Collars

I see a lot more dogs these days not wearing their collars. I had no idea that they posed a health risk until now.

Does your dog wear a collar? If not why?

Have you had any problems with dogs play fighting with their collars on?

Do the break away collars really work? Are they sensitive enough?

Do you know where I can find a XL safe collar that is cream or light brown? (preferably one that looks like leather??)

(I know I'm fussy! :thumbsup: )

THANKS in advance!!

my boy wears his collar all the time, his head can slip out easily if he pulls backwards, its too lose

what have you heard thats so bad about collars? at the park once i saw a bullmastif cross, pick up my boy by his collar and try to hump him, i was on my way over to make him let go but the dog let go, so i can see how in that case it can be bad...

what are these break away collars you mention?

It is so sad to read the stories of beloved dogs have been accidentally hung or strangled whilst wearing their collar :thumbsup:

Collars can get caught on handles, fences, bushes, etc. Although we try we cannot watch our fur kids 100% of the time.

Also whilst two dogs are playing the jaw can get caught underneath the collar and twist in the commotion causing jaw injuries and strangulation :rofl: especially if the collar is loose. This is a particular concern as the neck can be an attractive target during a play fight.

I am torn as I understand the need for pets to carry ID as well as having a handle for other safety reasons but I do not want to risk this happening to my furkids.

Break away collars have been designed to unlatch the collar when it is under pressure. However during walks they can be secured by the leash and the two D rings on the collar. I gather that when your boy was picked up by the other dog he could have been free instantly if he was wearing a break away collar. Is this true? Do they really work as well as they say?

Now the challenge for me is to find the most stylish and safe collar.

It is so sad to read the stories of beloved dogs have been accidentally hung or strangled whilst wearing their collar :rofl:

Collars can get caught on handles, fences, bushes, etc. Although we try we cannot watch our fur kids 100% of the time.

Also whilst two dogs are playing the jaw can get caught underneath the collar and twist in the commotion causing jaw injuries and strangulation :o especially if the collar is loose. This is a particular concern as the neck can be an attractive target during a play fight.

This has happened to a few DOL'ers :thumbsup: Since a dog I always loved over the net on here died from an accident wearing his collar, mine no longer wear theirs at home.

The only time mine wear collars is when we are out walking or at shows ect...

I don't use collars on my dogs for a few reasons.

Most important is safety, I have had dogs eat each others collars off (choking hazzard) eat the name tags off (very dangerous) and get caught on the kennel run fencing.

Also with my coated breeds collars worn for long periods of time ruin the ruff of hair around the neck and I don't need show dogs without any neck hair.

Way I see it is they are in secure locked kennels and are microchipped, I am happy enough with that.

As for breakaway collars I have never tried them before but I hear good things about them.

Edited by Wolfsong

My dogs do not wear collars when home unattended for the reasons already mentioned, choking and hanging hazard. I watched my older boy get his collar caught over a fence paling when a pup, thankfully the clip broke quickly, before I even got to him. That added with the horror stories here and from friends (my old boss lost a Belgian Shepherd to a collar incident) has me keeping my boys nekkid at home. I did buy a couple of break away collars, and they do work well, but as my place is secure and the dogs are all microchipped, I don't bother with them.

eta. Retrieving trials are run with dog nekkid, to avoid injury, especially in water where snagging and drowning is a real danger.

Edited by FHRP

Mine wear collars outside the yard. Any other time they're nekkid.

my boy wears his collar all the time, his head can slip out easily if he pulls backwards, its too lose

Personally I think a loose collar is a bigger hazard than a tighter one. Your dog can't pull backwards and escape if the collar is twisted or he's hanging by it. DOLers have lost dogs to collar incidents. I've learned from their loss.

Edited by poodlefan

Our boy used to wear his in the yard unsupervised as he just slept all day, but now we have two they are nekkid. My dogs mouth each other around the neck a lot, they also squeeze into small spaces when playing, so it's not worth the risk.

I don't bother with breakaways because they'd most likely come undone anyway if they somehow managed to escape. Or they'd pull them off each other and eat them :p

No way would I put a collar on him unless he is out in public and has to wear one...

My uncle came home one day to his beautiful boxer hanging by her collar from the back fence... That was enough to convince me that he only wears his when I am around and we are out together.

Mine only wear them when I take them out and about, and i am always there supervising.

When they are at home they do not wear them. They are in a secure backyard they can't escape from, so what's the point in wearing one?

Our big old dog always wears her collar. She seems to panic slightly and not settle when you take it off of her! She's worn one all her life and is very old now so I guess that's fair enough. I dont worry much about her choking herself because she's not a very active dog these days.. all she really does is sleep on the couch lol. Our little dog really only wears his when we're walking though.. he is crated when we're not home and I worry that because he tends to be a bit nuts he might jump and get it caught in the crate somehow.

Genevieve would wear one.... if she hadn't worked out how to remove it! She (somehow) takes it off and then runs around with it in her mouth, chewing on it! Almost as if to say 'haha... look at me Mum! Take that!!'.

As we try to walk her daily, it is more convenient if she has it on, so we can just clip her lead on. Also, if I need to pick her up for anything , its easier to grab her collar when I am chasing her around. This latest trick of removing her collar has only been since we bought her a new one. She never did it with the old on.

Aurora rarely has hers on, she is very much an 'at home' dog... She is microchipped so if (by some highly unlikely chance) she escapes we hope the kind natured people in the street would hand her in.

my dogs only wear collars when we're out and about together, never ever at home. Both because of the risks of it (a simple ID tag can slip between bars, palings or decking, and twist to not come back out...) but also because I'm vain!!! I prefer the look without a collar, and I love the look of long neck hair on my poodle; which would mat up if she wore a collar much!

I do have collars for walking with, but if we're just heading out in the car they invariably don't even get their collars on then even... If they run off or get away or something they are chipped.

Brennan only wears a collar for when we are leaving the house. I am home most of the time and she is supervised ands can not escape. For me it was about safety-- I have read too many stories of accidental hangings, dogs teeth being twisted in play. It is one of my rules if a dog comes for a doggy play date that they do not wear any collars.

Mindy wears one all day apart from when she is unsupervised in her crate (usually nights only). But usually she is under close supervision anyway.

My previous dog wore one 24/7

I'm undecided whether my next dog will wear one all the time.

No in a perfect world they wouldnt unless i was with them.

My boy Barker died 3 years ago from getting strangled by his collar - one of the other dogs got their jaw caught in it and it tightened until he died.

Each to their own, but my dogs are tattooed and mirco chipped and cannot get out of my yard without help, to me it is not worth the risk.

My gsd occassionally will wear an anti bark collar when we are not home if i dont lock him inside as we have had trouble with the neighbours.

I worry myself sick when he has it on and i am not there.

However, he is a lot larger than the other dog we have so i am not concerned about her getting her jaw stuck and strangling him - she does not wear a collar.

I have scoured the yard and tried to make it as snagless as i can as well.

Edited by Flaves