Canine Good Citizenship

W Sibs

Who would he be a service dog for?

I don't know! :laugh:

I have to admit that I haven't thought about it that far ahead or seriously looked into it... :laugh:

Just want to get through this course first :laugh:

Edited by CW EW

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he has health issues and has limited things he can do, I doubt he could be a service dog, and don't service dogs usually live with the people they are helping?

But I'm sure he would make a great pets as therapy dog :laugh:

Diesel has this we were in the first testing in the shoalhaven :laugh: we got a cerificate and they gave us a big rosette for being in the first class it was great fun and fairly easy for obediance dogs we had 2 people turn up that had not trained in a club and they only had problems with the stranger part (one growled and the other jumped all over the guy)

If he has health issues and has limited things he can do, I doubt he could be a service dog, and don't service dogs usually live with the people they are helping?

But I'm sure he would make a great pets as therapy dog :laugh:

Ha... never thought about that with service dogs. Good points!! I'm not giving up my Charlie.

Like i said, haven't really thought far ahead about it... i like the idea of him helping people though, i think he would really like that.

He would probably make a great delta therapy dog to work in a childrens hospital- since he has been unwell - gives very sick kids something to identify with. :laugh:

This is something I would like him to do and Charlie loves kids and would get a kick out of it :laugh:

Having met Charlie, I think he would make a great therapy dog. He's a real sweetie.

But yes, service dogs live with the person they are helping. That's not to say that you couldn't train him to do some of the things service dogs do, like retrieve items, pull off socks, turn on lights (well, maybe not with his height LOL), put away laundry, etc. It's a lot of fun to teach some of these things and he could be very useful in your house! :laugh:

yup service dogs like autism, helper, hearing, mental illness dogs etc live with their owners just like a guide dog. The dog is meant to bond closely to its owner.

If he's already obedient I think you'll be fine doing the therapy dog test ASAP. All he needs to make sure he passes is the vet clearence

We have something similar to CGC at our obedience school it is called the well behaved dog program. it is a class that we have our handlers do before they actually start full obedience classes. This program is council recognized and you get a certificate and a little tag on completion.

Have you thought about having Charlie assessed to become a Delta therapy dog? Sounds like he would be great at that. I am having my girls assessed next weekend, I'm really looking forward to it.

I love the CGC program.

The Bellarine Dog Activities Group (Geelong Vic) run the class 4 times a year during the school terms. Those who are ready to be assessed are taken to a shopping centre or petshop where the club has set up many different stations like meeting a new person with a dog, sitting quitely while shoppers push trollies either in or out of the supermarket, etc., etc. Once the dogs have passed they are then able to join in either agility, tracking, flyball, tricks or whatever other class in in the offering.

Having met Charlie, I think he would make a great therapy dog. He's a real sweetie.

But yes, service dogs live with the person they are helping. That's not to say that you couldn't train him to do some of the things service dogs do, like retrieve items, pull off socks, turn on lights (well, maybe not with his height LOL), put away laundry, etc. It's a lot of fun to teach some of these things and he could be very useful in your house! :)

Well.. I've been training him to find my keys and glasses because I'm constantly losing it. He is good with the keys but we're still working on the glasses :) Emmy finds my mobile phone for me but I think cause she likes the ringtone :)

yup service dogs like autism, helper, hearing, mental illness dogs etc live with their owners just like a guide dog. The dog is meant to bond closely to its owner.

If he's already obedient I think you'll be fine doing the therapy dog test ASAP. All he needs to make sure he passes is the vet clearence

hmm.. well, I think Charlie can only be my service dog :laugh:

Sweet.. still going to do CGC and then we do the therapy test. Vets are the one who gave me an idea of doing CGC.

Other from his back/bone issues.. his health is good :D

We have something similar to CGC at our obedience school it is called the well behaved dog program. it is a class that we have our handlers do before they actually start full obedience classes. This program is council recognized and you get a certificate and a little tag on completion.

Have you thought about having Charlie assessed to become a Delta therapy dog? Sounds like he would be great at that. I am having my girls assessed next weekend, I'm really looking forward to it.

Yeah I have, but before Charlie got sick.

Now that he is getting better and stronger, I'm seriously considering it.

Good luck!!!! I'm sure your girls will do great!!

Let us know how it goes!!

I love the CGC program.

The Bellarine Dog Activities Group (Geelong Vic) run the class 4 times a year during the school terms. Those who are ready to be assessed are taken to a shopping centre or petshop where the club has set up many different stations like meeting a new person with a dog, sitting quitely while shoppers push trollies either in or out of the supermarket, etc., etc. Once the dogs have passed they are then able to join in either agility, tracking, flyball, tricks or whatever other class in in the offering.

Sweet! Thanks.

Whereabouts do you live CW EW?

Or rather, whereabouts are you doing the course?

I live in Sydney. I'm doing the course through Gladesville Vet :)

Charlie is starting classes to become a Canine Good Citizenship!!

The trainers and vets thinks that Charlie will be great for this (because he has an awesome temperament). I thought, just give it a go. I figured no harm in trying it out :) Charlie's obedience is doing really well.

I know a few people on here has a CGC dogs... are the classes hard?

Good luck my friend! I've tried since Dante was 12 months old to find someone to do the CGC with.

Delta have changed things up and now not that many Delta instructors can do the Award/test.

I contacted Delta just recently to tell them about the deliema of not many of their instructors actually even wanting to do it. They sent me the details of 1 that would help me.....an hours drive away!

Hopefully one day I'll find someone who can do it - you generally need to do a 6 week course and then the test.

Where are you doing yours?

Edited by sas

Charlie is starting classes to become a Canine Good Citizenship!!

The trainers and vets thinks that Charlie will be great for this (because he has an awesome temperament). I thought, just give it a go. I figured no harm in trying it out :) Charlie's obedience is doing really well.

I know a few people on here has a CGC dogs... are the classes hard?

Good luck my friend! I've tried since Dante was 12 months old to find someone to do the CGC with.

Delta have changed things up and now not that many Delta instructors can do the Award/test.

I contacted Delta just recently to tell them about the deliema of not many of their instructors actually even wanting to do it. They sent me the details of 1 that would help me.....an hours drive away!

Hopefully one day I'll find someone who can do it - you generally need to do a 6 week course and then the test.

Where are you doing yours?

PM you the details on where I'm doing it.

The NZ one is a bit different and is in stages, basic to gold, more like the UK system.

Basic and Bronze in NZ I think would slot in about where the one here is. My girl got Silver but Gold required a retrieve (not formal obedience type) and she said if I wanted a retriever I should've bought a Labrador :laugh:

Yeah, when I did mine with my old boy we just had one CGC, which was the lowest level. They've introduced the other levels to give regular people something to do after the CGC without having to do competitive obedience (as obedience is very, very competitive & hard to get a title in NZ).

(as obedience is very, very competitive & hard to get a title in NZ).

OT: how do you get a title in NZ for obedience?

I thought about CGC too, but we'd fail miserably where my Labs can't sit still when someone new and exciting walks past :rofl:

You need to win a class twice in order to move up a level, and you only get a title when you win into the top level (out of 5 levels). Takes a good dog and a lot of dedication!

ETA: So the only titles available in NZ obedience are TCQ (= you've won into the top class), ObCh and Ob Gr Ch. None of these are within the capabilities of most dogs & owners. There has been some talk of awarding titles at the lower levels, though nothing has come of it yet. :)

Edited by Staranais

ETA: So the only titles available in NZ obedience are TCQ (= you've won into the top class), ObCh and Ob Gr Ch. None of these are within the capabilities of most dogs & owners. There has been some talk of awarding titles at the lower levels, though nothing has come of it yet. :)

:rofl: Like the idea of Ob Gr Ch though! What does TCQ stand for?

(sorry to hijack thread, CWEW!!)