Hard Decision

Remarkabull

I just got a phone call from my sister and she informed me that after discussing it with her husband they would be willing to take one of my dogs (Odie - JRT X Chi).

It was a bit out of the blue as although it has been discussed in the past (due to uncertainty in our ability to find a rental that will allow 5 dogs) it was moot point in the end as OH joined the Army and we live in Defence housing and they don't have a problem with it and neither do our neighbours (here).

Having said that, we will be moving to Darwin in the next month or so and I know that the council in Darwin has a 2 dog, 2 cat per household rule. You can apply to have more than that but have to state the reasons why and they then check with your neighbours and check the yard and fencing etc.

In all honesty, it would probably be the best thing to do as with 5 dogs (and 2 kids, and I will be looking for work when we get to Darwin) I am stretched to give them all the time they require (and Odie is the most active). My sister has a 13 year old Boxer who is not in the best health and will probably not live another year, but has always taken great care of her dogs and they are a part of the family and he will be allowed inside as he wishes and will have her 2 sons (8 & 10) to play with. They both work (sister only works 4 days a week) but otherwise spend alot of time at home and love to go to the beach and for walks etc.

In every way it would be the right thing to do, but I am finding it very hard to give the go ahead as I really love this little dog. He is such a special little guy and I would miss him terribly. I am crying just typing this because I feel so bad that I am even considering giving him up. I feel like a terrible owner, but I also feel selfish to want to keep him when it would be better for him to go.

What would you all do in this situation?

If he is going to your sister and she is a great dog owners- than that is the best situation for all involved. Is she able to give him more attention and exercise than you currently can?

And I guess you will still be able to see him sometimes, if you ever visit her.

I think I would try and do what was best for the dog and to me it sounds like moving in with your sister might be better?

If Odie is going to a home that is better than you can provide (and by the sounds of it, he would be), I cannot see the problem whatsoever.

Of course it will be hard for you, but he is in the family still so you can visit and you needn't worry for his future.

Edit, wording wasn't the best.

Edited by Emm

I have four dogs and thought I would have to face a similar situation becasue of the two dog council rule. We had an offer from some friends to take our Jack Russell, he would have gone to a FANTASTIC dog home.

Before I did that I applied to keep four dogs at my current address, which involved a home visit and contacting all my neighbors.

I got my permit and my dogs will all live happy ever after.

Your sister sounds like a great home but I would try and get a permit to keep them all together. The only risk you run is that they might make you re home three of the dogs.

Not an easy decision, sending you a big hug :laugh:

The most important thing to consider when looking at this sort of situation is what is best for the dog.

Will have the same level of care or better?

Will he have the same or more time spent with him?

If the answer to these is yes then I think you have your answer. Yes it is going to hurt, but I don't for a minute think that you are being a terrible owner.

I have rehomed my inlaws dog after we had him for 6 months. The main consideration in it was that he did not have the level of attention he was used to and he was living with two other dogs and wasn't happy. We found him the right home, I still see him from time to time and he is having a great time and is very much loved. It was a better home for him than what I could offer him at that time.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have just taken Odie and Acheron for a big walk and had a good think about it and at this stage I am leaning towards letting my sister have him.

All of my dogs get alot of love from our family and are a huge part of our lives. I just feel like I have bitten off more than I can chew atm and with one less I would be able to spend more time with the others and give them the kind of attention they deserve.

It is a great home for a dog (my whole family are huge dog lovers), they would spend alot of quality time with him and during the times he would be alone he would probably just sleep or potter around the yard and amuse himself (they have a 2 acre block). They are finacially stable and own their own home, so the cost of keeping him would not be an issue for them nor would any surprise vet costs etc. He would get a huge amount of attention and play time with their sons (who funnily enough are not really interested in their Boxer, but LOVE my small dogs).

I wouldn't get to see him much (they live in NSW) but I know for certain the kind of love and care he would receive and that definately makes it easier to bare.

Still a very sad decision for me to make but all in all I think it's probably the right one.

I feel for you dobesrock :thumbsup: Having re-homed 2 of mine before moving over here, it is indeed a heartbreaking process BUT they went to great homes and it sounds like your little Odie would be too :thumbsup: If for some awful reason you are not allowed more than 2 dogs in Darwin, then you will at least know one of them has already gone to a good home and is hopefully settled :)

Personally I could never give one of my dogs up it would break my heart, so I can understand how you must be feeling!

I see no problem though rehoming Odie as it sounds like he would be going to a great home and if he is with your sister at least you can still see him and check up on how he's going!

Good luck with your decision :thumbsup:

I would send Odie to 'play' for a couple of days or a weekend, it will hopefully give you an insight on whether Odie will settle there and if you can handle not having him in the backyard when you spend time with your other dogs.

Without having to make the decision of either stay or go- let him visit there, let the kids 'babysit' him for you and see how it goes

I would send Odie to 'play' for a couple of days or a weekend, it will hopefully give you an insight on whether Odie will settle there and if you can handle not having him in the backyard when you spend time with your other dogs.

Without having to make the decision of either stay or go- let him visit there, let the kids 'babysit' him for you and see how it goes

The problem with that is that I now live in VIC and will be moving to Darwin soon. My sister lives in NSW. Odie has been to her house before, we have stayed there a number of times prior to us moving and he has fit in there very well. He is a very easy going dog and loves everyone and everything. Whenever we have been together (our families) her boys spend the whole time playing with Odie, and he loves every minute of it. He is very ball focused and is happiest when someone is either throwing his ball for him or chasing him to get it.

At the moment we have decided to take all of the dogs with us when we move and see what happens. If we need to re-home any of them then at least we know that Odie has a great home to go to if it is needed.

Thanks for all the support guys, it's been a tough few days even just contemplating giving up one of the 'pack' but at least the option is better than sending him to live with someone I don't know and won't be able to keep tabs on!