Responsible Pet Education Program Vic

capanash

Great news from our Program Co-ordinators today. The NSW Dept of Primary Industries has decided to follow Victorias lead and offer this program for Preschool-Grade 2.

It is a wonderful opportunity to educate young children(& parents) about how to stay safe around dogs and responsible pet ownership.

www.pets.dpi.vic.gov.au

They will be advertising for suitable dogs and educators very soon.

I was disappointed to see that greyhounds are not allowed to apply because they have to be muzzled :laugh:

So many greys would be fantastic at this. I know my Patch would have been (not that I had 2 days a week free to do it).

No dogs that participate in ANKC recognised events like obedience, agility, herding, flyball, tracking and retrieving are allowed to participate in the program.

Dogs that participate in any sport that involves bite work are not allowed to be in the program.

No dogs that participate in ANKC recognised events like obedience, agility, herding, flyball, tracking and retrieving are allowed to participate in the program.

Dogs that participate in any sport that involves bite work are not allowed to be in the program.

Where does it say that?

it says in the declaration,

"2. Has not undertaken any form of training where the dog is required to bite, or grab hold of a person regardless of whether that person is wearing protective device or clothing. This includes the activities known as Schutzhund or Dogsport. "

Nothing about ANKC events.

Edited by lovemesideways

Where does it say that?

"2. Has not undertaken any form of training where the dog is required to bite, or grab hold of a person regardless of whether that person is wearing protective device or clothing. This includes the activities known as Schutzhund or Dogsport. "

I think grumpette left out a comma... It reads very differently then.

I think it should read -- No, dogs that participate in ANKC recognised events like obedience, agility, herding, flyball, tracking and retrieving are allowed to participate in the program. As in they ARE allowed. Dogs that participate in bitework are not.

Where does it say that?

I think grumpette left out a comma... It reads very differently then.

I think it should read -- No, dogs that participate in ANKC recognised events like obedience, agility, herding, flyball, tracking and retrieving are allowed to participate in the program. As in they ARE allowed. Dogs that participate in bitework are not.

Oooooh :laugh: that makes much more sense!

Just to clarify any confusion, the Program is more than happy to accept pure breed and cross breed dogs that partiticpate in any ANKC recognised dog sport /activity or flyball (or none at all) that meet the criteria as specified in the Educator Package on the website www.pets.nsw.gov.au

Your dog doesn't have to be a Best In Show winner or Lassie. It just needs to be calm and relaxed in a variety of situations, enjoy being around children and love to be patted!

This is a great job for people who have some spare time, enjoy being with children and would love to be able to take their dog to work. The issues of dog safety and reponsible pet ownership affect us all as dog owners. This is a wonderful opportunity to be able to educate future dog owners.

For those of you that live in NSW, get your applications in!