Dog Licking Human Wounds

Mr_Snow

A discussion has started at home because I've got a graze on my leg,

I'm not that aghast against my dog licking my wound aslong as it doesn't go too far (and I have to stop him continuing)....

...My partner is not too keen on it. Now we've both heard the myth about dogs licking your wounds, but a search online has raised both for & against reasons.

Obviously different dogs will have different habits (eating poo etc) but where lies some type of consensus. Have I been sucked into old wives tales?

What do the DOLforumites think on the matter??

My mother-in-law always used to get the dog to lick any cuts etc she had. Didn't seem to do any harm.

I've never felt the need to copy that activity, however. :rofl:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the American Civil War/War of independence the dogs that followed the camps for hand out were seen licking the wounds of soldiers that were badly infected and the doctors noticed that those that survived their wounds were the soldiers that the dogs licked.

It is entirely up to the individual if you wish to follow suit.

NO NO NO!!! They have a huge amount of bacteria that can cause infection.

I had a lady at work who let her dogs lick her wound from her total knee replacement: It was so bad they had to take the prosthesis out, put antibiotics in for a few weeks (while technically she didn't have a knee) and then re-do the whole thing again. NOT a good idea!

Years ago I rescued a dalmatian boy then moved to Sydney and on the flight over the boy apparently banged his ear into the cage and ended up with a haematoma on his ear. I had it operated on and brought him home with stitches and antibiotic cream. As soon as he walked in the girl started sniffing his ear and from then on kept licking it - even tho I'd try to stop her. They would lie together and she'd fuss over him LOL and lick his face and ear.

I took him back to the vet a week or so later and mentioned the licking and asked if I should keep her away. The vet said NO! He told me that the ear had healed a lot more than he had expected and that she was speeding up the process. He even said the antibiotic cream was not needed and to let her take care of it.

SO I've always understood that they lick wounds (peoples and dogs and even cats if they're close to them) because they are trying to fix them. And that they do have some sort of antibiotic properties in their saliva.

Having said that, while I wouldn't be too concerned at the occassional lick or a lick on a small graze, I wouldn't be letting a dog lick a serious wound.

Note also that dogs will suss out cancer in people - it's part of that instinct to heal.

A discussion has started at home because I've got a graze on my leg,

I'm not that aghast against my dog licking my wound aslong as it doesn't go too far (and I have to stop him continuing)....

...My partner is not too keen on it. Now we've both heard the myth about dogs licking your wounds, but a search online has raised both for & against reasons.

Obviously different dogs will have different habits (eating poo etc) but where lies some type of consensus. Have I been sucked into old wives tales?

What do the DOLforumites think on the matter??

And exactly the same thing happens on DOL as well.

I dunno, dogs lick their balls, eat grass and slightly off meat that has been marinating on bones that have been buried in the yard for the last week and a half... do you want all that on your wounds??

If dogs mouth were filled with as much deadly bacteria as some are saying then we would all be sick. In fact, everyone in my house would be dead! I wouldn't let a dog lick a serious wound (especially one from surgery) but a graze or small cut, whats the big deal?

That is so disgusting! :thumbsup:

I've noticed, a lot of 'dog people' aren't big on hygiene. This is more evidence of it.

My ex SIL once told me that it was 'disgusting' and 'unhealthy' to allow my dogs inside the house. She NEVER had dogs (or any animals) in her house but i can tell you it was my house that was cleaner by a long shot. You could go in their house and find food from a couple of days ago sitting on the stove, dishes stacked and covered in food, their toddler would always be walking around with food and dropping it on the carpet and squishing it in. Their house smelt awful, looked awful and there was no way I would eat food that was prepared there. However, she must have been 'hygienic' because if her son touched my dogs then she would make him wash his hands because apparently they are so disgusting and full of germs. :rofl:

That is so disgusting! :dancingelephant:

I've noticed, a lot of 'dog people' aren't big on hygiene. This is more evidence of it.

My ex SIL once told me that it was 'disgusting' and 'unhealthy' to allow my dogs inside the house. She NEVER had dogs (or any animals) in her house but i can tell you it was my house that was cleaner by a long shot. You could go in their house and find food from a couple of days ago sitting on the stove, dishes stacked and covered in food, their toddler would always be walking around with food and dropping it on the carpet and squishing it in. Their house smelt awful, looked awful and there was no way I would eat food that was prepared there. However, she must have been 'hygienic' because if her son touched my dogs then she would make him wash his hands because apparently they are so disgusting and full of germs. :dancingelephant:

I'd agree with your ex SIL.

The fact that she wasn't clean in other aspects negates her overall point, but generally speaking she is correct.

I don't let the dog lick me period.

Definitely not going to let her lick my wounds...

:dancingelephant:

I never had the animals in the house when the kids were little - for many reasons.

But they are in now - in a limited area for limited times.

There are no crapets, they don't bench surf, get on couches and definitely not on beds. They are generally kept in their place - on the floor.

No carpet. Regular vacuuming keeps the mess at bay - total mess = a few dog and cat hairs - that is all as they are fed outside.

They also sleep outside (dog) or in the shed (cat) as a rule.

But this year I have relented and put Kaisie inside at night due to her advancing age and arthritis issues. She is SOOO good! Stays on her mat/bed all night - never moves off it until someone calls her to go out and wee! She deserves the comfort in her old age, I reckon.

Edited by noisymina

That is so disgusting! :dancingelephant:

I think that's a rude and insulting post derRottweiler - not to mention completely without basis. I used to run a house cleaning business and some of the cleanest homes I worked in had dogs inside. On the other hand I have experienced many a slovenly unhygienic home where the unfortunate family dog is tied up outside in a mud pit looking filthy.

But those are both generalisations, just like your comment - and ultimately mean nothing because how people are about cleanliness has little to do with owning pets.

Fact is, people will be unhygienic and untidy in their homes whether or not there's a dog inside. And many people who do have dogs inside, myself included, are actually even more vigilant about cleanliness and hygeine because the dogs are there.

What else do you mean by "not big on hygiene"???? Dog owners don't wash themselves? Have bad teeth???? Wear the same clothes for weeks on end?

Seriously - what sort of comment is that to make?

I wouldn't leave my dogs outside. They are sociable animals and want to protect me. They can't do that if they're stuck outside (especialy if they're tied up or in a dog run)

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be here today ranting on this forum if I had kept my previous dalmatian outside.