Dog Licking Human Wounds

Mr_Snow

Just as many wounds DON'T heal because animals have continued to lick them, making them moist and infected. Think of hot spots and lick granulomas. The constant licking and irritation from the licking can create worse wounds than what was started with.

Why do we prefer dogs not to lick their surgery wounds? Because of the risk of infection and prolonged healing. Wounds should be kept clean and dry.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CW EW - yes, I agree, there is a difference. My old dog who licked the rescue dogs ear stitches did not do it obsessively. Only when it looked like it needed cleaning up - and then very gently. Lick granulomas are from constant licking and they also chew on the spot which makes it worse. One of my dogs had a constant issue with a lick granuloma so yeah, I know what you mean.

That is so disgusting! :dancingelephant:

I've noticed, a lot of 'dog people' aren't big on hygiene. This is more evidence of it.

I think that's a rude and insulting post derRottweiler - not to mention completely without basis. I used to run a house cleaning business and some of the cleanest homes I worked in had dogs inside. On the other hand I have experienced many a slovenly unhygienic home where the unfortunate family dog is tied up outside in a mud pit looking filthy.

But those are both generalisations, just like your comment - and ultimately mean nothing because how people are about cleanliness has little to do with owning pets.

Fact is, people will be unhygienic and untidy in their homes whether or not there's a dog inside. And many people who do have dogs inside, myself included, are actually even more vigilant about cleanliness and hygeine because the dogs are there.

What else do you mean by "not big on hygiene"???? Dog owners don't wash themselves? Have bad teeth???? Wear the same clothes for weeks on end?

Seriously - what sort of comment is that to make?

I wouldn't leave my dogs outside. They are sociable animals and want to protect me. They can't do that if they're stuck outside (especialy if they're tied up or in a dog run)

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be here today ranting on this forum if I had kept my previous dalmatian outside.

Good post spottychick - my house is also very clean and tidy. A few months ago OH and the kids were away at the same time for a few weeks and the house stayed cleaner for longer even though I allowed my 4 dogs and 2 cats full access to the house. My animals don't toilet in the house, they get fed outside and apart from pet hair and the occasional dirty footprint they don't make any mess at all.

They get fresh bones that get eaten within an hour of getting them (if there is any left over they get chucked in the bin the same day), they are wormed, vaccinated and they don't spend much time with unknown dogs or animals. While I certainly wouldn't let them lick at a wound constantly, if they happened to give a small graze or cut a couple of licks it wouldn't bother me at all. :dancingelephant:

Well , it doesnt look like there are many "for" the subject.

But with being owned by dogs all my life, if I had a skinned knee or graze(as was quite common as a kid) our Boxers did used to lick our wounds. None ever got infected and actually healed really well.

Isnt it funny how some people think of these things as gross. We sterilise our world so much these days when in fact what we are doing is probably doing more harm than good. Kids have no resistance to bacteria in the world today. Over 30 years ago we were all exposed and we all lived.

As kids we used to eat dirt, grass(or some of us did anyway :dancingelephant: )

eta

I still remember, as a four year old at kindy sitting out with friends finding worms and eating dirt LOL

38 years later I am still here.

Edited by stonebridge

sorry to say but my dog has licked small cuts before and i am healthy

but i will also say i do let my husband kiss me and i just searched online about the germs in the human mouth so maybe i might just have to let my dogs kiss me instead :dancingelephant: cause the human mouth is also full of bacteria and germs......

that is the good thing about questions there is always the pro's and the con's and if this question had not been raised i would not have known how many bacteria are in my hubby's mouth......

A discussion has started at home because I've got a graze on my leg,

I'm not that aghast against my dog licking my wound aslong as it doesn't go too far (and I have to stop him continuing)....

...My partner is not too keen on it. Now we've both heard the myth about dogs licking your wounds, but a search online has raised both for & against reasons.

Obviously different dogs will have different habits (eating poo etc) but where lies some type of consensus. Have I been sucked into old wives tales?

What do the DOLforumites think on the matter??

It is an old wives tale for the most part. Wounds, depending on how and why, are meant to be kept dry, not moist for starters. A dog, just like a human, has bacteria in the mouth. You are at risk of developing an infection, or at worst, blood poisoning from allowing your dog to lick any wound.

But with being owned by dogs all my life, if I had a skinned knee or graze(as was quite common as a kid) our Boxers did used to lick our wounds. None ever got infected and actually healed really well.

I remember as a kid I was running with our dog and being a kid, I manage to fall over her, grazing my knee. She licked it better and we kept on playing. :o

It's not something I would encourage now, but I don't find the thought of it that disgusting.

but i will also say i do let my husband kiss me and i just searched online about the germs in the human mouth so maybe i might just have to let my dogs kiss me instead :( cause the human mouth is also full of bacteria and germs......

that is the good thing about questions there is always the pro's and the con's and if this question had not been raised i would not have known how many bacteria are in my hubby's mouth......

Now that you know that, would you let your husband use your toothbrush?

:D :o

Well , it doesnt look like there are many "for" the subject.

Isnt it funny how some people think of these things as gross. We sterilise our world so much these days when in fact what we are doing is probably doing more harm than good. Kids have no resistance to bacteria in the world today. Over 30 years ago we were all exposed and we all lived.

As kids we used to eat dirt, grass(or some of us did anyway :( )

eta

I still remember, as a four year old at kindy sitting out with friends finding worms and eating dirt LOL

38 years later I am still here.

I ate a snail....and a friend used to sit at her flyscreen door and eat all the dead flies off the floor :o

I wouldn't let a dog constantly lick at a wound but I don't really stress if they lick a cut or manage to slip their tongue up my nose or something :D

Edited by Aussie3

but i will also say i do let my husband kiss me and i just searched online about the germs in the human mouth so maybe i might just have to let my dogs kiss me instead :( cause the human mouth is also full of bacteria and germs......

Now that you know that, would you let your husband use your toothbrush?

:D :o

Yes I would, as long he hadn't used it to clean the loo first. :(

It suprises me all the things people will protest to as being disgusting yet are happy to engage in things such as unprotected oral sex and the likes.....

It's not like I'd let the dog lick a surgical wound, but a small cut or graze, didn't kill me as a kid and it didn't kill my kids......theres bacteria everywhere.

Oh and I am hygenic even though I own dogs and allow them inside.

That is so disgusting! :(

I've noticed, a lot of 'dog people' aren't big on hygiene. This is more evidence of it.

I think that's a rude and insulting post derRottweiler - not to mention completely without basis. I used to run a house cleaning business and some of the cleanest homes I worked in had dogs inside. On the other hand I have experienced many a slovenly unhygienic home where the unfortunate family dog is tied up outside in a mud pit looking filthy.

But those are both generalisations, just like your comment - and ultimately mean nothing because how people are about cleanliness has little to do with owning pets.

Fact is, people will be unhygienic and untidy in their homes whether or not there's a dog inside. And many people who do have dogs inside, myself included, are actually even more vigilant about cleanliness and hygeine because the dogs are there.

What else do you mean by "not big on hygiene"???? Dog owners don't wash themselves? Have bad teeth???? Wear the same clothes for weeks on end?

Seriously - what sort of comment is that to make?

I wouldn't leave my dogs outside. They are sociable animals and want to protect me. They can't do that if they're stuck outside (especialy if they're tied up or in a dog run)

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be here today ranting on this forum if I had kept my previous dalmatian outside.

I'm sorry, you think MY anecdotal evidence is completely without basis? So you've been there when I've seen people share food with their dogs (one bite for me, one bit for Rover)?

I'm not sure if you understand, but I said 'I've noticed'. Quite frankly, only I know what I have noted....if that makes sense. Then I come on here and see a thread about dogs licking wounds.....pretty hygenic ey? ;)

Sharing food with dogs, sleeping with dogs, etc. It is pretty common and I've observe this. Whether you have observed different is truly irrelevant and has little to do with what I've witnessed first hand. All things equal (i.e likeminded clean home owners), a house without pets is always cleaner. That isn't my opinion, that is common sense and some basic science too.

Well, at least you admit you were ranting, hope you enjoyed it! :o

Edited by DerRottweiler

I'm sorry, you think MY anecdotal evidence is completely without basis? So you've been there when I've seen people share food with their dogs (one bite for me, one bit for Rover)?

I'm not sure if you understand, but I said 'I've noticed'. Quite frankly, only I know what I have noted....if that makes sense. Then I come on here and see a thread about dogs licking wounds.....pretty hygenic ey? :o

Sharing food with dogs, sleeping with dogs, etc. It is pretty common and I've observe this. Whether you have observed different is truly irrelevant and has little to do with what I've witnessed first hand. All things equal (i.e likeminded clean home owners), a house without pets is always cleaner. That isn't my opinion, that is common sense and some basic science too.

Well, at least you admit you were ranting, hope you enjoyed it! :(

Your anecdotes have basis - your conclusions and sweeping generalisations do not. You took what you have seen amongst some people, made assumptions about what you saw and then applied it as a general theory to thousands of people you've never met.

What I think is totally relevant. Sorry if it bothers you that I disagree with you.

You use your casual observations of several dog owners to make insulting statements (in more than one post) based on sweeping generalisations that have no evidentiary basis. Of course that will be open to criticism and opposition.

And sorry, but my observations are at least as valid as yours and I'm quite entitled to state them. That's life chum. People get to challenge your assumptions.

Seriously - you might as well be saying "I've noticed that most people with blue eyes are just SO unhygeinic" just because you've met 20 people with blue eyes who had grubby fingernails.

And I'm not actually sure how you managed to actually "observe" a whole lot of people sleeping with their dogs......

But anyway - Ill leave you to your sweeping generalisations and just ask that you to try to be a little less rude when you communicate with people. My "rant" comment was merely an attempt to lighten the mood.

ETA for clarity.

Edited by spottychick

Isn't that interesting about the removal of the spleen leading to a greatly increased risk of infection from capnocytophaga - the bacteria that is found naturally in dog and cat mouths? They don't mention if the first woman didn't have a spleen though.