Why Does She Rub Her Face In Foul Odours?

bullyfan

My delightful Griffon girl has a disgusting habit of finding anything stinky and rubbing her chin and face in it. I enjoy having her inside but not when she smells of ferret poo, dead rabbit or rabbit poo, chook poo or what ever else the filthy thing can find.

I don't wash her all the time, but am having to make a regular occurrence of it with the odours!!!

Does anyone know why she does this? I appreciate it's like perfume but she's the only one here that does it! Is there something I can do to prevent this happening???

When we go for a walk she ALWAYS manages to find a smell and in a split second is down on her knees(??) rubbing her chin and side of her head in it..... It does make for a disgusting car ride home and repulsive lap dog...

Any ideas would be apppreciated....

Some dogs do it , we try to prevent them getting to it , there are some spray doggie deoderisors that you can find in your pet shop but I am not sure how effective they would be , I know how you feel our dogs eat raw and are big enough to be fed whole fish , Keisha loves to rub her face and neck all over her fishy dinner before dining makes for a smelly cuddles after dinner , but she looks estatic while she does it almost like a cat with cat nip

i have the same problem with my mini schnazuer, dear me he adores it- especially after he's had a bath or is remotely clean!

possum poo isn't great, fox is foul but the worst is definitely human feaces- there are public toilets that are locked after 12pm at our local dog park, and i guess sometimes teen boys being naughty can't hold themselves until they find somewhere (like their home!) that have facilities! doesn't always happen but OMG you can smell the dog a mile off when he has rolled in it.

we just try and keep and eye out and recall when he is about to drop itno something-he does tend to smell it in a suspicous (to us, estatic to him) manner so we can often catch it. absolute bummer though when he manages to do it!

your lovely doggie is just trying to smell gorgeous for you! :thumbsup::rasberry:

yeah i know we have a bunch that love smelly stuff and often one bath is not nearly enough to remove the nice odour....

no help but sympathy is heading your way.... they do not seem to grow out of it either.

I'd be interested in hearing the answer actually about why dogs do such things. Thankfully, my dogs don't do it.

i strongly suspect that it is because they love the smell... eau de liquified dead mouse or aged dead rooster being the scent of preference but sloppy cow poop will do in an emergency

have you noticed how they wrinkle up their faces and turn away in disgust from our perfum??? probably wondering why on earth we make ourselves smell so disgusting

H

I always understood that it was an instinct to mask the smell off dog when they are hunting ....ie if the animal being hunted smells the poo of it's own species it is not alarmed however if they smell dog they are off and away.

Ohhh fish!! Schmoo's boss, that wouldn't be nice on a warm day....

OMG, TLC I read your thread and must admit, I am now thinking my girls got nothing on yours!!

I just wish I knew why she did it!!!

It is only her face and chin she rubs, you know those bits that a cat rubs on you..!

But thankfully I'm not alone. :rolleyes:

Hee heee. It's always the pretty ones who do it in my experience. My sweet, ladylike, pretty girl dally rolls in everything - the smellier the better. Yet none of my male dogs did or do it and neither did my other girl who was a lot tougher and less "prissy" generally than Pepper-the-smelly!

I used to find Guiness and Pepper both with a dead animal, Guiness scoffing down as much of the foul stuff as he could while Pepper joyfully rolled around in whatever he hadn't managed to shovel into his gob yet. THey BOTH smelled appalling!

I think it's supposed to be about survival - but it doesn't look like it. She seems to think she looks and smells like a million bucks after she's done it! Attracting the opposite sex perhaps??? LOL I dunno but she always gets surprised that I don't want to cuddle her - and darts around and leaps at me like I must be just playing a game with her "coz surely I'm completely irresistable now!"

I know they both do it but my girl chi x is a lovely gold colour who thinks she looks better with dark green duck poo smeared all over the neck and shoulders.

Then they look very badly done by when they go in the sink for a quick neck wash. I can just see them saying " But it's not Sunday!"

Thank God they are little.

Sally not only likes to roll in any poo she can find (she particulary likes dog poo, but will settle for human, cat, or horse) she also EATS it like it is the most succelent delicacy ever :doh: :p

the other day we came back from a walk and i could smell poo. i tracked down the dogs and found Sally vomitting up dog poo all over the floor ;) :rofl:

she must of been quick eating it on the walk as i watch her like a hawk!

I nearly lost the contents of my stomach cleaning it up, and had to wait a long time before i could eat dinner :rofl:

Edited by bertandsally

the other day we came back from a walk and i could smell poo. i tracked down the dogs and found Sally vomitting up dog poo all over the floor ;) :p

she must of been quick eating it on the walk as i watch her like a hawk!

I nearly lost the contents of my stomach cleaning it up, and had to wait a long time before i could eat dinner :rofl:

Consider yourself lucky it was the floor!! I've just been treated to a bellyful of horse shit and slime through my BED!! :rofl: