Is Your Dog Stubborn?

corvus

How would you define stubbornness in dogs? Do you have a stubborn dog? If so, what makes you think it is stubborn.

How do you tell if a dog is being stubborn, or doesn't know how to behave, or doesn't have a strong enough reward history to overcome the pull of other rewards present? Just as an example.

My boy is quite stubborn, he will push the limits to see how far he can go with people. For example the other night he disparately wanted to go lay on my bed usually he will just run up the stairs and sleep in my room for hours. But this night I said no. For about 30mins he tried his luck trying to sneak up there when he thought I wasn't looking. I told him no several times and for him to get on his blanket he would sit there and whinge at me for a while. Just had to be persistent and he eventually sat there and shut up :)

He knows he can get away with thing with different people.... but not me :laugh:

Ridgebacks are a very headstrong breed that need a hard hand to lead them otherwise they would run a muck.

I would call Mosley stubborn.

He is very independent and sometimes can be quite naughty in regards to not following commands from us like coming inside when called. Sometimes we need to ask him to sit a few times before he will eventually give in and do it, whereas Lili will follow commands first time every time.

But you're right, where do we draw the line between being stubborn and just being naughty? :)

Many people (including myself) have labelled our deerhound x as "stubborn". When we first adopted her, she was not at all food, toy or tug motivated. If you tried to lure her with food, she would happily watch the food move away from her and make absolutely no attempt to follow it. It was almost like she thought "oh, so that's how it works around here" and just accepted things. She was 12-18 months old when we first adopted her, and whilst she was very socialable, had not been taught anything - she did not know how to sit, drop or walk on a lead. And no concept that food or toys could be hers as a reward. So, not sure if this is what you would class as stubborn, or had just missed the opportunity to learn how to learn.

Now, whilst she is not that food motivated, she will follow food as a lure. She knows that toys and tugs can be rewards, but isn't that enthused by them. You really have to work hard to teach her and motivate her - it is almost like she needs a really, really good reason to do something. I took her to a tracking day once. She seemed to get the idea of following the track fairly quickly on her first try. Second try, she was like "we've already done this once, why are we doing it again?!" Third time, I think I laid the track and she didn't want to start - I didn't push her, as I know from experience there is no point.

So, perhaps not stubborn, but very, very low in motivation and bores of things easily. Due to personal stuff, I haven't trained with her as much as I normally would - I would normally try to shape a trick, for 1-2 mins, every other day (emphasis on try!) - because the "good" rewards haven't been available as frequently, I have noticed that she is much more enthusiastic in working for those rewards when they are available. So, perhaps "deprivation" (in it's mildest sense) has helped to increase her motivation.... not sure though...

Two of my dogs are 'stubborn', although perhaps persistant would be a better word? Champa attended obedience to a fairly high level but if he is not in the mood, he will not do anything. If he wants something though, he will not stop until he gets it. For example, smashing a window to get to some rat food, or breaking the door off a garage to get into it (for no reason in particular).

Pia is stubborn too. At obedience, she will not do anything if she doesn't feel like it. She can be hard to motivate, but even when using a treat she really wants, she just pretends she has no idea what you are talking about. For example, she has known "sit" since she came here as a 4 month old puppy. She has to sit before she comes inside and before every meal. But one week at obedience, she just plain refused to sit ONCE the entire time. :) And the other night she decided that she didn't want to sit before coming inside. She kept trying to barge past but I'd say "sit", she'd ignore me, I'd close the door, 10 minutes later I'd try again. This went on for almost an hour, where I gave up.

She was very cute yesterday though. She is allowed on the couch by invite only. Yesterday she desperately wanted to get up though and I had told her 'no' a few times. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught her watching me very closely. When she decided my attention was diverted, she leapt to her feet and made a dash for the couch! I quickly turned to look at her, at which point she slammed on the brakes, pretended she wasn't doing anything and resigned to her bed! LOL!

I have one very, very stubborn boy and one very compliant happy girl :) We call our compliant dog "human smart" and our stubborn dog "dog smart".

The main thing he does which I would call stubborn is ignoring known commands, even when he has been consistently rewarded for doing the right thing, and been ignored or punished (eg. put outside) for not complying in the past. He knows how to work it with other dogs and get his way with people through his own methods. He's that dog that all the other dogs follow and copy. He is the type of dog that, when recalled, will come and sit a metre away so that you can't reach him to put him back on leash.

I would also agree in lacking motivation (or just a case of needing a different motivation than most dogs). The only time he ever gets excited about training is when I am also training our girl and he wants a piece of the action. I would love to have a really experienced trainer work with him for a few weeks just to see what they could get out of him.

My old cocker certainly had a stubborn streak :laugh: If I called him to come in out of the garden and he didn't want to, he would lay down and give me the 'defiant' look :) so I'd call him a couple of times and then start to close the door saying 'ok you can just stay out there then' and he'd be in in a flash :o

I have a very stubbourn Havanese. Call the dogs in for their dinner. They all come except for Peaches. Say "chicken" all the dogs will come inside except Peaches, she just stands on the drive wagging her tail. How to handle this? Well, first time she did it I shut the door on her. About 2 minutes later she starts scratching at the door, as everybody is getting fed except her. Did I let her in? NO WAY. She had to wait until I was READY to let her in, which was about 2 hours later. Tried it again another day. Everybody came inside except Peaches. Went to the kitchen to feed the dogs and Peaches starts scratching at the door. Did I let her in? NO WAY. Once again I made her wait till I was READY to let her in. Now we seem to have an understanding. I call everybody in for dinner, Peaches still stands on the drive. I have noticed that as I close the door, she is coming towards it to come inside. If I open the door, she heads in the other direction. If I let her get to the door and scratch on it to come inside, she will come in. I guess you would call that a compromise..... :)

Nope, Roger isn't stubborn. It's just that his ears are painted on and he can't hear what he's being told to do! :o

aww.. woger. I love his huge grins though.. forgive him for anything if he shot me one of those smiles :)

My cocker spaniel has what I call attitude. :) If she doesn;t want to do something then she just looks at me with a face like "yeah right lady!"

Ohh.. I know that look!!! :laugh:

Charlie is stubborn and determined little fella.

- When we play "Search"... he won't give up till he finds every object he knows that I hid around the house. This can entertain him for hours!

- If we have one of his toys on top of the draw and he wants it, he will sit there watching it.. waiting till I walk pass and bark at me till i get it for him. he could sit there for an hour watching that toy waiting for someone to walk into the room or pass.

- He won't do anything till he ready to do it and he doesn't like to be rushed.

Nope, Roger isn't stubborn. It's just that his ears are painted on and he can't hear what he's being told to do! :provoke:

aww.. woger. I love his huge grins though.. forgive him for anything if he shot me one of those smiles :(

Like this one? :hug:

post-864-1281930932_thumb.jpg

Nope, Roger isn't stubborn. It's just that his ears are painted on and he can't hear what he's being told to do! :provoke:

aww.. woger. I love his huge grins though.. forgive him for anything if he shot me one of those smiles :p

:( ;) :) :)

YES!!!!!! love it!

aww.. woger. I love his huge grins though.. forgive him for anything if he shot me one of those smiles :cry:

:( ;) :) :)

YES!!!!!! love it!

And note........NO EARS!!!!!!! :p ;) ;)

Mischa is notorious for being stubborn! She tends to shiver at night, so when I take her out of her bed and put her into mine (under the covers where it's warm) with Carl and I, I wake up to her squirming out of the bed a few minutes later! This is practically a nightly routine. I was surprised when I woke up the other morning to find her still in my bed. ;)

Jag has a lot of attitude, typical of a Bichon. He has "selective hearing" at the park. He'll come as long as we have the ball!

Carl and Cleo have stubborn streaks, but are both too soft and sensitive to act on it. Sometimes we get the occasional attitude, though.

Less stubborn, and rather more persistant. Dory sometimes does not take No for an answer.

Only time I saw her be stubborn about something was the Halti...she stood there with her tail down, her head hanging and refused to budge an inch. Even though the lead was totally loose. She seemed quite unhappy that she could no longer rule the roost and determine where SHE wanted to walk. Hadn't ever had a Halti on her before, only used it a couple of times and then gave it away. She would always just stand there, very resolute that she was not going anywhere with it on.

It was really quite a sulky expression (yes, totally anthropomorphic and I make no apologies :)

:thumbsup:

I would not say my dogs are or have been stubborn.

If they do not do something it is usually because they don't understand what I am asking or I haven't trained it sufficiently as yet.

The old boy has decided he can't hear you when you are trying to get him outside - I don't call that stubborn either.

I think the breeds I own and have owned are not noted to be stubborn.

Thank DOG its not just me!!!! I though Addy was broken, she is such a stubbon thing all the time. I would like to think she had some motivation somewhere, and I just have to find it, but after 7 years I'm still looking......

When I say sit, she will look away as if to say "i'm bored, get on with it'. When we go for a walk, she 'has' to be in front, so as soon as she pulls on the lead I stop and make everyone sit (yes the first 500m on the walk take a looong time to cover) she can take up to a minute of me asking her, pushing her into position etc for her to obey. Yet when we get home she is the first dog to sit and have her halti removed.......so she knows the command, she chooses not to do it. She will only come when called if the other dogs come, or I put on my 'I'm serious' voice...... yet she is the most loving soft dog i've ever known.

She resource guards everything, and I mean everything, she is currently guarding the bag of Dynamic Lifter that I bought home the other day. She does food, her bed (to the point where I will go and drag her off it and give it to the big dog, or he will drag her off and remind her who the boss is), us, she doesnt 'do' toys thank goodness........