Do Dogs And Other Animals Have Souls?

Tapferhund

Catholic dogs have souls :( ...

Do dogs go to Heaven?

Quite a debate between two churches!

This is literally a 'church signs' debate, being played out in a southern town, between the Catholic church and a (fundamentalist) Presbyterian church that face each other across a street. From top to bottom you will see the response and counter-response over time.

The Catholics are displaying a much better sense of humor! You get the impression that the Presbyterians are actually taking this seriously!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

'All rocks go to Heaven' so funny :cry::worship::cry:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we as humans have souls, then I believe our dogs do.

Why would we want a companion pet if they didn't?

My dog dreams, has personality, gives me attitude, remembers people, remembers things in general, has recognition and I am pretty sure if there is a presidential campaign in the dog world, she is running for it - she has something to say!

She has a soul.

Catholic dogs have souls :D ...

Do dogs go to Heaven?

This is literally a 'church signs' debate, being played out in a southern town, between the Catholic church and a (fundamentalist) Presbyterian church that face each other across a street. From top to bottom you will see the response and counter-response over time.

The Catholics are displaying a much better sense of humor! You get the impression that the Presbyterians are actually taking this seriously!

Unfortunately its the Photoshopper that has the sense of humor, not the Catholic church :)

A soul is the light in your eyes, the love in your heart, your energy, your personality. Look into someones/dogs eyes and you will see their soul. For when they pass on, look into their eyes and you see emptiness, the soul has gone to live on.

:) I couldn't agree more ILBB and today I sadly did just that :cheer: while holding my darling 17 year old Mini Foxie, my soul mate Cricket in my arms when she died :cheer:

RIP my darling girl :D

A soul is the light in your eyes, the love in your heart, your energy, your personality. Look into someones/dogs eyes and you will see their soul. For when they pass on, look into their eyes and you see emptiness, the soul has gone to live on.

Ahh, ok.

I don't believe in anything going to live on, but can accept that many do. I think more of the physical changes that occur and that is why they look different. I also believe that the only thing that lives on is memories of those who knew the living person or animal. I guess that is why I can't see the significance, perosnally, of dog's having souls.

I feel very sad for you Anne :D

Ohh I don't know Cordelia? I think there is enough documentation to prove the existance of God and souls in animals.

Erm.. there is? :D

I guess that depends very much on what you consider to be evidence and what exactly your beliefs are. Personally, I don't believe anything has a soul but that doesn't mean things can't be valued still for what they do have. You don't have to believe in the christian god (or any god, really) to treat animals with the same respect you'd show your fellow man.

Of course, if you mean "soul" in the non-religious sense (ie, a distinct personality, the ability to feel and understand what happens around it, etc), almost every type of animal could be said to have a soul.

There are a fair few books out there on the subject ...all with dozens of wonderful stories about peoples pets and the special connections they had that still continued after their pet had died....they experiencing affirmations of their beloved pets still being around them. There are also books with many stories from people who have had near death experiences.

I also have a friend who, in her early life, died for a short time during an operation. She now says she does not fear death at all because of what she experienced at the time she 'died'

Do dogs go to Heaven?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

SecretKai,

Thanks for that. I have had a very sad day and your post has brightened me up!

:) I couldn't agree more ILBB and today I sadly did just that :cheer: while holding my darling 17 year old Mini Foxie, my soul mate Cricket in my arms when she died :cheer:

RIP my darling girl :D

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. ;)

Why?

Because she sees the things the way they are and doesn't need to make something up to make her feel better?

Needless to say I don't believe in that 'soul' thing. Believing is very strange business. Some people believe they were kidnapped by aliens, and some people actually saw Elvis at the local coner store. You can't prove they are wrong, and of course they can't prove they are right. A bit like catch 22.

But what would I know, I don't believe in so many things that make other people warm and fuzzy.

Do dogs go to Heaven?

You have to wonder why the Presbyterians are so afraid of the idea that dogs could have souls and end up in heaven.

Ahh, ok.

I don't believe in anything going to live on, but can accept that many do. I think more of the physical changes that occur and that is why they look different. I also believe that the only thing that lives on is memories of those who knew the living person or animal. I guess that is why I can't see the significance, perosnally, of dog's having souls.

Why would you feel sad for her? I really don't want to assume you feel sad for her just because she doesn't happen to believe the same thing as you do but honestly, that's how it sounds.

I believe that the "special bonds" people experience with their pets are something that happens really only for the human and there's an awful lot we project on our animals but if you believe differently, I'm not going to suggest that your beliefs are something to be pitied. That's.. really quite disrespectful (unless you did, in fact, mean something else and I've missed it entirely?).

I agree... and I do have a strong faith and belief in God.. but there are a lot of people who don't believe in miracles either.

Yes.....sad lot aren't they ! What they fail to see is life itself , all animals and this beautiful planet are miracles.

You don't need to believe in God or supernatural miracles to see the miracles of life, or to be happy.

So what is your definition of "soul"? Is it related to consciousness, or personal identity?

Snap A2. :D

Consciousness, energy.

It's something people will never agree on. If you believe there is a god/soul that goes on after death, you will feel sorry for the people who can't see this truth. If you don't believe in it, you will feel sorry for the people who have to believe in fairy tales in order to cope with life.

Either way, telling the other group you feel sorry for them is only going to make them feel patronised, since they don't pity themselves!

Felix is right that you can't definitively prove god exists, you can't definitively prove s/he doesn't. If you believe god exists, you will interpret everything you see or read as evidence for his/her existence, since you already "know" you are correct. If you don't believe god exists, you will see the flaws in the evidence, since nothing short of god personally appearing to you will be enough proof of his/her existence.

Just the same as with ESP, or faith healing, or aliens coming to earth & making crop circles. :D

This topic probably has been done before (?) but after reading a comment in another topic that dogs don't have souls and rather than commenting in that topic I thought I would start another on the subject.

I personally very much believe , that like we human animals , dogs and other animals DO have souls!!! It annoys me so much to hear people say otherwise. How would they know? Have they been dead to prove otherwise?

The mere fact dogs live , give love and so much pleasure to their owners....tells me they have just as much a soul as we do.......and I am sure there are many Dolers like myself, who, after losing a beloved dog, have experienced affirmations of some kind that their beloved dog is with them in some way.

You'd have to believe a soul actually existed in the first place - and that is a spiritual thing - a way 'some' people choose to live their lives.

There is no 'proof' that souls exist and you can't prove it either.

I don't think there's any harm in believing Souls exist though, if that is what makes you feel good about you and your relationship with your dog.

Some people need a 'safety net' of belief, others don't.

Ohh I don't know Cordelia? I think there is enough documentation to prove the existance of God and souls in animals. Proof through miracles , unusual happenings as well as affirmations etc. that have happened around the world.

Comments like that make me feel a bit uncomfortable - there is no proof either way.

Edited by sas

Ahh, ok.

I feel very sad for you Anne :laugh:

Tapferhund I understand that you are going through a very sad time (I truly feel for you :) ) with the loss of your dog yesterday but I do have to agree that this comment to Anne sounds disrespectful.

Edited by Fleuri

Beautifully put. I've always thought as the 'soul' as the life force' or 'energy'.

I have a coffee mug that states,

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -R. B. Cunningham Graham

I feel that way about most of the 'furries' on this planet.

ps. I am not 'religious' but do believe in the "devine".

Edited by LizT

:laugh: I couldn't agree more ILBB and today I sadly did just that :laugh: while holding my darling 17 year old Mini Foxie, my soul mate Cricket in my arms when she died :rofl:

RIP my darling girl :)

Oh Taps, i am so very very sorry. :cry: :D

Sending you lots of hugs

That light? that is soul

Catholic dogs have souls :) ...

Do dogs go to Heaven?

You have to wonder why the Presbyterians are so afraid of the idea that dogs could have souls and end up in heaven.

That's interesting because the "Catholic Church" that I grew up with 40+ years ago didn't believe animals had souls, it was a few kind nuns who said quietly that they did that cheered me up as a small child!

Personally, I feel that there is 'something' going on that we don't quite grasp...but it always feels just out of reach or like a faded memory....that's a feeling I've had as long as I can remember...

With regard to 'proof' of a soul or at least consciousness continuing after death, whatever you want to call it, I would suggest a book called "The Afterlife Experiments" by Gary E. Shwartz as coming very close.

Even the sceptics who have tired to question the vaildity of the experiments struggle to come up with an explanation for some (well most tbh) of the findings in this book.

Very, Very strong evidence to suggest Life after death. Anyone who has an open mind or is struggling with the concept of a soul should read this book. Anyone with a fear of dying I strongly recommend reading this book.

Of course if a person is happy believing that there is nothing 'after'. I am fine with that. Each to their own. I, personally, would struggle to live with that concept.