Advice

~Shepherd~

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seen lots of threads like this one before...

Anyone else cringe when they read that? I'm a card carrying member of PA. :laugh:

Oh and apparently 'his' is no longer just the possessive form, but is perfectly acceptable as an abbreviation of 'he is' - "His going to take his dog to training."

:) Probably the same place as the second A :)

:( Must be! I guess there are some words that if you just hear them said quickly all the time, you never really think about how they're spelled. Like how many people type per say instead of per se etc. I had an embarrassing experience of mispronouncing the country name Kiribati the other day. It was a bit mortifying. :laugh: Then again, I was horribly disappointed the other day when I discovered that Ouagadougou was pronounced Oh Ay Gah Doo instead of oogadoogoo the way I had always imagined. :love:

Does that make me a card carrying member of Pedants Anonymous? (You can be Chairperson, Chewbacca!)

Just remember that a card carrying member of PA would actually have to carry a card saying so at all times.

Well I think so anyway, but I'm not really offay with pedantry. :laugh:

i get really lazy when typing here. i have to be correct at work i let loose here and dont use caps or apostrophes.

i do try to spell correctly though

fun aint it

they sooooo dont understand who hvnt been there

How do you pronounce your name asal? Sometimes incorrect spelling can be a blessing :laugh:

Ive been saying it over in my tired head and I keep coming up with something inappropriate. Save me from my disturbed thoughts please :laugh:

I just want to say how much I hate these threads.

Some people have a lot of trouble spelling, I know I do, and I have been made fun of in 'real life' because of it. Coming in here and seeing everyone making comments on how other people write really gets to me.

One of my biggest hates is that I am not the best speller, it makes me feel stupid all the time in real life, and then to come on here and see these types of threads...

I know you are all just having a bit of fun, but these threads pop up all the time and they make a lot of people feel like shit because they are not perfect with their typing/spelling/grammar

If you do not like the way someone spells a word, how about putting them on ignore instead of making fun of them in a thread like this?

Oh, and I don't give a crap if any of the words above are wrong. So don't bother making fun or correcting me if they are.

Edited by Teebs

Yes, I have taken note of the comments by a few of you... and I agree. :laugh: It is poor taste, hence why I stopped. My apologies to those offended.

Oh come on now, it was about the advice advise thing, not intended to be nasty at all. They are words that pop up every single day in every forum. No different to the annoying oodle threads. Sorry you feel so sensitive about it, as hurting peoples feelings was not my intention and if you are really hurt I apologise. I suppose everyone has a different view on things.

i get really lazy when typing here. i have to be correct at work i let loose here and dont use caps or apostrophes.

fun aint it

How do you pronounce your name asal? Sometimes incorrect spelling can be a blessing :laugh:

Ive been saying it over in my tired head and I keep coming up with something inappropriate. Save me from my disturbed thoughts please :laugh:

az al

sorry

az......... as....... al...... pronounced the same as ....... as :laugh:

dont worry

ive been accused of being an ass, n many other colourful terms anyway

Edited by asal

Yes, I have taken note of the comments by a few of you... and I agree. :laugh: It is poor taste, hence why I stopped. My apologies to those offended.

Oh come on now, it was about the advice advise thing, not intended to be nasty at all. They are words that pop up every single day in every forum. No different to the annoying oodle threads. Sorry you feel so sensitive about it, as hurting peoples feelings was not my intention and if you are really hurt I apologise. I suppose everyone has a different view on things.

Psst, I was responding to Teebs who said she was offended. I wasn't offended, but I can see that the thread was offensive. When I said "taken note of the comments of a few of you" I meant pugger, steve and teebs (ie those who have expressed their dismay at the thread).

Edited by ~Anne~

Coming in here and seeing everyone making comments on how other people write really gets to me.

It's because we all got picked on for being nerds at school.

I really don't care that much that people make spelling mistakes and as I said every single one of us will make one soon, unintentionally, and hopefully we'll be able to laugh at ourselves when it happens.

If we were to put every person who makes a spelling mistake on 'ignore' there would be no-one left to talk to. On the other hand, if you really hate this sort of thread and have an emotional reaction, it would probably be kinder on yourself if you just ignored it and didn't put yourself through it.

fun aint it

az al

sorry

dont worry

sooo whatever u like is probably appropriate anyway

fun aint it

Ive been saying it over in my tired head and I keep coming up with something inappropriate. Save me from my disturbed thoughts please :D

az al

sorry

dont worry

sooo whatever u like is probably appropriate anyway

:laugh: I love names like that, leaving interpretation open to the imagination :noidea:

I am probably one of the worst offenders for spelling mistakes as I discover that just about every post I make on here has spelling errors, words missing etc. Unfortunately I only discover it when I read the post at a later stage (even though I try to proof read it when I initially write it).

It is strange as I use to be fanatical on spelling things correctly .... I guess I am used to writing emails that tend to be forgiving as they spell check for you (and correct grammar) as you go so I do not have to be as careful when you type. I sometimes wonder how my brain works, as a couple of times now I think I am typing in a particular word but when I look back, a completely different word has been typed that has no relation to what I am typing or was thinking.

Anyway, to those that may be offended, don't be .... if people have an issue with how others spell, that is their problem.