Don Burke Just Accused Rspca Of Cruelty

Bow Wow

I like your Mum and I've never met her!!! LOL Good on her!!!! :(

My mum met him at at botanic gardens morning tea a few years ago and told him he was a bumbling moron and chewed him out for some particulars she'd been holding onto for years. :(

He used to have these books, not sure if anyone remembered them, that came with some of the older issues of the magazine, that described a few species of plants, a few of birds, and a few animal breeds.

She held a grudge for most of my teenage years about his recommendation that cockatoos were perfect kid's pets, and how lettuce is good for rabbits, and also something about some palm tree or something. I kindof tuned out, a la teenage girl. :)

Whenever he'd come on tv she'd snort and go "Huh, that Don Burke, if I ever met him, oh I'd..."

And one day, she got her eternal wish.

Lock them in a room together for an hour and he'd take back everything he ever said to offend her. Tongue of flame, that one

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately when you are dealing with an arrogent human being you wil get the - you are wrong and I am right, never mind what the issue is you are discussing!

As with anything that involves humans you get the good and the bad. There are always going to be purebred rego'd breeders who do their utmost to breed the best animals they can, they will do everything in their power to improve their breed and sink their heart and soul into their dogs. Then you get people who are no where near as dicerning with matings, babies, placement of babies and after sale care. We will never get rid of that element, they are there in every facet of life.

I strongly agree that dogs should not be bred and housed like livestock, it completely goes against my grain. I do not care if a Puppy farm was the most modern, clean and well ran, dogs should not live in concrete runs day in and day out and pump puppies out every season they have until they are too old to do it any more.

They are companion animals and should live with and around humans. Don Burke will not go away until he graces thie earth no longer, he is very vocal and will not stop. We need to stand up and show how our babies are born, bred and reared. How they are socailised and the processes we go through to find them the best homes, how we give our back up to that baby until it dies of an old age.

I have had a Dobermann she died at 8 and a half from a hereditary disease. Do I blame all regod breeders-NO, Do I blame the ANKC - No I blame the breeder for not doing the right thing.

I now have two very healthy rego'd purebred dogs and wouldn't have it any other way.

Well I have wonderful purebred, healthy pugs with hidiously deformed squashed in faces..... so maybe I'll just do the "right thing" and take up this offer...........

we have a Jack Russell bitch which we would like to put in pup to a pug. We live in the Shepparton and I was wondering if you know of someone in this area that would to allow us to use their male dog , of course we would pay for the service.

God knows I don't want to be labelled cruel or anything. And if you think I'm being touchy, well you are right!!!! I'm sick and tired of people dragging up the "Pug squashed face can't breathe ........ " everytime there is some discusssion like this. Nobody has the right to make these comments unless they have bred Pugs and/or know more about the breed than just what they've read in books. Actually that goes for all breeds.

Rather than venting here, he has his own site with a forum where we can bombard him with our thoughts there!!!!

Be polite, and make a rational argument, without insults.

HE NEEDS FACTS, not to be berated, even though we disagree with him.

A healthy debate on his site would be much more fruitful

PM me if you can't find it and I'll pm the link

Edited by poodiful1

Rather than venting here, he has his own site with a forum where we can bombard him with our thoughts there!!!!

Be polite, and make a rational argument, without insults.

HE NEEDS FACTS, not to be berated, even though we disagree with him.

A healthy debate on his site would be much more fruitful

PM me if you can't find it and I'll pm the link

Dont waste your time - if he knows the purebred world is upset with him he will love it - in fact he will use it against us.

Health testing is certainly advisable, but when you elect to buy a pure breed, it seems to become essentially mandatory because the dogs seem to have a much higher inbreeding coefficient and so genetic problems are more likely to arise. That said, you breed two breeds together that both have the same problems, well, 1+1 is never going to equal 0. Hybrid vigour is certainly not guaranteed, but it does exist and there are dog breeds that carry separate conditions that can hence potentially benefit from out crossing.

The bolded bit above is totally wrong.

All dogs can suffer from hereditary problems and registered purebreds as a whole are no more likely than mutts to have problems. The purebreds that are far more likely to suffer genetic problems are the ones from backyard breeders that breed for profit with no regard for health issues and unfortunately these are highly represented in the veterinary statistics of "purebred dogs".

The reason we health test registered purebreds is because we can. The dedicated breeders work very hard to trace problems in their breed and have genetic tests developed to manage these problems. The tests can only be developed when there are are good pedigree records for the geneticists to work with and breeders willing to work with them. We collected blood samples from 600 Border Collies when we started the research into CL. This is simply not possible with crossbred dogs and most people producing them are only in it for profit. They have no interest in improving what they breed in any way.

Purebred dogs are the perfect research candidates for genetic disorders because the generations are short and the pedigree records are extensive. Line breeding and inbreeding actually makes it easier to track and eliminate problems. Having said that, some breeders do take inbreeding way too far and in some breeds, tight inbreeding is so common, it absolutely astounds me. Inbreeding does not actually create defective genes but it does concentrate them in a breed, leading to a sudden increase in dogs affected by those defective genes. This is when dedicated breeders work to get tests developed to counteract the problem thay now know exists.

Don Burke is a pathetic, souless little man with a massive chip on his shoulder regarding the pedigreed dog world.

He never allows anyone to have a say (even moreso if you are a woman) and is one of the most rude, chauvanistic, meglomaniacal bastards on this planet.

His knowledge of canine breeding, genetics and the dog world in general is base level at best and whilst he may be highly intelligent (ie: academic), he is so blinded by his hatred of canine governing bodies and the people who upset him many years ago, that he can no longer see reason or have an intelligent thought on the subject.

Unfortunately, he IS listened to by many who have little to no knowledge.

He is a supporter of ACA breeders who are known for their associations with puppy farms... and was a staunch supporter of Ron Wells.. the largest puppy farmer in the country until he was shutdown several years ago.

Don Burke is a pathetic, souless little man with a massive chip on his shoulder regarding the pedigreed dog world.

He never allows anyone to have a say (even moreso if you are a woman) and is one of the most rude, chauvanistic, meglomaniacal bastards on this planet.

His knowledge of canine breeding, genetics and the dog world in general is base level at best and whilst he may be highly intelligent (ie: academic), he is so blinded by his hatred of canine governing bodies and the people who upset him many years ago, that he can no longer see reason or have an intelligent thought on the subject.

He is a supporter of ACA breeders who are known for their associations with puppy farms... and was a staunch supporter of Ron Wells.. the largest puppy farmer in the country until he was shutdown several years ago.

Don't beat around the bush, Cordelia, say what you really think :( I couldn't agree more with your opinion of him!

I'm not known for beating around the bush. :banghead:

And I have told him exactly what I think of him... to his face. Rude prick that he is.

but being the prat that he is, it would have been in one ear and out the other... which means he is either egomaniacal or brainless. Possibly both. :(

Jacqui, I completely agree with you about the changes in breeds by breeders. I find it abhorrent that some breeders are breeding these poor dogs for looks and not caring the pain and health issues that they are creating. :banghead:

When that program on ABC about this was aired, it sickened me.

So with that I agree with the tool don Burke.

But what has me so upset is the push for puppy farms!!!! and I dont give a rat patootie if the puppy farm is clean and the animals are fed. I HATE that they live their lives in cages!!!!!!!!! I HATE that they are used as a commodity, a ways to make money. These are living animals!!!! :(:banghead: :banghead:

Show people this link and i beg anyone to tell me that it is okay for these darlings to be starved of affection and scared of human contact. God this made me cry, those poor little darlings and still the tails wag. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://wheredopuppiescomefrom.com.au/puppy...-awareness-day/

Well said Bindi. Puppy farms should become extinct ! There is no excuse for anyone being allowed to own hundreds of dogs for the sole purpose of making big money, shame on them.

i see you've met him too!! he is all that and more, you just forgot the being drunk bit