People In Vets - Rant

JulesP

Why do people let their vets go up to other pets in a vet's waiting room? why? My dog could have parvo for all they know. So stupid. I've just had to be quite umm firm again with some idiots. And this included the staff who had a little dog loose in the waiting room. As I walked in I was told not to worry about it, I had to point out that my dog might be sick so get the other dog away!

And do not even get me started on the total lack of training or manners displayed!

:cheer: I need a drink!

I know the vet I went to asked over the phone what might be wrong and when I said I think kennel cough she said to go out the back and wait there and we were let in the back door away from the other dogs.

Doesnt seem so hard to do that.

I walked out of the consulting room into the waiting room last week.

A small very scruffy and dirty SWF went straight into Lewis's face. Now he had nothing catching but I didn't know about the dog or if it was DA.

I stopped the dogs and had to pull mine back as the dog walked up to them. The owner was standing there with a 6 mo baby in her arm and said"oh sorry that was my fault". Now wouldn't you think that you would be MORE likely to put your dog on a lead if you were carrying a baby so you had more control?

I had no idea what was wrong with her dog - hopefully it was in for grooming!

I have also, in the past, had someone allow their dog to walk straight up to mine while I was getting him and kids out of the car, I pulled him back but not before they had managed to touch noses.

The then informed me their dog was in as she has been losing hair and had been diagnosed with MANGE!

As you can imagine I was not impressed and came home and gave everyone Advocate.

Lead and control and a little common sense people!

The worst are people that brings cats to the vet unrestrained. They are literally just holding them in their arms and some even put the cat down to have a wander around.

We always ask for cats to be in a carrier and for dogs to be on lead. If the client does not have one of these items, then we lend them one.

We are located on a reasonably busy street and it shicks me when people walk out of the clinic with no lead for their dog or their cat in their arms. What if they take fright??? Maybe they think because they are close to a vet, help will be nearby?

A vet I volunteered at several years ago used to have I think 2 cats just roaming the clinic. Anywhere from out back to out in the waiting room. I just don't get it, as not all dogs like cats or have been brought up in the same home as one!

A vet I volunteered at several years ago used to have I think 2 cats just roaming the clinic. Anywhere from out back to out in the waiting room. I just don't get it, as not all dogs like cats or have been brought up in the same home as one!

My dog lives with a cat who he is fine with (he'll still chase it given the chance).

BUT, if the cat is a strange cat, game over. He'd go nuts were he to see a loose cat at the vet.

We recently had our kitten at the vets in a carrier. Bogan family walk in (all 6 of them - all adults) with 2 small dogs, one being a small terrier. They allowed the terrier to wander up to the crate which was between my legs so he could say hello. No way mate! What if my kitten was terrified of dogs? Already in a new, strange place and he has a dog's nose shoved in his face with no way of escape.

Another situation, we had Ruby in and she'd been under sedation to get a grass seed from near her eardrum and was still a bit groggy. Normally she loves pups but we opened the door to go into the clinic and a Stafford pup rushed over into her face and she growled. I can't say I blame her, she was so out of it and obviously feeling like crap to have a pup rush at her face and grab her beard wasn't a nice experience.

Poppy is DA and if the above had happened to her she could have emotionally damaged that pup and made HIM DA.

We are located on a reasonably busy street and it shicks me when people walk out of the clinic with no lead for their dog or their cat in their arms. What if they take fright??? Maybe they think because they are close to a vet, help will be nearby?

I've seen people do this, too....with a massively busy road outside.

Couldn't believe it!

Oops...I often approach peoples animals in the waiting room...and as I check the appointment schedule, you can usually tell if it might have something contagious or not.

I would like the animals that come here to have as postive experience as possible...and the clients to know that we care about their pets enjoying their visit too.

I don't force myself on anyone, I ask if it is okay...and sometimes all I do is approach and then crouch down in as non-threatening way as possible, so I can chat to the client and their

dog not feel threatened by some strange 'half person' behind a counter.

Sadly we do have an amazing number of clients that don't put their cats in cages...I cannot figure that one out...and get snippy if you suggest that they might lend a cage for the duration

of the visit.

I don't seem to have this problem at the vets I go to. Both clinics are on busy roads too.

Memorable quote from Vet this morning (I think yet another bloody clothes peg has stuffed her insides..), when I said she was still enthusastically chasing (imaginary) cats out of the back yard ie a couple of laps at high speed bouncing and jumping. he said something to the effect "If a dog didn't do that, it would be dead".

Another guy came in with a dog - and kept it high up in his arms the whole time. My dog didn't even seem interested. By then she was very keen to leave. And another lady came in without a dog to buy two spray bottles of dog pong eliminator. I was rude enough to mention Shannon Lush recipe (1 litre spray bottle, 1 cup vinegar, 1 teaspoon lavender oil (not essence), fill with water - do not spray on marble.), cleaned up my doggy explosion with no after pong.

You ought to be able to get refills for the spray bottles of pong eliminator.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Oops...I often approach peoples animals in the waiting room...and as I check the appointment schedule, you can usually tell if it might have something contagious or not.

I would like the animals that come here to have as postive experience as possible...and the clients to know that we care about their pets enjoying their visit too.

I don't force myself on anyone, I ask if it is okay...and sometimes all I do is approach and then crouch down in as non-threatening way as possible, so I can chat to the client and their

dog not feel threatened by some strange 'half person' behind a counter.

Sadly we do have an amazing number of clients that don't put their cats in cages...I cannot figure that one out...and get snippy if you suggest that they might lend a cage for the duration

of the visit.

I think the OP meant other pets, not vets.... but I could be wrong!

That would make more sense! LOL.

Working on the otherside of the desk...it bugs the ever lovin's out of me that people let their dogs go all feral with no respect for my eardrums or the personal space of other animals. Fortunately that is a rare event, we are a small clinic and we try not to double book appointments, and our regular appointment interval is quite generous. So it rarely happens.

Still can't understand the cat thing...why would you even drive around with an unrestrained cat in the car?

Pets not people Dory!

I am grumpy that I end up feeling like a bitch as I have to tell people to get away from my potentially contagious pets. And I don't want mine catching things from their pets either.

it annoys me too especially "oh but he is friendly" he may be BUT i don't know what he has

an akita was trying to say hello to my dog one day at the vets, now it's not the problem with the akita that I have but the fact that the owner was busily telling me how the dog woke up that morning throwing up everywhere. Get that dog away from my dog immediately. And a day or so later my dog started unexpectedly throwing up so I rang the vet but was shortshrifted that the akita wasn't contagious.

I would never risk my cats out of cages at the vets, I can't believe people do that. And I take one cat in one cage and one cat out at a time in the surgery with the doors shut. And Onslow goes by himself so i can just concentrate on him and make him sit next to me. I would take Tilly and Flash by themselves but Tilly can be a bit scared in situations and relies on Flash for confidence but then I know Flash is super obedient so it's not normally a problem.

I agree woth the OP.

I've had one incident where a lady came into the waiting room with a child in a pram and DA dog that immediately took after Kaisie. :thumbsup:

We were cornered.

Fortunately, the vet nurse got to a door and opened it and I pulled Kaisie through it qick smart! Idiot woman. :)

That is why I keep using the check chain. We certainly needed it that day. Not because Kaisie wanted to fight back (she was just wanting to get away) but to get her to follow me quickly out of harms way and not slip the collar.

And we saw a person with cat in arms on our last visit. My DH, who is the cat person here, remarked on how stupid that is. We are well aware of what a cat can do if it takes fright - and when out of their normal surroundings, they can very easily do that. :) I've seen a cat claw holes in venetian blinds. Their claws are like can openers. I can see a pretty damaged owner happening some time soon. :thumbsup:

Edited by noisymina

I have had cat holes in me!!!!

Two lots of antibiotics, infected tendons and a hand that didn't work for a while, and that was when I went to grab him as he went to get through the door as we had visitors coming in. He got a fright and sunk his claws in! I didn't let go, but Geez - the pain!! - Yep anyone that doesn't contain a cat at the vets or going to or from is a fool.

Having said that, the only time I haven't was when my old cat went down hill very quickly and by the time I loaded us into the car to drive to the vets he was basically comatose. I carried him in wrapped in a towel. He however was incapable of anything at that stage.

I have had cat holes in me!!!!

I had a cat put a canine right through my fingernail last week. Eek! :thumbsup:

I don't think it's smart to take your cat into the vet un-contained, or your dog. Mind you, a few weeks ago we had someone bring a cockatoo in to the clinic just sitting on their shoulder, no leash or anything. Bird was calm as anything, just sat there peering down its nose at everyone else in the waiting room. Wouldn't like to see people doing that as a general rule, but in this case it was rather impressive to see.