Did You Buy Your Puppy From A Less Than Reputable "breeder"?

PoppyDog

As a kid we always had free to good home dogs. Parents never understood the "fuss" over a purebred, and our dogs lived to good ages (lab x german shpherd lived to 16 and cattle x lived to 19). Now after doing my research I realise just how naive they were, so before we purchased Charlie my husband and I did our homework to ensure that we got the right dog for us.

Edited by boogarbooz

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This type of thread pops up now and again but honestly the bottom line is Do You Love Your Dog ? I know YOU do :D

After the fact that is all that matters :D if you don't then the problem is with you and not the breeder.

You are now the member of a great forum with masses of info which you can use next time and meantime assist friends with making good sound choices by directing them here !

My first dog, bought in 1994 was a cross breed from a BYB. Back then I had no idea why that was so bad. My little Lucy was riddled with health problems and her skeleton was badly malformed. I adored her, but she was a mess, and I learnt my lesson.

For me a good breeder is one who will

1) Ask you questions about your life to find a puppy who suits you

2) Sends you updates on the pups, including photos during those incredibly SLOW weeks before you can take your pup home.

3) Tells you all about the parents

4) Cries when the pup leaves home :love:

5) Is interested in updates that are sent and loves seeing photographs

6) Gives you advice on any problems you may have, and crucially

7) Will take your dog back AT ANY TIME if for any reason you can't keep it.

My first dog, bought in 1994 was a cross breed from a BYB. Back then I had no idea why that was so bad. My little Lucy was riddled with health problems and her skeleton was badly malformed. I adored her, but she was a mess, and I learnt my lesson.

For me a good breeder is one who will

1) Ask you questions about your life to find a puppy who suits you

2) Sends you updates on the pups, including photos during those incredibly SLOW weeks before you can take your pup home.

3) Tells you all about the parents

4) Cries when the pup leaves home :)

5) Is interested in updates that are sent and loves seeing photographs

6) Gives you advice on any problems you may have, and crucially

7) Will take your dog back AT ANY TIME if for any reason you can't keep it.

Completely agreed. :love:

Growing up a couple of dogs were byb and my heart dog Scooter a kelpie x was saved from a vet before being put down (some idiot had left a box of puppies on the vet doorstep). My mum bought herself a chi x pom from the petshop and he is the best little dog ever. He is getting on now- must be 15 or so. He has never been sick or had any problems and is still fit as a fiddle (although he doesnt chase the feral rabbits as much lol)

Banjo was from the RSPCA- while I felt like I was rescuing a dog and wanted to do the right thing I learnt a lot from it. He came with many behavioral issues and as it was my 1st dog after leaving home it just wasn't enjoyable- everything I wanted in a dog- All my dreams of off leash parks, running along the beach, doggy day care were all out the window. I was stressed. I started to dislike him. I seriously considered taking him back.

With a lot of training he has come good and now I wouldn’t give him up for the world and love him very, very much.

For my next dog I started to look for rescues but through foster carers so I know more about them etc. I was very dismayed to be turned away a couple of times- obviously I wasn’t good enough- I think it might have had to do with me working full time. Was treated damn rude sometimes as well.

So that left me with the registered breeder route..... And wow its the best thing I have ever done. Luda is healthy, has the best temperament. The breeder was an absolute joy to deal with.

I doubt I will ever bother with rescue again unfortunately.

If the breeder - even if not registered - did the best possible to ensure the health of the pups, raised them in the correct model, sells healthy happy pups - and keeps in touch, and is ready to help with possible problems, should he be listed as "less than reputable"?

I purchased my boy nearly 8 years ago from Pets Paradise, on Christmas Eve no less *hangs head in shame*.

Three years later we went into another pet shop looking for a cat flap, and left with a puppy who I thought would be an ideal companion for our boy. She was, but sadly went to the bridge last year.

After finding DOL a few years ago my eyes were opened. No more BYB dogs. Can't believe how naive I was. :rofl:

I blush to admit that both of ours are pet shop bought..I've certainly lived and learnt since joining DOLers..and will not make the same 'mistake' again..that said, I wouldn't replace my two for anything or anyone! Whatever their pedigree..their love is totally pure-bred...

my very first dog came from a BYB and he was a mix. i was only 13 at the time. now i have a rescue mixed breed with breeds we don't know he's a true bitsa (we think kelpie cross pointer cross.... :( ) lol and i wouldn't change that for all the pedigrees in the world.

they always says that pedigree breeders are the best snobs, and they don't like crosses, but im here to say that we LOVE ALL DOGS no matter their origin or breed and that includes cross breeds too.

Very true - as long as people don't insist on calling them by stupid "Designer" names :(

Reading this thread makes me realise even more how very, very lucky I was with my 1st Poodle. Back when we lived in New Zealand my OH (at the time) & I wanted a dog, as we had been burgled a few times. We wanted one that would get along with our cats. A friend of ours, who also had cats, had a great little miniature Poodle & we commented that a Poodle would be perfect for us (as I am also allergic to dog hair) if only they were bigger - we had never HEARD of Standard Poodles :(

Somehow we got onto a breeder who had a 12 week old bitch who was due to go to a show home in NSW but did not go for some reason. Rana was the most intelligent well-behaved dog ever - everyone adored her and her breeder was one of NZ's TOP Poodle breeders - she was a terrific mentor to us when we decided to become breeders (at her suggestion) and we ended up getting our foundation Bitch and Dog from her and a few years later got another bitch from her as well. She is my ideal when it comes to Registered, Ethical breeders and I strive to be as helpful & supportive to my puppy buyers as she was to me.

Edited by poodlemum

I think you can be stung any which way you go, there are some good byb, and some shockers, there are some good registered breeders and again some down right awful ones.

Mine have been a very mixed bag, my GSD I got from a very good breeder and she was a darling and healthy from day one to till very late in her long life.

My boxer again i got from a very good breeder, she was a darling but had dreadful health issues her whole life and cost me thousands.

My second boxer walked in off the street deciding that our place was much better than where he lived, after lengthy discussions with owner, he was desexed and lived a long and healthy life with us, doubt he was from a good breeder.

My OH's cattle dog and kelpie/border crosses were from byb, both lovely healthy dogs and both lived a grand long life.

Our stumpy tailed cattle dog was from a pet shop, one of those impulse buys, she was quite sick for a short time early on, then never ailed another thing till she died in her sleep at 14.

Our Rough Collie was from a friend, also a registered breeder, he never illed a day in his life apart from a broken leg thanks to one of my horses and died in his sleep at 17.

Our current dog an Aussie Shepherd was from a registered breeder, healthy as, but extremely timid, dreadfully timid and a fear biter due to it, great around us, great with my daughter, great with other dogs and cats, but not good with strangers, never had a dog like it, but then we got her at 6 months and the seed was sown.

So as I said, don't feel bad, we have all been there done that and personally although I despise puppy farms and pet shops, there are a good few byb breeders around and I for one would buy of them again.

Edited by equerry

We got our little man from a BYB. And I wouldn't change a thing! He came vet checked, vaccinated, wormed and microchipped. He also came with a free puppy pack with all his information.

We got to meet his parents and see his brothers and sisters. They were all very happy, healthy dogs.

He is the most adorable pup and we love him to bits!! His is part of our family now :rofl:

So they tested the parents for PRA and HD too? If so, for BYB's they are paragons of virtue.

If not, you might like to rethink your statement that you wouldn't change a thing.

Edited by poodlefan

Well, purebreds haven't always been pure. They all started as deliberate cross breeds.

*sigh* not true, nowhere near true and never will be true. Cross breeding is more a modern(ish) concept then is was before.

I can tell you I will foster but I will probably never take a rescue dog again. I've learned my lesson. Bad temperament, bad health - for that money I could have bought a breeding pair of working line Malinois. Not saying I dont love the big oaf of a thing but nah, I can't live through all that again.

I'll only buy a pup from people and dogs I know. With papers. Not getting stooged on THAT again too.

Edited by Nekhbet

Well, purebreds haven't always been pure. They all started as deliberate cross breeds.

*sigh* not true, nowhere near true and never will be true. Cross breeding is more a modern(ish) concept then is was before.

I can tell you I will foster but I will probably never take a rescue dog again. I've learned my lesson. Bad temperament, bad health - for that money I could have bought a breeding pair of working line Malinois. Not saying I dont love the big oaf of a thing but nah, I can't live through all that again.

I'll only buy a pup from people and dogs I know. With papers. Not getting stooged on THAT again too.

I'd get a dog from a reptuable breed specific rescue such as Golden Retriever rescue or Lab rescue.

The puppy we're getting in January is from a reputable breeder and already it's been a completely different experience to Akira. We've had so much support already and I know that will continue for her entire life. We can't even get in contact with Akira's "breeder" because he won't answer his phone or reply to messages. We also know that her parents have had every vet check and test they need. While Akira's extremely healthy and I assume her grandparents were health tested (her parents are both limited register Sibes) I worry a little that she won't be healthy when she's older. The only bad side of a reputable breeder is the wait! :o

Edited by whiskedaway

I'd get a dog from a reptuable breed specific rescue such as Golden Retriever rescue or Lab rescue.

Whats the difference? They didnt breed the animal, they didnt raise it so there is still no guarentee.

Sorry to sound down in the dumps about it but I have greater plans for my dogs then just pets so hence avoiding rescues. I know how I want my dogs to be raised from day one if you get my idea :o

it's not about loving your dog or not it;s about making sure your dog has the best chance it can for a long and healthy life. Not health testing the parents wont do that, and just because a BYBer could be bothere shelling out for worming and vaccination does not make them the bees knees.

As they say the road to disaster is paved with good intentions.

We got our little man from a BYB. And I wouldn't change a thing! He came vet checked, vaccinated, wormed and microchipped. He also came with a free puppy pack with all his information.

We got to meet his parents and see his brothers and sisters. They were all very happy, healthy dogs.

He is the most adorable pup and we love him to bits!! His is part of our family now :)

So they tested the parents for PRA and HD too? If so, for BYB's they are paragons of virtue.

If not, you might like to rethink your statement that you wouldn't change a thing.

I will cross theat bridge if it happens... but I will still love my dog the same no matter what. Just because the dog may not be perfect or doesn't have some special certificate stating that nothing maybe not be wrong at the moment.

Yes it is nice to have reassurance but like I said I would not change anything, if these things did happen yes it would be a bit sad but he is still my dog and still part of the family.

Comments like this is what is putting me off coming to this forum...., what happened to the positive. Its meant to be a exciting and rewarding experience getting a new member of the family.

I respect that people have their own views, but some go to far.

So you're saying that you'll go back to another BYB that doesn't health test for inheritable conditions for your next dog? But me taking issue with that goes "too far"?

Health testing is more than about your dog being "perfect". Its about your dog not going blind from a totally preventable genetic condition while its in its prime or not having to live a life in pain with dodgy hips before being PTS far too young. Its an animal welfare issue IMO.

You were on this forum before you got your pup. You were advised to seek out breeders who tested for PRA etc. You even asked questions about PRA in the ACD thread before you decided to commit to this pup. You ignored the advice given. If you wanted a positive response to your statement that you wouldn't change a thing about the source of your pup, perhaps you're on the wrong forum.

Responsible breeders, registered or not, don't turn a blind eye to preventing health issues in the dogs they breed. That's "positive" breeding.

Your pup is 12 weeks old. You could have bought one that you could guarantee would never go blind from PRA. You didn't. I find it hard to put a positive twist on that. :o

Edited by poodlefan

We got our little man from a BYB. And I wouldn't change a thing! He came vet checked, vaccinated, wormed and microchipped. He also came with a free puppy pack with all his information. I also did quite a bit of research on the breed we were after in terms of the characteristics and features.

He is the most adorable pup and we love him to bits!! His is part of our family now :)

Alot of people get dogs that are free to good home or from the animal shelters and they don't know the complete history of the dog. As long as the dog is healthy and happy... all dogs need a loving home :o

Did you puppy's parents have the required health testing carried out for the breed?