Should I Or Shouldn't I? Any Thoughts Appreciated.

spottychick

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you like it anyway.
Sure did :):rofl: . So funny, with Dylan going under the bed all the time. He is nearly as tall as Pepper.

He goes under that bed everytime I open the door now hahahaha

I'm going to clear the room out and let him and Pepper have it as their "play" room. That way Tango and I can get some peace every once in a while. I'll leave the bed tho - of course!! :( There's just too many things he can grab that he shouldn't have in there. He did that with one of my account books today and raced under the bed with it when I told him to drop it hahahaha. I grabbed his back skin and pulled him out before he got all the way under - with book still in mouth which he dropped in surprise when he emerged :rofl:

I love his camera licks hee hee

That vid just screams "foster failure" to me... hahaha!

Simply stunning pack you have there, and all are doing so well...

T.

He is ment to be a "foster"?! :):rofl: lol Sorry SC but I have to agree on the foster failure bit.

I honestly have no idea what the photo is about, I tried "dalmation in a tutu", "dalmation in a dress"..came up with nothing so typed in "pink dalmation" and got this on the first hit, lol way too much time on my hands when the kids were napping.

I think the puppy play room is a great idea, Dylan certainly loves hiding and pepper looks so pleased with having the bed all to herself.

Edited by julzjc

That vid just screams "foster failure" to me... hahaha!

Simply stunning pack you have there, and all are doing so well...

T.

He is ment to be a "foster"?! :):rofl: lol Sorry SC but I have to agree on the foster failure bit.

I honestly have no idea what the photo is about, I tried "dalmation in a tutu", "dalmation in a dress"..came up with nothing so typed in "pink dalmation" and got this on the first hit, lol way too much time on my hands when the kids were napping.

I think the puppy play room is a great idea, Dylan certainly loves hiding and pepper looks so pleased with having the bed all to herself.

LOL So far he is doing okay with Tango which was my main concern. I wonder if given we now know Dylan is 8 or more months old, this means they are unlikely to fight at all.....

Gee - well you'd think there'd be lots of pics of dallys in tutus wouldnt you :rofl:

I'm seriously starting to wonder if I've got myself some kind of freaky alien dog here.

He just seems to learn so ridiculously quickly - and it's not like I've been training him much. I've been a bit busy and have been neglecting his training really.

So this morning I decided to rectify that and I got him into the "play room" without the other dogs around. We ran through a few things hes done before.

My biggest challenge with Dylan is to stop him doing things BEFORE I've asked him to. So he ran through his repertoire while I waited for him to stop it (look I'm sitting, yay..... er.....no? how bout this then - shake? See how cute I am waving my paw at you......oh wait mebbe you want me to drop!!! ...Nope.... touch your hand?? How bout I try drop again - look I'll make it dramatic!!!!)

Finally he just sits and looks at me. LOL THEN I ask him to do something and he does exactly what I ask every time.

So today I wanted to go back to basics and follow something someone on here suggested. So we were doing something called "doggy zen". Difficult for Dylan because I don't want much from him and he always seems to want to DO something. But within about 2 minutes he's got it down pat. I try to challenge him. I put the treat on a table. He just looks at it and waits for me to tell him what to do. He has already got it that he can't have stuff until I tell him.

So that's all very boring and I decide to step it up. I get him targetting my hand which he had a go at once ages ago and he gets settled on that in a minute or so. Then I bring in a fob watch and just put it on the floor near him. After a little uncertainty - running through the old rep etc he looks at the watch - I treat him. Second time he touches the watch. Treat. A couple more times and he is consistently touching the watch. I give it a name "Watch" (der I'm so creative LMAO) and say watch - he touches the watch. I move it further away and say "watch". He gets up, finds the watch and touches it. A couple more times and I intro a hand signal. (I touch my finger to my wrist) and say watch. He instantly touches the watch only now instead of touching it with his nose he's pouncing on it. HAhahahaha A couple more times then I decide to stop him pouncing and try to challenge him (coz this is ridiculously easy and he looks like he's a bit bored).

I put the watch on the couch. I touch my wrist and say watch. He looks at me ..... Doesnt get it. Somehow moving the watch off the floor he seems to lose track of it and the point of the word. I move it back to the floor and do it again. Instant target. Move it to couch while his nose is near it. Say Watch! He touches it on the couch. Repeat.

Anyway - a few more tries later I have him over the other side of the room. I can say "watch" or "where's the Watch" and he finds it. Occassionally he gets excited and picks it up for a sec. THIS IS GOOD! I can use that later!!!

I grab a treat and give him no signal at all. He is now going through his rep with "watch" also added. Hahahahaha

Then I bring Tango in and put DYlan out. I give Tango some one on one training (he still hasnt got drop yet LOL but he tries real hard). Then all three come in and I give different signals. Sit - all of them. Drop - Dylan and a bit Tango. Shake - Dylan. Then with all that distraction going on around him, I say watch to Dylan and tap my wrist. Dylan happens to be sitting on top of the watch so he cant find it ROFL but he looks around the floor and then runs over to the couch and touches where the watch USED to be last time we did this training. hahahahah I treat him anyway, wait for him to move away, say 'Watch' again and he looks around and finds it on the floor and touches it!!

I am stunned. That really was no more than 15 - 20 minutes of training to get him to that point. Is this normal????

Then the piese de resistance (SP???)

I take all the dogs out for a walk. An hour or so later we come home and I grab a treat, stand in the loungeroom and say "Watch" and tap my wrist. Dylan sits, drops, waves foot around etc. I wait. I do something else. I get his attention again and give him the "Watch" signals. DYlan stares at me for a sec then LOOKS AROUND and goes into the play room and finds the damn watch!!!!

I'm starting to wonder if this boy needs someone better than me to train him. He really is astoundingly quick.

What next......????

You may just have found yourself that, up until now, elusive creature, THE PERFECT DOG :):) .

My thoughts come from an extremely low base of knowledge with regard to training dogs to DO things, but at this stage, I wouldn't go down the pathway of, OMG he is too good for me and needs someone to teach him a thousand and one circus tricks. The main thing for now is that Dylan is one happy happy boy with two playmates and a loving caring owner.

I would imagine those walks you go on with all the dogs would make him far happier that spending time in a ring weaving in and out of poles or any of the other tricks.

Hey mm - I know what you mean. But I'm not teaching him stuff for the sake of it. I don't normally do this sort of stuff LOL I usually train them with the basics and as long as they're well behaved that's it. But Tango needs confidence work and I've discovered how teaching him things is improving his confidence and awareness.

As for Dylan - he just seems to WANT more. You know, it's a bit like suddenly finding yourself with a gifted child LOL He follows me around and stares at me all the time. He will sit quietly near me wherever I am and half the time I don't realise he's there until I look in his direction and then he'll start doing tricks at me. LMAO

So I want to keep him stimulated and figure I might as well tap into all that smartness and enthusiasm while I can. I just meant I reckon an experienced trainer would have him doing all sorts of fab things by now - I don't need to do that but I just want to keep him learning things - just a little unsure what to teach him hahahahahaa

He's just brilliant off lead. I let him out of the car at the takeaway today - off lead. He just waited outside very patiently. Then hopped back in the car when I asked him to. He did try to follow some young girls who walked past but came back when I called him. Little tart.

Hi Spottychick - I've just read all your posts about Dylan and would just like to make a few comments. Firstly, he's a very pretty dog and I'm so glad he's found a home for you, it's almost too perfect to be true. :o Secondly, I was thinking that the owners who sold him would have known how old he was, but most likely put his age down low knowing that a younger dog would be a lot easier to sell than an older dog. And lastly, regarding him going under the bed, as cute as that is (love the video) I wouldn't be suprised if he's doing that as a comfort thing. Our female Field Spaniel did that all the time when we first got her and now does it only when there is a stranger in the house who she's not sure of - but is coming out more and more now.

I think it's great that you are using his brain so much, he sounds like the perfect dog for tricks, etc. Can't wait to see a video of his latest trick.

Hi Spottychick - I've just read all your posts about Dylan and would just like to make a few comments. Firstly, he's a very pretty dog and I'm so glad he's found a home for you, it's almost too perfect to be true. :o Secondly, I was thinking that the owners who sold him would have known how old he was, but most likely put his age down low knowing that a younger dog would be a lot easier to sell than an older dog. And lastly, regarding him going under the bed, as cute as that is (love the video) I wouldn't be suprised if he's doing that as a comfort thing. Our female Field Spaniel did that all the time when we first got her and now does it only when there is a stranger in the house who she's not sure of - but is coming out more and more now.

I think it's great that you are using his brain so much, he sounds like the perfect dog for tricks, etc. Can't wait to see a video of his latest trick.

Hey poochmad!! Thanks for those great comments :rofl: He does have a good home now - I'm a total dog slave. hahahaha I think you're right re the previous owners!

I'm so glad he's not still stuck with them because with his smarts he would have gone slowly insane in that little back yard and probably ended up with all sorts of problems.

Hmmmmmm. I don't think him going under the bed is a comfort thing tho LOL If you saw him doing it all the time you'd know what I mean. He is definitely having fun and playing a game. He has started doing it to other bits of furniture now - I think he'd love to have a tunnel because he'll go from one to the other. He is just about the most sassy dog I've ever met so I don't think he's looking for comfort. He'll actually do it most often when everything's all quiet and he's bored hahahahaha

Thinking about it he doesnt do it when he's unsure - he'll run to me when he feels insecure which is probably good. He also barks at anything he doesnt like the look of (but runs back to me!!). He was going off at some innocent calves today. Poor wee things.

BUT he has now realised that he can tease Tango and then escape under there and Tango wont get him. Tango follows and looks at the bottom of the bed barking etc so Dylan peeks out from under the bed and bashes him in the face like a cat would, then darts back under hahahahahahaha

I swear that dog has a sense of humour.

Maybe you could set up some poles for weaving in the back yard, and possibly over a bit of time, add something new, like a tunnel, or jump... I reckon you and Dylan might have some fun trying some of the agility stuff...

Oh - and "roll over" is a bugger of a trick to teach - try that one... or teach him to go get the paper or your slippers... lol!

T.

Hi Spottychick - I've just read all your posts about Dylan and would just like to make a few comments. Firstly, he's a very pretty dog and I'm so glad he's found a home for you, it's almost too perfect to be true. :mad Secondly, I was thinking that the owners who sold him would have known how old he was, but most likely put his age down low knowing that a younger dog would be a lot easier to sell than an older dog. And lastly, regarding him going under the bed, as cute as that is (love the video) I wouldn't be suprised if he's doing that as a comfort thing. Our female Field Spaniel did that all the time when we first got her and now does it only when there is a stranger in the house who she's not sure of - but is coming out more and more now.

Hey poochmad!! Thanks for those great comments :madHe does have a good home now - I'm a total dog slave. hahahaha I think you're right re the previous owners!

I'm so glad he's not still stuck with them because with his smarts he would have gone slowly insane in that little back yard and probably ended up with all sorts of problems.

Hmmmmmm. I don't think him going under the bed is a comfort thing tho LOL If you saw him doing it all the time you'd know what I mean. He is definitely having fun and playing a game. He has started doing it to other bits of furniture now - I think he'd love to have a tunnel because he'll go from one to the other. He is just about the most sassy dog I've ever met so I don't think he's looking for comfort. He'll actually do it most often when everything's all quiet and he's bored hahahahaha

Thinking about it he doesnt do it when he's unsure - he'll run to me when he feels insecure which is probably good. He also barks at anything he doesnt like the look of (but runs back to me!!). He was going off at some innocent calves today. Poor wee things.

BUT he has now realised that he can tease Tango and then escape under there and Tango wont get him. Tango follows and looks at the bottom of the bed barking etc so Dylan peeks out from under the bed and bashes him in the face like a cat would, then darts back under hahahahahahaha

I swear that dog has a sense of humour.

So great to hear that Spottychick, so when are you going to add that third ticker???? :banghead::banghead::cheer::eek:

WOW, what a clever pup you have there :banghead:

He reminds me of the dogs out of the Dean Knootz books (its always a goldie) And how intelligent they are and how they can almost talk :banghead:

He is in his element with you and your pack by the sounds and is thanking you. :cheer: