Golden Retriever Puppy

thomo84

Look for:

Happy healthy puppies

Happy healthy parents

Breeders who are willing to let you spend time with the litter

Don't necessarily choose a puppy based on looks, sex or because it ran up to you first

Choose the one that follows you calmly when you walk away and the one that doesn't struggle too much when you pick it up....the "middle" energy puppy (not fool-proof but is a good guideline)

Go and see a number of different breeders if possible...always get proof of vaccinations and other vet reports etc. It's almost like a gamble but if you do plenty of research first, you should be right.

Good luck with your search!!!

Definitely not an expert, but some starting points to look for:

- Healthy looking i.e. coat looks nice, eyes are clear etc

- Interested in you

- Friendly and approachable - but not overly bossy, or too shy and timid (As Kelpie-i said - the middle of the range sort of energy level.)

- I would also want to see both parents if possible. I would pay attention to how they behave toward you to get an idea of their temperament

Hi Thomo,

I think I may have already spoken to you via an email but things you should check are the parents health certificates, eyes/hips/elbows/hearts. Make sure you are happy with the environment the puppies have been raised, that it's clean etc. that your happy with the dams nature. It's not always possible to meet the sire as they can normally live with others. I would say one of the most important things is that you can communicate with the breeder & that they are happy to answer questions and offer support once your puppy is home with you. If you have found a good breeder they will help you pick a puppy that suits your family.

Good luck with your new family member.

A good registered breeder should pick the puppy for you. Look for happy parents, or atleast a happy bitch if you can't view the dog. Stay away from shy bitches/dogs. Make sure the breeder does all necessary health tests, hips/elbows, hearts and eyes, and view copies of these health test results if possible.

Hi everyone,

Sorry was in bed when you guys replied. Yes going to visit two breeders today and hopefully make a deposit on a puppy we fall in love with and are happy with.

So what i gather is:

- choose a dog that doesn't leap up to you but doesn't sit in the corner all shy, go for the middle.

- choose from a breeder that will talk to us and answer questions, which they both have via phone & email already/

- make sure to get certificates on all elbow, hips, heart & eyes

- ask about after we buy support

- make sure they are registered

I think we should be good in choosing. Done it before a fair while ago with a Jack Russell and she turned out great. We are visitng one breeder this morning then going to another in the afternoon. The only thing i am worried about it going to the first one, falling in love with a puppy, putting down a deposit and then not going to the 2nd breeder and missing out on something. Only reason we can't do both and then decide is because they are a long way apart and we live a fair way from them and we really want to put a deposit down so we don't miss out and can get out puppy when we want, as plenty of breeders are having pups in a few months but we don't want to wait that long.

Sorry long reply.

Can you pay your deposit via bank transfer? That way you can look at pups from both breeders and then decide wich breeder had the dog for you (or would that be considered rude to the first breeder?).

congrats on going to get a golden. they are beautiful dogs.

to be honest i am not sure about the bank transfer thing.... i guess you could but from when you transfer the money to when they receive it they might feel they could have sold the pup to someone else, if you know what i mean. Like you can send emails saying you have transferred the money but not 100% they can beleive me etc. I have the cash and if we get there and we fall in love with a puppy and we are happy, then i don't see the point of going to the other breeder.....

Thanks, so excited!

I looked at a few breeders before deciding to get a golden puppy. I chose this breeder after talking to her about her dogs, interacting with all her dogs including the mum (they were all such happy healthy dogs), and looking at the health test results which she carefully explained.

I also had a preference for a slightly darker shade female so I did a bit of research and realised that the colour at the tips of the ears would be their coat colour when they are older. I had a choice between three pups that the breeder thought would suit me. All of them were playful and confident, so I picked the one that had the colouring I wanted.

When I first contacted the breeder and put my deposit, she encouraged me to visit her and the puppies every week till they were ready to go home. I picked mine a bit late (at 12 weeks) since I wanted to take a week off work.

Few things that were important to me (apart from the health tests) were:

Ensuring that I got along well with the breeder

Ensuring I liked the way her dogs were kept

The breeder asking me lots of questions about my other dog and how this pup would be kept

thats good to know about the colour at the tips of thier ears, thanks.

Yeah we are exactly the same and will be seeing how we get on with the breeder as we would like the after service care as well :eek:

If you go to the 2nd breeder, it would be a good idea to change clothes/shoes and wash inbetween the visits, so you aren't responible for potentially carrying an infection over to the other litter.

Firstly congratulations on getting a golden! Best breed ever!!!

My advice is to be comfortable with the breeder and pay attention to how the other dogs are kept. Also make sure you are able to read all health certificates (eyes, hips, elbows, heart) for both mum and dad of pups.

A great breeder will also give excellent after sales support. Four years after the purchase of my first dog (Bubby) I still go to my breeder for consultation on various doggy related things such as grooming , diet, toys etc.

I think as long as you have a great breeder, choosing a pup should not be too hard as you are starting off with top notch puppies. Also remember that puppies can act very differently at different times. To be honest my puppy was chosen for me (Bitty in my signature) and I didn’t care for her very much but as I am good friends with my breeder I trusted her and took the puppy I was given. She is now the light of my life. Absolutely perfect for me in every way! I am obsessed with the girl! :eek: