Tail Docking In Vic

HeavyPaws

I was at a Melbourne vet yesterday and met a very handsome 16 week old Doberman pup with a docked tail, and last week I saw a rott pup with a dock too, at the park.

I thought docking was illegal in VIC, but I'm still seeing young dogs and pups with docks in some places. I didn't want to ask either owner as that might open up a can of worms of unethical breeders, vets, etc.

My questions.

Do people {meaning registered breeders of dogs that traditionally have docked tails} still dock their puppies, and how do they get it done if it is indeed illegal?

Is it a case of don't ask don't tell with a particular vet?

Or would docked puppies only be from unethical breeders who do home docking?

No registered breeder is docking tails and no vets will do it if asked. Breeders are splinting tails to keep them straight and various other things which are rarely completely successful. If they are young dogs you have seen then they must be imported (unlikely) or docked illegally by BYBs.

Or would docked puppies only be from unethical breeders who do home docking?

Oh gee c'mon. Is this going to be another breeder bash? Maybe the tails you saw were amputated??? Most docked tails before the ban were done by breeders at home anyway because stupid vets didnt even know how to do them. Why dont you just dob them to the RSPCA?

I asked a lady late last year at my obedience class in Sydney that has a dobermann with a docked tail (the pup was about 4 mths old). I asked her how, why etc and she said her breeder got around it by registering the pups in WA - but reading another on this thread, that his loophole has possibly now been closed. I have seen quite a few dobermanns around (young dogs) with docked tails, though all the rotties have their tails intact.

Its called loopholes people, and some are kidding themselves that things are not being done under the rader - hence why I no longer breed Brittanys. Im not a fan of tails (each to their own) and Im not about to run the mill of reg. in WA and all the other crap that goes with it....but once again each to their own..

I dont think ive seen more then one or two undocked Dobes in the ring and my vet was after an UNDOCKED puppy and she struggled (needless to say she did find a lovely pup with a tail ;) )

Sure some a malformed, injured etc..but sh** thats alot of young dogs!

Again each to thier own and if thats what they want to do then its a free world, Im pro-docking so good on em!

eta flame away...:D

Edited by Missymoo