Serious Flea Problem

jacqui835

This is actually for a friend's dogs. I don't understand it, but they have terrible fleas all year round. Their dogs are tiny, under 3kg but they use the frontline dose for a dog that's 10kg and administer a dose at least every 2 weeks (on the advice of their vet). They also bathe them with an anti-flea medicated shampoo, though the instructions say this can not be used often so they are only washed about once a month. They recently used a flea bomb in their house but the vet reckons they were re-infected by soil in the backyard. The poor dogs never stop scratching, and now their fur is actually starting to fall out, not to mention the condition of their skin. One has red and brown patches and even bleeds a bit. I can't stand to see dogs like this, but I can not fault what the owners have done because I can't think of what I would be doing differently. I wash my dog about twice a week (because he likes to come in bed with us lol) but I use an oatmeal all natural gentle wash thing that says it can be used more often than twice a week, but I don't really use much in the way of flea protection because he doesn't seem to have any. I'm about to go and stay with these guys though for about 1-2 weeks so would be great if there was some way to try and help them eliminate the flea problem.

What are we doing wrong and what should we be doing? Any help and advice appreciated :rofl:

Sounds like what we went through. None of the flea treatments were working. Every time we used one it was less effective than the last time. Flea bombs didn't do much as we have shagpile carpet. It seemed there were always some that went deep into it and survived. In the end, Comfortis saved our lives. We were flea-free in 3 months. Our whole house has been flea-free all winter and we are no longer dosing them. We have some ready for when the weather warms up, though. It is not very nice and made them throw up the first couple of times we used it, but man was it worth it.

I think I still have one or two tablets left for dogs under 9kg that I can't use if you're looking for donations. Would have to check if it's still within the expiry date.

This is actually for a friend's dogs. I don't understand it, but they have terrible fleas all year round. Their dogs are tiny, under 3kg but they use the frontline dose for a dog that's 10kg and administer a dose at least every 2 weeks (on the advice of their vet). They also bathe them with an anti-flea medicated shampoo, though the instructions say this can not be used often so they are only washed about once a month. They recently used a flea bomb in their house but the vet reckons they were re-infected by soil in the backyard. The poor dogs never stop scratching, and now their fur is actually starting to fall out, not to mention the condition of their skin. One has red and brown patches and even bleeds a bit. I can't stand to see dogs like this, but I can not fault what the owners have done because I can't think of what I would be doing differently. I wash my dog about twice a week (because he likes to come in bed with us lol) but I use an oatmeal all natural gentle wash thing that says it can be used more often than twice a week, but I don't really use much in the way of flea protection because he doesn't seem to have any. I'm about to go and stay with these guys though for about 1-2 weeks so would be great if there was some way to try and help them eliminate the flea problem.

What are we doing wrong and what should we be doing? Any help and advice appreciated :rofl:

I wouldn't use front line for starters - not sure what area you're in, but there is alot of resistance to it by the fleas! My parents dog has had fleas for as long as I can remember (not many, but enough to cause her some problems!!), and last time I went home I jsut couldn't stand it, so I took her into the vet and got some comfortis... well I can hardly recognise my parents dog she looks AMAZING!!! No more scratching, the hair has grown back and she just looks great - out on weight and is so happy now!!!! Maybe give this a try - i've heard great results from friends who've used it as well - it's a tablet you give once a month! Also, washing bedding, keeping it clean and dry, cleaning the carpets, things like that to try and get them out of the environment.

Put lime in the yard, wear a rubber glove and chuck it in all the gardens and on the lawns, then hose it in a bit.

For cement/paved areas make up Malawash and water in a weed sprayer and spray the area, spray under the house, around the sides of sheds etc

Flea bomb the house

Wash all bedding in hot water

Bath the dogs

It all needs to be done at once. You can lime the yard more than once and now it's raining is a good time. You can also chuck lime under the house and leave it, providing the dogs can't get on it.

Fleas love sandy soil and they love the warmer months, it's starting to get warm again so here they come marching.

I have a flea problem at home and I go to bunnings and buy and outdoor flea and insect powder that you mix with water and spray near all entrance's of the house. I spray the path and walls of the back, ground/grass surrounding the back of the house, inside his kennel, his tramp bed and I was all of his bedding in boiling water. On the same day I do this I send him to the groomers to be clipped, washed and fea treated where she also gives him a capstar tablet. A couple of days later I put frontline on him. I also vacuum the house the same day and flea bomb, wash my bedding in hot water and so on. Make sure they empty their vacuum afterwards in the bin outside as the fleas can still jump out afterwards. roughly 2 weeks later I will do a follow up spray outside and continue washing Oscar fortnightly.

They NEED to stay on top of it especially if they have sandy soil. In the colder months fleas don't die they go underground and once it starts warming up they come out to play. I was going to put lime all over my back lawn as it isn't harmful for dogs but thought I'd see how what I do above went and it is succesful. I have a bad owner of a neighbour to their dog who has since been killed by a car since last flea season, but I used to GIVE them frontline and ask them to bomb their house and yard so I didn't keep having the problem.

Flea's HATE the smell of lavender and will try and get away from it so tell them to have lavender burning or around the house. Also if they have floor boards the eggs get inbetween the boards and the vibration from walking on them make them hatch quicker so make sure they vacuum AT LEAST every second day.

On another note, it's probably not wise to wash your dog twice a week. It strips the natural oils of your dogs coat and is actually worse for them. This was the advice given by my Pop MANY year ago which has been supported by my vet and groomer.

Thanks guys, I think I'll recommend the comfortis to them. I just googled it and I'm a little bit worried about the potential side-effects but I guess they're rare and for these dogs the fleas are beyond a nuisance, they are really hurting them.

I will buy them some lavender scented candles and we'll look into the lime. I will also tell them to step up the vacuuming lol.

Corvus if you do still have those tablets and they're still good, that would be really generous. Are you in Sydney?

Hmm I thought it was possible to wash a dog with stuff that didn't strip their natural oils? He has a very shiny coat and the stuff I was him with has no soap, just an oatmeal mix. But I'd prefer a dirtier dog to causing him harm, does anyone know if it is safe to wash him twice a week?

Thanks guys, I think I'll recommend the comfortis to them. I just googled it and I'm a little bit worried about the potential side-effects but I guess they're rare and for these dogs the fleas are beyond a nuisance, they are really hurting them.

I will buy them some lavender scented candles and we'll look into the lime. I will also tell them to step up the vacuuming lol.

Corvus if you do still have those tablets and they're still good, that would be really generous. Are you in Sydney?

Hmm I thought it was possible to wash a dog with stuff that didn't strip their natural oils? He has a very shiny coat and the stuff I was him with has no soap, just an oatmeal mix. But I'd prefer a dirtier dog to causing him harm, does anyone know if it is safe to wash him twice a week?

My parents little dog hasn't shown any side effects, but all dogs are different. Good luck with it all, I know what it's like to see dogs in pain from fleas :) . Hopefully you can help give them some relief!!! :rofl:

try Comfortis

+1 great stuff

Corvus how bad is the nausea with Comfitis? I am still too chicken to try my pack as Bubby tends to be a more nauseas kind of dog

Some dogs will vomit after the first one (my girl did), some dogs show no side effects (my boy). It depends on the dog. The enclosed leaflet says to re-dose if the vomiting is within an hour, mine was after about two hours so I didn't bother.

Oh, and she's been fine with every one after the first :thumbsup:

try Comfortis

+1 great stuff

Corvus how bad is the nausea with Comfitis? I am still too chicken to try my pack as Bubby tends to be a more nauseas kind of dog

Some dogs will vomit after the first one (my girl did), some dogs show no side effects (my boy). It depends on the dog. The enclosed leaflet says to re-dose if the vomiting is within an hour, mine was after about two hours so I didn't bother.

Oh, and she's been fine with every one after the first :thumbsup:

Ahh thanks! I think I will need to try it when it gets warmer.

All kudos to ReadySetGo :thumbsup: Excellent advice. :D

You can do the dogs, your can do the bedding but if you have a severe flea infestation, the yard, the bedding, YOUR BEDDING, carpets and dogs all need to be done at once. :cheer:

If you do ALL this and then notice a flea 3 days later, give the dogs CAPSTAR.

A week later, do the whole treatment again.

99% sure you won't have fleas after that :thumbsup:

I see that you've already had lots of good advice but here's my contribution! My dogs suddenly developed a bad flea problem some years ago and all my efforts to eliminate it were futile until I flea-bombed under the house. Problem solved instantly and it has never recurred.

Looks like I've only got one left, but I'm in Sydney and I could post it in an envelope no worries. It's still within its expiry date, but it says on the pack dogs from 4.6kg-9kg. Not sure if that's an issue if the dogs are smaller than that?

Before Comfortis came along I was using tissues or cloth with a few drops of Lemon-scented Teatree oil wrapped around my older dog's collar. She was really having a hard time with them, and that was the only thing I found that had any impact at all. It seemed to discourage them. She hated the smell, though. I thought if I could get her to wear some around her ankles it would slow them down more, but she never agreed to that one.

As far as nausea goes, Kivi threw up the first two times he had it and was a little subdued the first time. My other dog didn't throw up at all, but was a little subdued the first time. After that, they were both fine. We always dosed them when feeding a meal, which is supposed to help.

I did what ReadySetGo said and it only knocked them down for about a week. Seriously, it is horrible when you've done everything you can and still have a massive flea problem. It made me look and feel like a terrible owner. We were that close to ripping up the carpet in sheer desperation. Come to think, probably should have done that anyway. It's horrible stuff.

Comfortis is a top product i use it on all my dogs , i had majour flea promblems winter of summer and one of my dogs would loose his hair no matterw hat product and even loos weight dramatical due to fleas and the dermitists used Comfortis and he is back to his heatlhy seld know i dont have a promblem with fleas .

you state she washes her dogs they stuff could be washing off , and when it rains and the dog gets wet it washes off this is what i found as my dogs are mainly outside well a few months back they were lol .

You really need to flea bomb the house/yard - everything! Not just the dogs or the problem will keep recurring. Had a problem like this when my brother took his dog out (unprotected from fleas~) and came home and infested all the other dogs with it. Frontline worked for us, but no sunning of the bedding - it would actually help the eggs to hatch. Wash all their bedding, yours, and use some of your existing frontline solution, add it to some soapy water and clean all the floors (especially if you have wood floors) and skirtings. This was told to me by the store and it worked.

Good luck!