and I am still working my way around it :D Where would I find that thread? He is sooo cute and when I got him I would carry him around like a baby, my DH would get so jealous and call me crazy, maye I am ;) He is a Blenheim, my fave!! You might be able to help me with one thing though, he has extremely bad tear staining :cry: I am about to put him in the ring next weekend as a neuter for the first time and would like for at least most of it to be gone. Do you have any suggestions for a quick fix :)

How long is a piece of string???

Just depends, dogs like different toys at different ages and usually the older they get the more capable they are of destroying the toy.

Currently we have 3 types of toy in the backyard and they rotate them.

The most favourite is an old T Shirt that we used to use to wipe our feet on - it is very popular, they can play tug a war, run around with several pups hanging onto it, shake it vigourously to kill it and play chasings with it.

There is a couple of tug toys made of rubber and there are a couple of tennis balls.

The most important aspect of these toys is that they are 'survivors' and also 'safe' to leave out. :(