What Is She!? And Whats Wrong With Her Skin?

Megs

Hhhhhmmmm.

I STILL don't think the OP dog is a hairless x. I think it is pure daxxy with a skin condition that shouldn't be ignored. Not that it is being ignored. But I think more tests (skin and blood) are required.

Just MO, of course :(.

I think this calls for a Xena fundraiser! :cry:

I have $10 that says she's a crestie x dachi and she has a staph infection. Are you in with your theory Erny? Anyone else want in?

Just add your theory, whoever is spot on wins, all other money goes to Xena's vet bills :(

Hope that's okay Megs :D

:o

Awesome idea!

Pity I have NFI, so I can't bet. :(

Just make something up then noisymina! :hug:

It took me a while to work out what NFI was, I thought oh you poor thing you can't bet because NFI must be a gambling addiction term or something. I didn't want you to fall off the wagon :(

Edited by yellowgirl

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skin is far too clear/clean in some places to not be a Crested mix. Definitely some sort of short, stocky dog n there though.

If it were a hairy dog with a skin problem you would not have smooth patches, the whole body would be covered in bumps and scars and the skin would look scaly, not smooth.

Staff infection is certainly a possiblility, it certainly wouldn't hurt to give a course of antibiotics. I wish I had photos of Cyrus's skin when he was going through puppy puberty, it was worse than that and it was only pimples. Found out at one point he was having a nasty reaction to a dog coat of his so I would look at environment as well, cresteds can't tolerate things like wool.

I'm avidly reading this thread on how to treat the Cresty skin cause look what arrived into my rescue today. Sid is a Cresty cross Shih tzu

Aweee.......................... :)

Do you think he would be OK with a cat in the house too?

I hope so cause I have 12 cats living here atm. :eat:

:confused: Yeh - sorry about hi-jack. All in a good cause, tho. ;)

Cool! If/when you are seeking a home for him, can you let me know? I'd like to check him out if he's looking. :sick:

And you can check me out! ;)

Hhhhhmmmm.

I STILL don't think the OP dog is a hairless x. I think it is pure daxxy with a skin condition that shouldn't be ignored. Not that it is being ignored. But I think more tests (skin and blood) are required.

Just MO, of course :crazy:.

I think this calls for a Xena fundraiser! :laugh:

I have $10 that says she's a crestie x dachi and she has a staph infection. Are you in with your theory Erny? Anyone else want in?

Just add your theory, whoever is spot on wins, all other money goes to Xena's vet bills :hug:

Hope that's okay Megs ;)

;)

Awesome idea!

Pity I have NFI, so I can't bet. :)

Just make something up then noisymina! :eek:

It took me a while to work out what NFI was, I thought oh you poor thing you can't bet because NFI must be a gambling addiction term or something. I didn't want you to fall off the wagon :)

:) :D :D

Yeh - at my age that would be fatal. :sick:

It is a Chinese Crested cross Dashy they were advertised on Gum tree a few months back, or Pet link there was a post here somewhere about them. The person was trying to palm them off as Mexican Hairless for a few thousand lol

Chinese Cresteds unfortunately have eye problems in many and can be prone to fits and heart trouble, the skin issue can be heriditary and/or diet related.

j

Ah so much advice! ;). It would be easy if i could find a vet that knew something about hairless dogs so i could do the right thing. I think the best option is to start off with the gentle stuff and a course of antibiotics and see how we go? :).

So lets start off with what i should be doing for her skin?

Start course of antibiotics encase its a staft infection, that pic yellowgirl is just to similar to ignore.

Exfolitating with glove weekly.

Warm facewasher

Yogurt

Now what should i be washing her with and how often? Pyoben, Triocil, Malaseb or oatmeal?

Skin looks pretty normal to me, get pup out in the sun to darken up those white spots.

Thanks Sharr, being wondering about those white spots!

Got your PM Megs . The clothes can take two or three weeks to get here, so I'll raid the dogs' closet and post some things off to you straight away. Banshee has a 40cm fleece coat that fits along her back but is too wide for her... should be perfect for Xena! I'll see what else I can find.

Nutrience is a good brand. I also like Eagle Pack and Nutro (not a big fan of Advance or Science Diet). Maybe include some fish oil or sardines as well to get some extra omegas in there.

Yellowgirl your a gem, thanks. Will add some sardines, im sure she wont complain :).

Hhhhhmmmm.

Just MO, of course .

Hi Erny, thanks for your concern and i want you to know that im a vet fanatic so if she got worse or i thought she was in any discomfort i would be there in a flash and wouldn't leave until it was sorted out, but for now im happy that shes showing some improvement and is otherwise healthy and happy :)

I think this calls for a Xena fundraiser!

Just add your theory, whoever is spot on wins, all other money goes to Xena's vet bills

Hope that's okay Megs

Haha thats fine yellowgirl, will be interesting to see if anyone takes on your theory :thumbsup:

I'm taking a very large overcoat with me because it's cold down here in geelong you know O.o tut tut what do you take me for

I'll give an opinion when I see her, I do reckon that skin looks CC, too smooth.

now gotta get that dog coat in the wash ... it's pink too with fwowers

Looking forward to hearing your opinion Nekhbet and im sure Xena is looking forward to that overcoat, cuddles in jackets are her favourite thing, you might not have a choice whether you take her home or not :(. Pink with fwowers sounds nice..... ;)

Megs for your patience with me partly hijacking your thread too.

Thats ok Ams, i keep going back and looking at Sid's pic, cant believe CC rescue turned him down :)

She looks completely healthy and as much as it's wrong.. I think she is gorgeous!

I see no point in having expensive blood tests done when skin scraping has shown she does NOT have either sarcoptes or demodectic mange... her skin is healthy aside from what looks to be acne (very common in Cresties)... staph infection is commonly angry looking and sore... that is NOT a sore dog.. the op has stated several times that she doesn't scratch at herself anywhere.. there is no reason to believe that she has some underlying problem... her photos indicate that she isn't patchy and shows that the hair hasn't been worn out or fallen out (not alopecia).

Perhaps money well spent would be with DNA testing to determine her heritage? (No idea how much it is though)

There you go here is the add

I actually called the person to set a few things straight! lol

naked dashound (hairless)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Dogs for Sale and Free to a Good Home ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by larras123 (wellington nsw) on 11-Mar-10 09:57 AM AEST

To reply to this advertisement email [email protected]

hi i have for sale 1 male hairless dashound pup he is the produce of a mexican hairless bitch by a male dashie has throw back to the dashie he is a mad pup with very little hair real cute also have 1 male with hair throw back to the dashie i am asking $1000 for the hairless ans $500 for the 1 with hair now as i have no computer at the moment you need to call me on 0438755422 if you are interested pups will be ready in 3 weeks thanks

Oh dear lord, that's just sad wazzat.

Don't over wash her. Once a week should be enough, or twice if her skin is not improving. Washing too much can dry out the skin and irritate it more even with medicated shampoos, while they kill the bacteria, they strip oils just like any other shampoo.

I use vasaline intensive care moisturiser after bath time, but I wouldn't recommend using a moisturiser until those bumps have cleared up, most of them can sting a little if they get into open cuts or pimples.

Once you have tried the antibiotics if she still has some bumps you can use an estringent on her skin instead of washing. I use nutrimetics toner, it's the only one I can use on my own face with zero stinging or burning on open pimples (I have very sensitive skin with acne so I'm the guinea pig) Have read that witch hazel is very good as well but haven't tried it myself.

OK well I went down with a bag full of stuff for the little pumpkin

OMG SHE's SO CUTE ... she fell asleep in my lap she's the most awesome little dog every *heartbroken*

She's got malaseb, aloveen conditioner, tea tree organic shampoo and a fresh tub of paw paw ointment. Her skin is definately CC, it's smooth, healthy but she just has a line of pimples, she has the CC teeth pattern too. I even got to squeeze a couple (see thats why I want one, to fix my urge to squeeze pimples) but it wasnt really pus it looked more like creamy blackhead, none of it is sore, angry or broken so I think it's just CC hormonal pimples mixed with lack of maintenance. She does need a good exfoliation I think :cry: The edges of her ears are dry but not flakey or broken so some cream with fix that up. Poor thing has some 'acne scars' on her skin too where no one looked after her skin before but they're not that bad.

*sigh* cutest. dog. ever.

Edited by Nekhbet

I'm avidly reading this thread on how to treat the Cresty skin cause look what arrived into my rescue today. Sid is a Cresty cross Shih tzu

Looks pure bred to me Ams. Can't see the shit zoo in it at all.0

Care for Cresty skin is just like a baby. Mine used to come into the shower with me. Much easier than hairy dogs. ;)

Umm Blab it's been a LOT of years since I was a nanny and I've never HAD a child of my own. So...

when would you like me to drop him off at your place?

:D :):cheer::cheer:

How would I break the news to OH that there was a third ummm triplet?? Just born a little later (no wonder my tummy was still fat!)

ahh thats ok ... She is cute as a button ... but if she finds a loving home thats all that matters to me ... then I can get myself a show crestie :laugh: maybe even a Xolo *cough cough* now there's a lazy groomers dream :)

I wish! Looking to get a doggy treadmill!!~But the 1 and a half hours walking the need every day takes away the time I save on grooming!!

How would I break the news to OH that there was a third ummm triplet?? Just born a little later (no wonder my tummy was still fat!)

Soooooooooooooo that's a YES. :) I will drop him off tomoz... Oh he doesn't like babies = growling at one is why he was surrendered :wink:

Edited by Ams

Aweee.......................... :laugh:

Do you think he would be OK with a cat in the house too?

I hope so cause I have 12 cats living here atm. :cry:

:) Yeh - sorry about hi-jack. All in a good cause, tho. :D

Cool! If/when you are seeking a home for him, can you let me know? I'd like to check him out if he's looking. :rofl:

And you can check me out! :D

Ams - I'm thinking you could wave Sid past Noisymina and he'll be rehomed in a snap :laugh:

thats OK Xolo I'm used to high exercises LOL OH says Xolos remind him of hairless Malinois :laugh: I just wouldnt have the hairballs following me down the hallway like a pack of demented furry minions all the time

hmmmm first Xolo to have a Sch title?