Practice Baby?

PoppyDog

Agreed with Raineth and Stormie above. I must admit I am guilty of calling myself and my OH 'mummy and daddy' to our two cats, but it's only a joke, and I wouldn't do it in front of anyone else! I do believe that pets can be a great basic lesson for raising kids. Animal ownership does require a lot of time and commitment, and as mentioned, you fulfill needs just as you do with a child. I don't believe it could possibly "prepare" you as such for having kids, but I do think that it helps teach some of the basic principles of being responsible for another life. I think that having to look after my pets has helped make me more patient and giving; two qualities that are extremely important when it comes to having kids.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with Raineth and Stormie above. I must admit I am guilty of calling myself and my OH 'mummy and daddy' to our two cats, but it's only a joke, and I wouldn't do it in front of anyone else! I do believe that pets can be a great basic lesson for raising kids. Animal ownership does require a lot of time and commitment, and as mentioned, you fulfill needs just as you do with a child. I don't believe it could possibly "prepare" you as such for having kids, but I do think that it helps teach some of the basic principles of being responsible for another life. I think that having to look after my pets has helped make me more patient and giving; two qualities that are extremely important when it comes to having kids.

That isn't always a good thing for a dog, to be kept to fill a need that might cease to exist when a real baby is placed in the role.

Sorry Greytmate, I just realised I wasn't very clear. I think you misunderstood what I meant - I meant that as owners you fulfill your animals needs - i.e. you are responsible for feeding them etc. I didn't mean that pets fulfill the owners "need" to nurture something

A practice baby is one of those computer-chip models given to teenage girls at school - that drive them mental with demands :laugh: A wonderful invention, btw !!! :)

A pup is a furry package crammed with all sorts of instincts and behaviours which do put newbies on a steep learning curve, and help teach the patience, sleep-deprivation coping options, and the cleaning up of vomit etc :D

These things can be useful when/if a human baby comes along ... I guess :laugh:

but ... I am always concerned when folks tend to humanise their 'furbabies' *insert skin-crawling emoticon*....

I hate it when people suggest that I only wanted Pepper to meet my meternal needs before we have children. :) (Even OH has been guilty of this).

I've always lived with dogs, have always wanted to have a dog in my life, and it just so happens that the most appropriate time to bring a dog into the family was once I'd moved in with OH (and then got engaged and married). I was never going to bring a puppy home when I was living with my parents and their pets, or sharing rentals, moving jobs and cities, and doing all that kind of stuff that people do when they're finding their place in the world.

Babies... eventually. Pepper's not practice, she's Pepper... an entirely different species! Sure, there might be some common elements, but you'd learn more by baby-sitting for friends and relatives imho!

Kids and dogs are worlds apart. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in la-la-land.

Well, whenever I talk to my friends that have small children they tell me stories and I can only laugh and say "My dog does that!" and "Okay, I know dogs are not children, but seriously, my dog has done almost the same thing." and "Oh yes, that happened to me once, with the dogs, naturally." It's embarrassing and I try not to say it too much, but the facts speak for themselves. Kids and dogs do a lot of similar things. They ain't remotely the same, but they are not worlds apart. They are both mammals for starters, that puts them firmly in the same world. Now consider they are both social, both dependent on human adults, and not that far apart in their mental capabilities. My OH watches kids with almost exactly the same affectionate, doting smile he directs at dogs. They hit a lot of the same buttons in us as well.

I've often said what I love about dogs is it's like having a perpetual three year old that is entirely capable of looking after themselves. All the fun and a fraction of the work and supervision. :) It's semi-facetious. I like dogs because they are dogs, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I didn't especially love their qualities that remind me of kids.

I don't think we're going to have kids, but I don't have a problem with the practice run with a dog provided the dog is treated appropriately and fairly over the course of its life.

I was not remotely interested in having kids until recently - but had always wanted lots of dogs! I'd always daydreamed about having lots of dogs and training them etc and NEVER did this about kids - if you had told me 10 years ago I would have a kid I would have laughed at you :)

Dogs are SO much easier! Once you train them they listen to you for a start :laugh: and don't need 24/7 supervision. And when you train and work with them it is like teamwork.

Kids and dogs are worlds apart. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in la-la-land.

Well, whenever I talk to my friends that have small children they tell me stories and I can only laugh and say "My dog does that!" and "Okay, I know dogs are not children, but seriously, my dog has done almost the same thing." and "Oh yes, that happened to me once, with the dogs, naturally." It's embarrassing and I try not to say it too much, but the facts speak for themselves. Kids and dogs do a lot of similar things. They ain't remotely the same, but they are not worlds apart. They are both mammals for starters, that puts them firmly in the same world. Now consider they are both social, both dependent on human adults, and not that far apart in their mental capabilities. My OH watches kids with almost exactly the same affectionate, doting smile he directs at dogs. They hit a lot of the same buttons in us as well.

I've often said what I love about dogs is it's like having a perpetual three year old that is entirely capable of looking after themselves. All the fun and a fraction of the work and supervision. :) It's semi-facetious. I like dogs because they are dogs, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I didn't especially love their qualities that remind me of kids.

I don't think we're going to have kids, but I don't have a problem with the practice run with a dog provided the dog is treated appropriately and fairly over the course of its life.

I'm guilty of that too! then when people tell me that babies are soooo much harder than dogs, I reply in a mock tone "what, don't your babies put themselves to bed when they're tired...? No...? Oh, I thought they were the same..."

I agree with Corvus, they are not the same but they aren't entirely different.

One of my girlfriends was talking about how her 2yo took all her toys out of the toy box one by one and put them on the rug... Kuma has done the exact same thing!

I'm guilty with the whole mummy and daddy thing :)

And guilty of spoiling my 2... Charlie does have a stroller so I can push him around when walking gets to much for him!

But, my dogs are treated like dogs. The exercise, the training and all that jazz...

Beside, I enjoy being with Charlie and Emmy because they are dogs. They are funny little creatures who can make me laugh every single day. How the play with each other, how they play with me... it's fun :D

Just like I enjoy hanging out with my friends kids because they are kids. Happier even more when I return them to their parents because OMG.. they can be exhausting!! :D :laugh:

When I have my own kids, they won't replace Charlie or Emmy. It would just mean the family is getting bigger and probably a whole lot noiser! :laugh:

Kids and husband seem to raise my stress levels. I find myself sitting outside with the dogs when I need to relax and calm down! :D

:) Me too!

My OH and I made the decision to wait until we had kids before we got a dog.

Even though that dog was a huge amount of trouble, she was nothing compared to the kids! :laugh:

I get concerned when I hear of people anthropomorphising their dogs then talking about having kids.

I can only imagine the confusion of a dog that has been treated as a baby, who then has its access to it's "mummy" restricted once a baby is born. :laugh:

Of course everyone says they wont do this but the reality is that it does happen.

Far better to begin as you will need to continue if you have kids. As I am sure all of you already do. :D

And guilty of spoiling my 2... Charlie does have a stroller so I can push him around when walking gets to much for him!

But, my dogs are treated like dogs. The exercise, the training and all that jazz...

Beside, I enjoy being with Charlie and Emmy because they are dogs. They are funny little creatures who can make me laugh every single day. How the play with each other, how they play with me... it's fun ;)

Just like I enjoy hanging out with my friends kids because they are kids. Happier even more when I return them to their parents because OMG.. they can be exhausting!! :D :laugh:

When I have my own kids, they won't replace Charlie or Emmy. It would just mean the family is getting bigger and probably a whole lot noiser! :laugh:

I agree. I forgot - hubby bought me a 'Happy Birthday Mum' card from the dogs this year :D

God no.. babies and puppies are not much alike as far as I'm concerned! I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and sadly all of the puppies I've raised haven't made me feel very prepared.. wish they did! Lol

I have noticed since having a hooman baby that I've stopped spoon-feeding the dogs and pushing them in the stroller.

:)

I'm guilty of that too! then when people tell me that babies are soooo much harder than dogs, I reply in a mock tone "what, don't your babies put themselves to bed when they're tired...? No...? Oh, I thought they were the same..."

:laugh:

I didn't expect to be "Mum" when I got a puppy. Having only had cats, rabbits and guinea pigs before, I thought my feelings towards a dog would be similar.

I've loved all my pets very much, and they've all needed care and feeding and protection and discipline (the cats and rabbits anyway, guinea pigs don't do anything except eat!). But the dog is completely different in what he needs from me and what I get from him. He is much more communicative with me, and needs much more guidance and interaction from me than the other animals. I started calling myself his mum without really realising, I guess because I feel like I am in a parent/head of the family role with him.

Also, the principles behind modern dog behaviour/training (positive reinforcement, effective punishment, positive v negative attention etc) are very much the same as in human psychology and how we learn, particularly as children. So having an understanding of those principles and applying them to dogs could be good practice for kids??

Beside, I enjoy being with Charlie and Emmy because they are dogs. They are funny little creatures who can make me laugh every single day. How the play with each other, how they play with me... it's fun :)

Just like I enjoy hanging out with my friends kids because they are kids. Happier even more when I return them to their parents because OMG.. they can be exhausting!! :(:laugh:

I agree. I forgot - hubby bought me a 'Happy Birthday Mum' card from the dogs this year :D

:D ;) For my birthday and Christmas my mum always buys me an extra present with a card which is addressed 'Dear Mummy' and she signs it from my dogs. Spoilt much!

A practice baby is one of those computer-chip models given to teenage girls at school - that drive them mental with demands :p A wonderful invention, btw !!! :laugh:

A pup is a furry package crammed with all sorts of instincts and behaviours which do put newbies on a steep learning curve, and help teach the patience, sleep-deprivation coping options, and the cleaning up of vomit etc ;)

These things can be useful when/if a human baby comes along ... I guess :o

but ... I am always concerned when folks tend to humanise their 'furbabies' *insert skin-crawling emoticon*....

I took one of those home last year! We had them at the school I taught at and I'd always wanted to see what they were like! I secretly loved it but I was so tired th next day! My Year 2/3 class loved that I had it too and all wanted to help "babysit"! Haha!

Poppy is waaaay better than one of those! I feel all this love for her that you just don't feel with a cold hard lump of plastic! Lol!

We have a cav pup. We joke that if we get the dog variety right, we might try for the human kind... but I don't really mean it. I've always wanted both. Thing is, I had a dog as a teen and wanted one now and I knew if we didn't get pup before kids came along, it wasn't going to happen.

So hubby bought me a pooch... WHich is funny because he has never been a dog person, but anyone now would think he was the one pining for one all these years! He asks me every day while away at work "How's our little G?" and skypes me to see the dog!!! We bought all the books on how to raise the perfect dog, much like when you are expecting a baby. We researched the puppy classes we sent her to, as if it was private dog education! :o Ane we continue to do obedience with her now (finishing school for dogs!) because we feel that it is good for her development.

When we were getting her and then bought her home, I'm not sure who was more excited - mean or the grand parents! My parents actually flew to Melbourne and came with us to pick her from the litter! (You should have seen my Dad - I thought the breeder was going to make two sales that day!!). My mother in law demands photo updates weekly and skypes every few days to talk to the dog!!!

Both my Mum and his Mum (who live in Perth, we are in Melbourne) sent over parcels for the dog when she came home! This dog has everything: toys, blankets, collars, fancy dog biscuits, fancy leads, a carry bag, special dog hot water bottle, jumpers, drink bottle devices for when we walk... all colour coordinated of course! And I didn't buy any of it!!!! The funnier thing still, is that my brother in law and his wife (who don't live in Perth either) had their first born about the same time that we bough G home, and we got more attention than the first grand baby did!!! And every time I speak to one of them, first question with out fail is 'How is Genevieve?' (or usually one of the assortment of 'pet' names they have for her!). Don't worry about your daughter or anything!!! :laugh:

We are trying to start a family. And because that is very much in our minds, we make an effort to make sure we treat her like a dog. I don't let her in our room or the spare bedrooms, they are for the two legged types only. She is not allowed stuffed toys as I don't want baby and dog being confused about these things. She is very much at the bottom of the food chain in the house and when guests come, she is still at the bottom. That being said, she still gets to snuggle on my lap but only if she is invited. I don't want to set up habits now, that won't work with a baby or a toddler around. She is definitely very much loved though and having her has made my hubby very clucky for a baby (added bonus for me!).

I hope for the sake of my children, I have more patience with them than the dog. My saving grace will be that I won't have to get up and go to work the next day (for a long while), so waking up in the night won't be quite so bad!!

There are some lovely stories here, but IME there is NOTHING that can prepare you for the emotional, hormonal rollercoaster that is having a baby. I admit, we call ourselves 'mummy and daddy' when talking to our dogs and there may be some aspects of having a dog/puppy that might be similar to having a child or toddler but they are nothing compared to having a human baby. I've never met anyone that suffered from serious post puppy depression!