Rare Breeds Spotting.........

Debyork2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikivds, what are the major differences between an ETT and a min pin? :grimace:

min pins are much stockier and have stumpier legs, they also have small pointed faces whereas etts have a wedge shaped head. i think you have to be involved with them to see the major differences, kinda like aussies and bcs now that aussies have tails :) if you dont know them you would not always be able to tell them apart.

you can see it if you look at the breed standard pics

http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=32

http://www.ankc.org.au/Breed_Details.aspx?bid=38

thats physical, otherwise, the etts have a terrier temperament, a little ferocious and not at all nervous, very outgoing, and like to hunt things, bred to kill rats. Whereas min pins are pinschers rather that terriers and from my experience they are more nervous and sensitive. I treat my ett like my staffy and he is very similar in his attitude to life.

this is from my experience at least. Next time you're at a dog show go and have a look, you'll be amazed how huge the difference is!

Edited by nikivds

I met a Polish Lowland Sheepdog last weekend and gave her a pat and was told she was one of only five in Australia. She's a sweetie :grimace:

She's picked up a few classes in group recently! Isn't she cute! :)

Guest bigdogg

There are a fair few catahoulas in the country.. Predominantly in working / hunting homes where they should be. Used mainly for finding / bailing pigs in the bush.

Also, a swedish vallhund at the same place.

Really? I was there with my Swedish Vallhund briefly. Was it wearing a red vest-like harness?

ETA: Like this little vagabond? :grimace:

Erikatthebeach.jpg

I get to see Leonbergers at training sometimes. :scared: There is a Berner and a Chow that we occasionally see at the park. Otherwise, just a hoard of Labs, BCs and Staffies here.

I can't really remember if it was or not, I think it might have been, but only saw it in passing as I was trying to get my monster to ignore other dogs at that point. Very cute, the only reason i know what they are is because Clover's breeder also bred them, as well as aussies.

I didn't see any aussies though, which was surprising. There was one blue merle dog that could have been an aussie except we didn't ask.

Do aussies count as being rare ?

Mindy had a really good play with a portugese water dog the other day as well. It looked exactly like a lot of labradoodle type dogs and I embarrased myself by asking whether it was a poodle cross :)

I had a gorgeous Irish water spaniel in the 80s :cheer: Shamus, he was a doll, very naughty :( very sweet, wonderful breed.

We had wolfhounds int he 70s and 80s and no one ever knew what they were, also giant schnauzers and lakeland terriers. I dont expect people to know what they are, and sometimes when some breeds are not in show groomiing it can be hard to tell what is under all that fluff! Although the rats tail gives the spaniel away every time ;)

adore PWDs, very very VERY clever breed. :)

I wouldn't class Aussies as rare but they aren't a common breed either. Increasing in popularity though and whenever I see one I always make sure to speak to the owner!

Irish are rare and no one, unless they are older and Irish themselves or have had one, know what Ruby is. Usuaully she's an Airedale or just "funny looking". We once had someone call her a whisky terrier? :cheer:

I see a rare dog or two every day :cheer: as I live with two Basset Fauve De Bretagne.

I've got a friend with a Valhund and she was gobsmacked that I knew what it was the first time I went to her house :( .

I see a local couple walking a stunning Rottweiler and Bernese Mountain Dog quite often and it is unusual to see a BMD around here.

There are a fair few catahoulas in the country.. Predominantly in working / hunting homes where they should be. Used mainly for finding / bailing pigs in the bush.

You best not mentin non ANKC registered breeds here or hunting as you might upset the internet police here. :dancingelephant:

I saw an irish water spaniel at my local park a couple of years ago. The owner was so shocked that I knew what it was. I have seen a couple in the past, at the Million Paws Walk, and there are some at shows now, but back when i saw this one I had never met one in the flesh before.

They aren't hugely rare, but I never see many English Setters around... so i get really excited when i see one (except my own of course). I could barely contain myself when I saw one at the vets a few weeks ago.

My sister saw a Spinone once - she rang me convinced that it'd be her next breed because it reminded her so much of an OES in the face but without the hair. I was just surprised she saw one!!

I remember years ago seeing a briard at obedience training. that was pretty cool.

I wish I had seen your lappie corvus!!!

Must have been another vallhund I saw (unusual for there to be 2 there that day!)...

I didn't get there till 1.15 though

That was the time we were there. Would have been a bummer if there was another Vall there at the same time and we somehow didn't see each other! Erik has some Vallhund friends in Wollongong, and he thinks they are the best. I usually fall over backwards if someone knows what breed he is. They are usually from the UK if they know. Interestingly, we've had more people know his breed than Kivi's, though.

ETA, I saw Catahoulas in Mexico. They are awesome dogs. I was surprised to discover ACDs were quite popular over there on the ranches, too.

Edited by corvus

Our neighbourhood has... a pack of basenjis, a puli, 2 curly coated retrievers, 2 norwegian elkhounds...

At the dog park I've met a portugese water dog, lagottos, manchester terrier, lakeland terrier and an irish red and white setter.

We had a lowchen in our puppy preschool class.

At obedience club we have all kinds! A landeer newfie, ibizan hounds, tibetan terriers :dancingelephant: