What Breed Has The Strongest Prey Drive?

corvus

After watching the way Akira goes after birds (she jumped on top of my car bonnet a few weeks back chasing a bird with stitches in her belly) and the fact that the only time she's met a chicken she was very close to killing it within ten seconds, I would say that some Sibes can be very strongly prey driven. If the crows are out in the morning when we go for a walk, it takes all my strength to hold her back because she won't listen to any commands once she's caught sight of them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Siberian husky is the most prey driven dog I've ever known, anything that looks or smells like prey and he's totally into it nothing else matters. He was ok with cats as a pup until one darted across in front of him and he went for it and ever since he has to be held back around cats. I'd say it's both sight and smell he is very reactive to sudden movements and he could smell mice in a pile of rugs the other day and was obsessed with trying to find them. Unfortunately the mice are often too quick for him but if they are just a half second too slow he's got em!

I also have to say JRT, my Loulou practically ate a fridge trying to get to a rodent.

She damaged the fridge so much it died.I didnt know at the time.

Gilly is a JRTXAussie he is just persistant, will stay untill the prey comes out, then he will stay, just because the smell is still there.

Sounds like you have a winner Corvus! JRTs it is :)

One time a little couch JRT who had never laid eyes on a rabbit before found my hare. She thought all her Christmases had come at once. Kit, who at the time was living with two dogs including a known sheep killer and was quite relaxed around them, knew he was in trouble. He was fortunately in his cage at the time and I had just gone into another room, so I could hear the sound of a hare mindlessly running in circles trying to escape this little dog that was everywhere he turned. I have no doubt that if I had not been handy she would have found a way to get to him sooner or later. The housemates got a little talk about making sure doors were properly latched and keeping the JRT in sight at all times while she was visiting.

OK- are those dogs out there with high prey drive triggered by the sight or scent of the prey, d'you think?

Yes. Greyhounds tend to chase fast moving creatures. It's just what they do.

My house cats are safe from my Greyhound UNLESS they are running in a paddock and then it is a quick scramble to get Fang on a lead. Possums/bunnies etc are NOT safe here as a rule because if you see them, they're running and then they become fair game.

Not true about the Pug Anne. I have one who has enormous prey drive. I have watched her stalk birds like a lion (slow stalking to get close). If you are not watching and a chicken makes the mistake of coming into the house yard.....goodbye chicken. And she has even caught a rabbit that got into the house yard.

Not true about the Pug Anne. I have one who has enormous prey drive. I have watched her stalk birds like a lion (slow stalking to get close). If you are not watching and a chicken makes the mistake of coming into the house yard.....goodbye chicken. And she has even caught a rabbit that got into the house yard.

Yes, I have no doubt that there will always be exceptions to the norm puglvr. There are actually human aggressive Pugs out there too but I would also add them to the bottom of the list for human aggression.

Speaking of rabbits, I have seen Pugs chasing rabbits although the behaviour was learned from the cattle dogs that also lived on the property. It was quite a funny site watching a heap of little Pugs racing through a paddock. :rasberry:

Edited by ~Anne~

What breed do you think has the strongest prey drive? :laugh:

Not sure about the strongest, but I am pretty sure the Pug would have to have the absolute weakest prey drive. :rasberry:

You've never heard the expression "like a Pug onto a cupcake?"

What breed do you think has the strongest prey drive? :rofl:

Not sure about the strongest, but I am pretty sure the Pug would have to have the absolute weakest prey drive. :rasberry:

You've never heard the expression "like a Pug onto a cupcake?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

God knows how she managed it, but she was quite pleased with herself and got very cranky when Harry went near her 'kill' :rasberry:

copyofp10205511283222175.JPG

And there is a certain famous bullmastiff that recently caught a bat :laugh:

Im surprised theres been no mention of a Beagle....or are they not as prey driven as I have been made to believe? (get first Beagle puppy this Friday so been doing ALOT of research etc over the last couple of years.)

God knows how she managed it, but she was quite pleased with herself and got very cranky when Harry went near her 'kill' :rasberry:

copyofp10205511283222175.JPG

Eeeew! :laugh:

Boofy will sometimes chase birds but he hasn't the ability to catch them I don't think.

The Siberians have to sitting amongst the strongest prey driven breeds. They are a breed that evolved surviving on their own for many months of the year, thus their hunting/survival instinct is extrodinary!

Some of course are worse than others - but as a general rule don't expect them to treat anything fast moving, fluffy, furry or feathery as anything but possible dinner. We tell this to all potential owners, and can recount many many tales of animals that have come to an unfortunate end due to our dogs.

Edited by SilverHaze

So many variables.

If the prey drive has been modified to do a herding, scenting, retrieving or coursing role it is hard to compare the strength of drive.

Threshold to drive varies. Some dogs go into drive on a hair trigger, others will only go into drive in a specific set of circumstances, yet the drive could be higher.

For me, a basic test of strength of drive is 'distractability' while in drive. A dog in high prey drive undergoes physiological changes in its body. The blood is directed away from the brain and internal organs and towards the muscles. It is focused on the prey. It is hard to distract.

Corvus you should talk to Garth Jennens who has a Phd on Predatory Aggression in Canines.

For me, a basic test of strength of drive is 'distractability' while in drive. A dog in high prey drive undergoes physiological changes in its body. The blood is directed away from the brain and internal organs and towards the muscles. It is focused on the prey. It is hard to distract.

Certainly they are freakin hard to recall. :rasberry: