Should I Or Shouldn't I? Any Thoughts Appreciated.

spottychick

HonBun - I'm always open to advice. Some of the very good folk here helped me with Mr Tango! :rofl:

Thanks for the "Humbug" offer :rofl: Not sure it suits him tho, maybe just Bug!

I have another "bug" word in mind atm :rofl: - he just chewed pieces off the Snooza buddy bed I've had for years and the little *#@*** has worked out how to escape the yard!!! He didn't make it coz I'm watching him too closely but he made a great effort. Now I'm busily scrounging up fencing stuff and he can only go outside on the lunge lead until I'm satisfied I've made the place into Fort Nox.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, what happened to Rumba :coffee::coffee::coffee: , or if you have trouble with the "R" ...... Wumba :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey you! You're not allowed to laugh :coffee: Yeah I did actually find Wumba hard to call out ;) Thomeone thuggested Thamba inthtead which ith better but I do pwefer to sthteer clear of sth namesth hee hee

You're so cute Spottychick :rofl:

SC,

I am so happy that you finally have "Bandit" (I like this name too and we have to call him something :rofl: ) By his size I'd say he is between 8 and 10 months old, definitely older than 6 months and not an adult yet.

I hope the time you have with him, long or short, and the most rewarding for you. He has certainly showed some surprises in Pepper and Tango.

Good Luck

BF

Just a quick update. Pepper and Tango are both getting grumpy at and beating up the puppy but so far there doesnt actually seem to be any damage. He just gets in their faces all the time and leaps on them when they're snoozing etc.

Tango managed to scrape his face slightly (causing him to whimper for a second) but it doesn't seem to deter the little devil.

So far he has destroyed a dog bed and my double ended lead and one dessert bowl (knocked it out of my hand).

I have erected even more fencing and will be installing a farm gate at the side of the house and some more fencing further back from the front fence so that there are two layers of fencing/gates he has to get through to get out. He is a clever and determined little monster - he actually works out how to get things undone and managed to figure out how to open the front gate!!!!

But fortunately I keep an eye on him so I've stopped him everytime and he doesn't really seem to want to go anywhere anyway. Earlier I took the dogs out to the car and he wouldn't get in it. He seems quite frightened of the car and he managed to slip out of my grip and into the street. Fortunately it's a quiet back street at the back of my house so there were no cars. I called him in my happy voice and started walking in the opposite direction - he immediately followed and ran over to me. I gave him a treat and kept walking then turned back toward the car. He kept following. I stopped near the car, gave him a treat and then grabbed his collar and led him to the car with lots of "good boy" noises.

I thought maybe he didn't want to get in the back with my two because they keep snarling and snapping at him (LOL Fair enough!!). So I put him in the front passenger seat (I had to pick him up and shove him in!) but as soon as I walked away from the door to go round to the drivers side he leapt over into the back with the other two. Wierd.

He leaps through the luggage net that I've used as a barrier for years at will, so I'm now in the process of shopping for a proper dog barrier. Geez! This dog!!!!! I'm also searching for a metal crate that doesn't cost the earth and doesn't charge half as much for delivery of the thing!!!

Just took him on another off lead walk in a safe area. He was brilliantly well behaved and just followed Pepper and me wherever we went (Tango stayed on his lunge lead). Back at the house I let him out of the car and he went straight into the backyard without me having him on a lead. He also sleeps in the bedroom at night with no issues. He hasn't chewed up anything in my room or anwhere else (apart from fore-mentioned dog things).

I'm probably going to call him Dylan.

One interesting side effect of all this. Pepper and Tango seem to be drawing closer together.

Yep, most of his stuff is just him being too smart!! I think he's extremely trainable and has already progressed with 'TOT' from completely ignoring me and being distracted by everything to sitting and looking at me and then going for his food when I let him off the lead and say okay. All without me using any words or instructions and that's in just 3 days - not bad I reckon, especially for a pup that's been thrown into a new situation.

I've never tried clicker training before but I'm thinking I might buy a clicker and give it a go with him.

Good to hear people like the name :rofl: He isn't responding to it yet LOL but he's not responding to any name so it's okay - we'll get there.

I'm exhausted btw - :laugh: WHy did I do this again? hee hee

Oh ! he's there ! :laugh: Last time I popped in- the people had not responded.....

Sounds interesting!! Danger Dog! :love:

Dylan 's a good name ..... hopefully the others see that he's just a pain, not a danger ....

Hey persephone LOL It feels like he's been here for weeks!!! :rofl:

Yeah - I think Dylan is a good strong name :rofl:

I think Tango sees him as a PITA :love: but Pepper is a bit worried by him I suspect - she was accidentally injured by an over-enthusiastic 12 mth old dog once. He was just playing and she was playing too but he hurled himself at her and broke her rib. I suspect she's worried this fella will do the same so she gets nervous when he rushes her. I'm quite surprised at how full on her response is - I've had to call her off a couple of times. She gets him on the ground and wont let him back up.

I don't know if I should be overly worried about it - but she hasn't actually hurt him at this point. Just scared him (and me LOL)

Guest belgian.blue
Yeah - I think Dylan is a good strong name :laugh:

I think Tango sees him as a PITA :rofl: but Pepper is a bit worried by him I suspect - she was accidentally injured by an over-enthusiastic 12 mth old dog once. He was just playing and she was playing too but he hurled himself at her and broke her rib. I suspect she's worried this fella will do the same so she gets nervous when he rushes her. I'm quite surprised at how full on her response is - I've had to call her off a couple of times. She gets him on the ground and wont let him back up.

I don't know if I should be overly worried about it - but she hasn't actually hurt him at this point. Just scared him (and me LOL)

Ivy does this to Badger and I take it as Ivy just putting an excited puppy in his place. She will throw Badg to the ground when he gets too annoying.

I agree on Dylan, suits him.

Ah now Baxter - wouldnt that be like making him part of the family :o

BTW Guess who is playing tug and "chase me coz I've got the squeaky toy" with Dylan.........

Well you have named him already lol ;)

Guess who..? - Tango?

You get first prize!!! I am stunned at what's going on around here. I can't get any work done LMAO but these dogs are truly amazing.

Tango sends mixed signals unfortunately but he is constantly looking for Dylan and grabbing his leg while snarling at him, barking in his face, hurling a piece of material around and running away with it or chasing Dylan down the corridor. Then I looked out the back and they had one end of a dog towel each playing tug with Tango dragging the pup down the back steps hahahahahahaha Then Dylan found a dog toy and Tango grabbed it off him so the pup latched on to one end of it. tango snarled and carried on but his tail was wagging and the two of them disappeared out the back door with the toy between them.

He is currently "talking" to the pup with this wierd sound - a cross between a bark and whine. I DO wish Tango would shut up!!!

Pepper meanwhile is generally staying out of the way of the lunatics. But I did have all three dogs simultaneously leap up on the bed first thing this morning to wake me up. None of them seemed the least bit concerned about the others. Tango barked in my face and playfully grabbed my hand with his teeth (he's NEVER done that before hahahaha) while Pepper wagged her tail and moaned and tried to snuggle under the quilt and the pup just kept leaping about randomly on everyone until I couldn't stand it anymore and got out of bed. I think I have multiple bruises on my stomach!!!

They're all nuts.