Amazing Who You Find

Nekhbet

Thanks for your replies :hug:

I can imagine it would be hard to know what to do, considering that having puppies can be dangerous and I imagine that the aborting process wouldn't be that great for the dog either.

Can I ask what the normal practice is for an 'oops' litter? Just out of curiosity. It seems that they happen from time to time. Are the pups given away rather than sold?

Cross bred pups have the same value as rescue pups.

In my opinion it is only ethical to sell pups like this desexed. It is also unethical to make any claim about their working ability because they are only pet quality, nothing more. They should be sold at a minimum age of 8 weeks.

pups are sold but they shouldn't be going at 6 weeks. And personally, if they didn't want to abort the litter in case it mucked up the bitch for future breeding I think they should have culled.

Excuse my ignorance, please, but what do you mean exactly by they should have culled? I'm not stirring, genuinely interested if it means what I think it does :hug:

pups are sold but they shouldn't be going at 6 weeks. And personally, if they didn't want to abort the litter in case it mucked up the bitch for future breeding I think they should have culled.

Excuse my ignorance, please, but what do you mean exactly by they should have culled? I'm not stirring, genuinely interested if it means what I think it does :hug:

Destroyed.

There are lots of mixed bred dogs in shelters and pounds already.

The way the ad is worded is designed to attract the uneducated dog buyer who would have no way of knowing how this mix is going to turn out, but thinks they need a 'guard dog'. The phrase "no time wasters" sounds like it belongs in an ad for a wrecked commodore in the Trading Post.

Really disappointing stuff from somebody that is a member of this purebreed dog community. I don't know if the topic will be allowed to stay, but it was right of you to question it Nek.

Can I ask what the normal practice is for an 'oops' litter? Just out of curiosity. It seems that they happen from time to time. Are the pups given away rather than sold?

Cross bred pups have the same value as rescue pups.

In my opinion it is only ethical to sell pups like this desexed. It is also unethical to make any claim about their working ability because they are only pet quality, nothing more. They should be sold at a minimum age of 8 weeks.

Totally agree, Greytmate.

I would have them put down at birth if I didn't abort the bitch.

ETA I would keep 2 to keep the bitch happy.

Edited by Rebanne

Oh lord... wonder how long this thread will survive, though it is a fair enough question!

I don't know if I've read what you guys have said wrong or something, but I wouldn't ever kill puppies at birth just cause they have the unfortunate luck of being cross bred. That to me is like killing an unwanted baby when its born, just cause there are lots of children already in the foster system. They deserve their own chance at a life. Its your responsibility if a accidental mating happens, killing some innocents just because you where a idiot who made a mistake seems like a cop out in my opinion. Aborting them is a different matter.

An ethical decision could have been made to cull the pups based on this sort of information.

My girl has been pretty protective from the time she came here, even as a pup. I'm told her litter mates were worse, having aggression towards most things at 3mths.

Who really knows how this line will click with the German Shepherd line. There is going to be a fair amount of genetic unpredictability in how these pups will turn out. And that seems a bit scary when aggression is a strong trait in at least one of the lines, and these are going to be big powerful dogs.

But some people do not think it is ethical to cull healthy puppies, no matter how badly bred they are. It is a breeder's decision to cull or not to cull, and only a breeder can make that decision at the time. I certainly wouldn't be wanting to have to find responsible homes for a litter like that.

I was wondering though, what if that ad on petlink had been worded differently? Would it have raised so much anger?

What if it had been written like this?

Dutch Shepherd x German Shepherd pups for sale. Ready for new homes in September.

Desexed, vaccinated, wormed, micro chipped and vet checked. Parents health certificates available for viewing.

If you think you can provide the right sort of high-energy home for one of these dogs please send us an email with your contact details and let us know a bit about yourself and what you are expecting from your new dog.

I know if it had been written like that I wouldn't have had such a problem with it.

An ethical decision could have been made to cull the pups based on this sort of information.
My girl has been pretty protective from the time she came here, even as a pup. I'm told her litter mates were worse, having aggression towards most things at 3mths.

Who really knows how this line will click with the German Shepherd line. There is going to be a fair amount of genetic unpredictability in how these pups will turn out. And that seems a bit scary when aggression is a strong trait in at least one of the lines, and these are going to be big powerful dogs.

But some people do not think it is ethical to cull healthy puppies, no matter how badly bred they are. It is a breeder's decision to cull or not to cull, and only a breeder can make that decision at the time. I certainly wouldn't be wanting to have to find responsible homes for a litter like that.

I was wondering though, what if that ad on petlink had been worded differently? Would it have raised so much anger?

What if it had been written like this?

Dutch Shepherd x German Shepherd pups for sale. Ready for new homes in September.

Desexed, vaccinated, wormed, micro chipped and vet checked. Parents health certificates available for viewing.

If you think you can provide the right sort of high-energy home for one of these dogs please send us an email with your contact details and let us know a bit about yourself and what you are expecting from your new dog.

I know if it had been written like that I wouldn't have had such a problem with it.

Interesting point. Do you think aggression is really a trait that can be bred? Or is in more the tenacity and energy that could be aimed at aggression by its owners?

Very very worrying thinking of what kind of dogs these are going to turn into in the the wrong hands! Giving a working line Shepherd to some douche with a credit card? Scary.

At 6 weeks old too.

Edited by lovemesideways

O.K. I see no evidence that this was a deliberate litter, I see no reason why she shouldn't advertise her pups at 6 weeks as long as they don't go home until 8.

I see no reason why she should sell them off for less than she is able to get and I see no reason why someone has to decide to abort or cull if thats not something they are comfortable with.

I see no reason to believe that she wont screen her buyers and ensure they know what they are getting and that they are well suited to them.I see no reason to believe she wont be there in the future for them if things go wrong.

I get why you feel the way you do but using the dogz forum to make accusations and ruin someone's reputation especially before you ask her personally about the situation is something that's a clear and definite no go.

Julie