What Breeds Would You Consider?

Lucy's mama

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a nice Border Terrier.

Oh great idea!! Gorgeous little dogs. I also think a Corgi or Vallhund would be great. I truly love Welsh Cardigan Corgi's and from a purely appearance point of view the blue merles are to die for!!! I could live with a Corgi one day.

ETA: A NSDTR from the right lines might be another possibility.

I agree, a calmer older dog would suit as they go great at agility and are good with kids. However finding that dog will be very hard, older Tollers that need new homes are few and far between, will be even harder finding one that fits your situation. So a puppy would be the way too go, but then you may end up with an overactive nutcase :provoke:

One of my boys would fit in well, he is a very sweet, calm and easy to train but his dad was like that so like PF said, from the right lines would be another breed to look at. Give me another month and I can tell you if his daughter has inherited some of his personality :rofl:

No offence to you, kat99,

none taken i didnt word it very well , i have tervuern belgains and looked wisely into breeding lines before purchasing one i have 3 and all are great for kids only one was small though , i had a mal belgain and a gronedale as well but they didnt suit my male enviroment to hypo and full on as i have young kids so i do recomend terveuerns depending on lines , also i think a older dog would suit as normally is what you see if what you get ,

what if you rescued one from a pound or even got ur daughter into foster careering until the right dog came along you never know one that you would care for could be the match ?

Edited by kat99

A small Border Collie bitch would be fine with a 10 year old and they are the ultimate agility dogs. Maybe a failed/undersized showdog or a bitch retired after one litter would be suitable. The standard for bitches starts at just 18 inches and there are plenty even smaller than that. Small bitches only weigh 14-16kgs so are nowhere near the size of a male Aussie.

The size dog depends on how tall your daughter is, and how tall you think she might grow. By the time she trains the dog for a couple of years she will be 12. When I was 12 I was already 5'4 and that is taller than a lot of adult women, including my Mum. Your daughter will probably still be competing with the dog in 5 or 6 years time so take that into consideration.

A little biased, but I also think some (not all) BC's are perfect for a child's agility dog.

Sheep triallers often have young adults who did not quite make the grade in the trial ring. They are often very well bred & already come with good manners & obedience. They are also often not interested in other dogs which I think can be important for a child. There was a young girl, about 12, running a retired sheepdog in agility when I started years ago. They made an awesome team.

Edited by Vickie

My Vall rivals Shelties for unnecessary noise. :provoke: I live in hope that he will settle down in time, as he's still quite young, but I don't expect him to. He takes his watchdog duties very seriously. He has not been the easiest of dogs to raise and at times has really challenged my abilities, but he is a very drivey, outgoing, bold dude and he's the toughest little dog you'll ever see. He crash tackles my 26kg Lapphund when they are both galloping. It's quite spectacular, once the dust settles and you find that they are both still in one piece. He is small, but very solid and strong. Corgis are like that as well. I like my small dogs to be robust. :rofl:

What about a Tibetan Terrier? They seem quite fun.

A calm, small bitch Aussie would be suitable if you wanted to go down that track again. I know how much a handful Banjo has been but what you are describing is pretty much Holly. It would just be about finding the right one, although I completely understand you not wanting to go with another Aussie after Banjo. :)

This is what I was thinking. Dusty is very calm and quiet and woould make a great child-handlers dog. Not all Aussies are full on, and if you spoke to a few breeders about what you're after, they should be able to carefully choose a pup to suit.

Oooh, I forgot about TTs, great little dogs :) The only thing I'd be careful of (although this is the same with all breeds really) is to make sure you get a confident puppy for dog sports, as I have met some very shy TTs.

Oooh, I forgot about TTs, great little dogs :) The only thing I'd be careful of (although this is the same with all breeds really) is to make sure you get a confident puppy for dog sports, as I have met some very shy TTs.

Forgive me for the hijack, but TTs are a breed that I am interested in for my next dog (along with some other smaller breeds such as the mini poodle, sheltie, pap, CKCS). Are they really known for this? Whatever breed I decide, I want an outgoing dog. Was interested in knowing your experiences. Is it just a matter of finding the right lines? This is what I have discovered with the little research I have done into the Sheltie.

Forgive me for the hijack, but TTs are a breed that I am interested in for my next dog (along with some other smaller breeds such as the mini poodle, sheltie, pap, CKCS). Are they really known for this? Whatever breed I decide, I want an outgoing dog. Was interested in knowing your experiences. Is it just a matter of finding the right lines? This is what I have discovered with the little research I have done into the Sheltie.

I am not an expert, I have only met a few. I've met some that are confident and outgoing and some that are more timid. I was researching TTs when we got our puppy and I didn't read anything about them being timid, so it may just be a fluke that I've met some shy ones :)

I am not an expert, I have only met a few. I've met some that are confident and outgoing and some that are more timid. I was researching TTs when we got our puppy and I didn't read anything about them being timid, so it may just be a fluke that I've met some shy ones :)

Thank you. :D I got the same impression from the research I have done.

What about a Cairn Terrier or Norfolk? Both are very robust little dogs, and are more than capable of running with the bigger, more active dogs. My boy is a Norfolk x staffy, and he excels at agility--focuses easily, maintains concentration for a sustained period of time, hard to distract once in the 'zone.' The only downside to Cairns and Norfolks is the prey-drive. :) Although I have yet to meet one who isn't bold and outgoing. Not much fazes the little guys!

my vote is with a mini schnauzer-they love jumping and all the ones i've known are really good at agility. mine doesn't bark much at all, only after the doorbell has gone, and he quietens down quickly. smart and love their people but can play juts as hard as big dogs...

but a border terrier or a wire foxy or JRT could also suit.

Here are the qualities I consider specifically important In a dog for a child agility trainer & handler:

the more handler focussed they are, the better

the less dog focussed they are, the better

ability to take a lot of training

very food or toy focussed

the above mostly applies for mature dogs as obviously you can influence all this in a puppy.

It's nice for people to recommend their own breed, but I think it's pretty important for a child to get the right dog.

Children are less vigilant

they are physically not as strong

they generally don't see the bigger picture in training like adults do

they get frustrated more easily

Edited by Vickie

It's nice for people to recommend their own breed, but I think it's pretty important for a child to get the right dog.

Children are less vigilant

they are physically not as strong

they generally don't see the bigger picture in training like adults do

they get frustrated more easily

I agree. Nothing worse than seeing a frustrated or upset kid that's been matched with the wrong breed of dog.

I wouldn't recommend a terrier to many adult handers let alone a child. Yes, they can do agility. Yes, they can do it well. But I've seen far too many handlers struggle to get the necessary focus and control with them. They aren't a breed I'd recommend for many novice agility handlers.

Ditto goes for the super high drive working breeds. Simply too much dog. And low drive dogs take a lot of patience too.

I would say a nice moderate drive small BC would be suitable too. Although I am a little biased but I know a number around who are very biddable and would make a great dog for a child handler. My first BC would fit into that category. A steady dog who has been relatively easy to train and who isn't large as far as BCs go.

What about a Cairn Terrier or Norfolk? Both are very robust little dogs, and are more than capable of running with the bigger, more active dogs. My boy is a Norfolk x staffy, and he excels at agility--focuses easily, maintains concentration for a sustained period of time, hard to distract once in the 'zone.' The only downside to Cairns and Norfolks is the prey-drive. :) Although I have yet to meet one who isn't bold and outgoing. Not much fazes the little guys!

The Norfolks I have met are INCREDIBLY prey driven and if you want one, put your name on a waiting list early! There aren't many around.

Borders are more laid back terriers and the ones I've met are very food driven and easy to train for a terrier. Not as willing to please as the Aussie Shepherds but many will do almost anything for food!