What Do You Think Someone Should Do?

Everything you've said, but also get very familiar with the known health (and temperament) issues in the breed, if they are genetic then their modes of inheritance and any available testing, and to the extent possible research the health status, longevity, character and vigour of particular lines that may be considered for the breeding.

That's a 'must do' to me, a 'nice to do' is to see a number of different major lines/types/styles of the breed, even if just on video, not be just narrowly focused on what may be winning in their locality at the time.

And have either a very good and happy to be called out vet or an experienced local breeder on hand for the whelping if it's a first litter.

Then after a few weeks invite me over for puppy cuddles. :confused:

Edited by Diva

Everything you & others have already mentioned, along with studying your breed's history - its historic form & function.

And if you can get overseas as well and visit specialties & noteable kennels / doyens of your breed.

Don't be in a hurry, let your eye develop as you learn the nuances of your breed.

fifi

edited to add stuff !

Edited by fifi

I don't believe that a titled dog is essential to breeding well. At this point any litter I breed will come from a titled bitch but I'm not 100% sure that the dog will be titled. I will pick the dog on its merits, what it adds to the breed, what it adds to my bitches and what it adds to my breeding program. A title is a very small part of that IMO, particularly given that there are only 24 Fauves in Australia. However, even if there were more Fauves in Australia a title would affect my choices at all.

Understanding what you have in the first place. :eek:

i really agree with this. if i was going to breed i would need to know i was breeding the best i had so maybe my dog/bitch might not be good enough.

i think a thick skin would help because i would ask experienced breeders what they thought. i suppose thats why people have said getting a title because thats one way of determining what you have.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Knowing what your goal is for the litter, for you and the breed and what you will and will not be prepared to compromise on in order to get there.

Write it up sort of like a business plan - sounds corny,and I know its only a hobby but it's a great tool and you will be surprised at how it all comes together.

As someone who hopes to breed in the future, I have found the best ways I have learnt about my breed have been a willingness to ask questions from lots of different breeders with different types, REALLY listen to the answers and value and respect those who have been in the breed longer and know a hell of a lot more.

As well as all of the above, I think someone should own or train several dogs of a particular breed before starting to breed that breed.

It always rings alarm bells for me when a person decides to breed the first and only dog of a breed that they have ever owned or trained. It makes me think, how do they really know how good the dog is if it's the only one they have owned, and how do they know they love & understand the breed as a whole (rather than just their own dog)? I'm sure it sometimes works out OK, but I would not (as a general rule) want to buy from such a novice breeder, I like to find a breeder who knows the breed inside & out. Possibly this is more of an issue for working dogs than for pets, though.

Trying to see as many relatives from the pedigree as possible, so you can track how that line has been developing, seeing where the strengths and weaknesses lie. Being honest about your dog and how she fits the standard and how this fits with the history of the breed.

Try to broaden your views on the ideal dog - eg why do others prefer dogs of a different type?

I don't believe that a titled dog is essential to breeding well. At this point any litter I breed will come from a titled bitch but I'm not 100% sure that the dog will be titled. I will pick the dog on its merits, what it adds to the breed, what it adds to my bitches and what it adds to my breeding program. A title is a very small part of that IMO, particularly given that there are only 24 Fauves in Australia. However, even if there were more Fauves in Australia a title would affect my choices at all.

I see the process of titling a dog as a separate question to what you use for your breeding program (within reason). I think the process of titling a dog teaches you a lot about dogs and dog world - or it should. I agree that a title doesn't mean the dog is suitable for breeding or that an untitled dog is unsuitable.

It always rings alarm bells for me when a person decides to breed the first and only dog of a breed that they have ever owned or trained. It makes me think, how do they really know how good the dog is if it's the only one they have owned, and how do they know they love & understand the breed as a whole (rather than just their own dog)? I'm sure it sometimes works out OK, but I would not (as a general rule) want to buy from such a novice breeder, I like to find a breeder who knows the breed inside & out. Possibly this is more of an issue for working dogs than for pets, though.

Agree with this for pets too, because the person's first dog could well have been selected for them as a suitable dog for a novice and they might find that most dogs in the breed are a bit more challenging.

Also having had a poor example of the breed in some respect - temp, health problem etc - so that you not only can recognise problems, but can put yourself in the puppy buyer's shoes/be more conscious of what bad decisions really mean for the breed. Not suggesting someone should actively look for a hard time, but when it arises it's a good learning opportunity.