Puppy Frustration :(

Staffygirl88

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think a safe, secure backyard is often the best place to leave a pup if you are going out or a few hours or it can't be directly supervised for a few hours? I don't see how that is a problem. I think there is much more for the pup to do in a backyard than a crate.

Obvoiusly being left out all day and night is not on, but lots of puppies are left in the yard during working hours.

Maybe you lot should stop being nasty. Say what you like, I have a happy kid, and hope to have a happy dog when she's an adult. She is outside today, it is a beautiful day and she has cried TWICE since being outside. And poodlefan, yes she's being fed. All I can say to you guys is PATHETIC NASTY COLD-HEARTED and IGNORANT

I am ranting on here I am not yelling at my pup or abusing her thanks and I don't ever intend to. And yes I do get angry, and I'm not perfect and from what you all have said NONE of you are. Low life people who just pick at people when they're down. I'm not going to take crap from people I don't know it's just pathetic. GROW UP

You lot must think you know everything and are just so darn perfect when it comes to raising dogs. If you've got nothing nice to say then F--K OFF

Well I think a safe, secure backyard is often the best place to leave a pup if you are going out or a few hours or it can't be directly supervised for a few hours? I don't see how that is a problem. I think there is much more for the pup to do in a backyard than a crate.

Obvoiusly being left out all day and night is not on, but lots of puppies are left in the yard during working hours.

The only reason I didn't leave her outside when I went to the doctor was because there's been a few pup thefts in the area lately. And she hasn't been microchipped yet, she will be when she has her next vaccination

Staffygirl 88

No we don't know you.

I do know that you sound extremely frustrated and sad and angry.

You have kids.

You have an ill parent

You feel let down by a supposedly trustworthy breeder

You feel resentment towards the pup because it didn't come with all the good guarantees promised.

OK

As someone else said, perhaps now is not the best time for you to be copping yet another responsibility?

perhaps now is not the best time to cope with a puppy.

No disgrace there. Life happens, and often we just cannot do everything as well as expected.

If you do want to continue raising this pup - then you need much more help/support than can be found in typed words.

You and your pup will greatly benefit from a trainer working alongside you , tailoring a training style to suit you, your family and this puppy , who is going to grow into a dog who will be an ambassador for its breed .

Maybe you lot should stop being nasty. Say what you like, I have a happy kid, and hope to have a happy dog when she's an adult. She is outside today, it is a beautiful day and she has cried TWICE since being outside. And poodlefan, yes she's being fed. All I can say to you guys is PATHETIC NASTY COLD-HEARTED and IGNORANT

I am ranting on here I am not yelling at my pup or abusing her thanks and I don't ever intend to. And yes I do get angry, and I'm not perfect and from what you all have said NONE of you are. Low life people who just pick at people when they're down. I'm not going to take crap from people I don't know it's just pathetic. GROW UP

You lot must think you know everything and are just so darn perfect when it comes to raising dogs. If you've got nothing nice to say then F--K OFF

Yes, we're all so pathetic, nasty, cold-hearted and ignorant that we took the time to put forward our opinions and/or advice when YOU came here asking for it.

You've been given advice, use it to your advantage ;)

Yes, we're all so pathetic, nasty, cold-hearted and ignorant that we took the time to put forward our opinions and/or advice when YOU came here asking for it.

You've been given advice, use it to your advantage ;)

Advice and bitching are very different. Telling me to give my pup back to the breeder is not advice that's just cruel.

what is a troll ;)

Someone- usually a bored kid that comes onto forums and stirs up trouble for fun pushing peoples buttons etc to gain a reaction.

Really sad if its not.... No wonder all this BSL crap is going down. Anyone else notice basically all laws are made to protect the lowest echelons of society? People who go out and buy bill powerful bull breeds and toss em out and dont give a damn about them when it gets a little to hard. Oh and does stupid things like encouraging a little kid to mess with its food *slaps forhead*

Staffygirl 88

No we don't know you.

I do know that you sound extremely frustrated and sad and angry.

You have kids.

You have an ill parent

You feel let down by a supposedly trustworthy breeder

You feel resentment towards the pup because it didn't come with all the good guarantees promised.

OK

As someone else said, perhaps now is not the best time for you to be copping yet another responsibility?

perhaps now is not the best time to cope with a puppy.

No disgrace there. Life happens, and often we just cannot do everything as well as expected.

If you do want to continue raising this pup - then you need much more help/support than can be found in typed words.

You and your pup will greatly benefit from a trainer working alongside you , tailoring a training style to suit you, your family and this puppy , who is going to grow into a dog who will be an ambassador for its breed .

I do NOT feel resentment towards my pup. It is a shitty time to get a pup, but no time will ever be perfect I found that out when I got pregnant. Life happens and you have to deal. I'm venting on here as opposed to venting at my pup what's so bad about that?

She's outside today and from what I can see she's loving it! Playing in the sun eating the grass and weeds (it's a first rain free day since she got here)

And I do have bad days, everyone does. It doesn't mean I should send my pup back or that I'm a horrible person

Telling me to give my pup back to the breeder is not advice that's just cruel

Sorry, here I will disagree . It has been done before on teh forum, and will be again...and is certainly not done with any intent to be cruel. A frustrated angry and tired owner, with a puppy who is confused and unsure , that is cruel ;)

Sometimes new puppy owners are dealt a rough hand, and find the best , and hardest ,thing to do, is to return a pup and wait for either a more appropriate pup, or a time in their life when they are more able to cope.

I'm glad pup is enjoying outside :o I am all for pups playing outside !

I don't recall using the word horrible - I did use other words 'frustrated and sad and angry'. :cry:

Edited by persephone

Toilet training. Hah.

I adopted Gus and brought him home on 30th July. My father died about 48 hours after I brought the pup home, suddenly and unexpectedly, and I left for Ireland for four weeks, leaving the non-toilet-trained, 13 week old, flea-ridden, ringworm-riddled puppy with my husband, who is "not a dog person".

I did whatever I could to set him up to succeed while I was gone, but it's hard. He had no real bond with the pup because he's not a dog-lover - he doesn't adore dogs just for themselves, the cats are his thing. The first two weeks for him were just hell. The pup was restricted to our family bathroom with a babygate across the door so he could see out, but even crating him wouldn't have helped because he'd been so improperly confined in his first few weeks of life he was used to urinating and defecating and then having to lie in it, so he would even pee in his own bed.

The place was like a urine-stinking launderette, husband was washing dog beds three times a day and rotating them - they were hardly drying in time to be swapped over. He ended up putting the pup outside in his exasperation and just because he couldn't cope with the toilet training, and the time outdoors bought him a break from the constant laundering. I had a brainwave, got on the internet in Ireland and ordered a trampoline bed - this means if the pup wets the bathroom floor the puddle doesn't soak into the bed because the bed is clear of the floor. That immediately reduced the bed washing by 100%. That helped calm husband right down.

Proper training only really started when I got back though, because it takes dedication and persistence and the dog's my dog, not my husband's (and I can't and won't fault him for stepping up to the care of seven animals, four of which are mine, for four solid weeks). I'm back 21 days and I'm down to cleaning up one accident a day tops, and that accident happens when the dog is confined in his bathroom overnight so there may be poo or wee waiting for us some mornings, but other mornings the floor is dry and clean.

I planned out meals per day and took the advice of the users on here - my pup was a bit older so started on two meals per day with free-fed kibble, he's now down to two raw meals a day. I figured out that my pup will poo about half an hour after eating, and then again about eight or nine hours later once the food has worked its way through his system. First thing in the morning he's out in the yard for a wee and a poo if needs be. I use that time to clean up the bathroom if I need to. Then he comes in and has his breakfast and about 15 minutes of attention in the house, and then goes straight out to the yard again. Then during the day he's in and out of the house on and off depending who's home, and he can be trusted to hold his bladder for four or five hours at a stretch and he willingly does it now because he understands that he'll be allowed out to pee and poo very soon.

Scheduling the last meal four hours before bedtime, and taking up his water two hours before bedtime, made my life a lot easier initially. In the two hours between taking up his water and putting him to bed I took him out to toilet at least three, if not four times. It really made a difference.

In the evenings, he gets his dinner, then time outside for the loo; then he's in the living room with us for the evening and I go out with him on the hour, every hour, using a 'toilet' command and coming straight back indoors as soon as he toilets.

The very first time I brought him onto the living room carpet he peed on it - I had him on the lead and as soon as he squatted I made 'NAH AH AH!' noises and ferried him outdoors (he piddled his way out there but the message was very clear). He has never, not once since, peed or pooed inside the house unless it's a mistake that I have made in leaving him no other option.

The most important thing about the above is the two lessons I learned - first, my method isn't perfect (I don't get up in the night to the dog - I only sleep about six hours a night anyway but I'm used to being an on-call worker and if I set my alarm to let the dog out I'd never get back to sleep - I've had clean-ups as a result, but despite that he IS learning and it IS improving).

The second thing I learned is that I hate the puppy phase. Strike me down with lightning - adult animals are fantastic, and baby animals are gorgeous, but that stage when pups are pups and kittens are kittens - jesus WEPT it's a metric FORKTON of work!!!

And you have to do it. You have to do the work. When you're tired. When you're sick. When you're going to be late for work because you've poo to clean up. When you're just about to go out the door and one of them steps in their own crap (even kittens in a litter tray) - you HAVE to do the work. You CAN'T leave them like that for the day, you have to take off your jacket and roll up your sleeves and wrestle them into the sink and clean them up and then clean it up. You have to take a deep breath, build a bridge and get over it too, because the more stressed you are, the more the animal picks up on it and now you're being clawed and shredded trying to wash your kitten in the sink because he's picking up on your stress (thank God for pups on that front - my guy loves warm water!!)

The house will stink. The place will feel like the great ammonia laundry. You dare not have folks over to visit. If you're really lucky, there's hair everywhere too. Hair and pet dishes that have to be washed and toileted-on bedding and pet toys and you can't remember if you brushed your hair today (I have seven rescue animals but God saw fit to give me curly hair, so I'm destined to do this).

So yes, it can suck. But it will pass - do the work, and it will pass, and it will be better, and you'll have a great pet.

Toilet training. Hah.

I adopted Gus and brought him home on 30th July. My father died about 48 hours after I brought the pup home, suddenly and unexpectedly, and I left for Ireland for four weeks, leaving the non-toilet-trained, 13 week old, flea-ridden, ringworm-riddled puppy with my husband, who is "not a dog person".

I did whatever I could to set him up to succeed while I was gone, but it's hard. He had no real bond with the pup because he's not a dog-lover - he doesn't adore dogs just for themselves, the cats are his thing. The first two weeks for him were just hell. The pup was restricted to our family bathroom with a babygate across the door so he could see out, but even crating him wouldn't have helped because he'd been so improperly confined in his first few weeks of life he was used to urinating and defecating and then having to lie in it, so he would even pee in his own bed.

The place was like a urine-stinking launderette, husband was washing dog beds three times a day and rotating them - they were hardly drying in time to be swapped over. He ended up putting the pup outside in his exasperation and just because he couldn't cope with the toilet training, and the time outdoors bought him a break from the constant laundering. I had a brainwave, got on the internet in Ireland and ordered a trampoline bed - this means if the pup wets the bathroom floor the puddle doesn't soak into the bed because the bed is clear of the floor. That immediately reduced the bed washing by 100%. That helped calm husband right down.

Proper training only really started when I got back though, because it takes dedication and persistence and the dog's my dog, not my husband's (and I can't and won't fault him for stepping up to the care of seven animals, four of which are mine, for four solid weeks). I'm back 21 days and I'm down to cleaning up one accident a day tops, and that accident happens when the dog is confined in his bathroom overnight so there may be poo or wee waiting for us some mornings, but other mornings the floor is dry and clean.

I planned out meals per day and took the advice of the users on here - my pup was a bit older so started on two meals per day with free-fed kibble, he's now down to two raw meals a day. I figured out that my pup will poo about half an hour after eating, and then again about eight or nine hours later once the food has worked its way through his system. First thing in the morning he's out in the yard for a wee and a poo if needs be. I use that time to clean up the bathroom if I need to. Then he comes in and has his breakfast and about 15 minutes of attention in the house, and then goes straight out to the yard again. Then during the day he's in and out of the house on and off depending who's home, and he can be trusted to hold his bladder for four or five hours at a stretch and he willingly does it now because he understands that he'll be allowed out to pee and poo very soon.

Scheduling the last meal four hours before bedtime, and taking up his water two hours before bedtime, made my life a lot easier initially. In the two hours between taking up his water and putting him to bed I took him out to toilet at least three, if not four times. It really made a difference.

In the evenings, he gets his dinner, then time outside for the loo; then he's in the living room with us for the evening and I go out with him on the hour, every hour, using a 'toilet' command and coming straight back indoors as soon as he toilets.

The very first time I brought him onto the living room carpet he peed on it - I had him on the lead and as soon as he squatted I made 'NAH AH AH!' noises and ferried him outdoors (he piddled his way out there but the message was very clear). He has never, not once since, peed or pooed inside the house unless it's a mistake that I have made in leaving him no other option.

The most important thing about the above is the two lessons I learned - first, my method isn't perfect (I don't get up in the night to the dog - I only sleep about six hours a night anyway but I'm used to being an on-call worker and if I set my alarm to let the dog out I'd never get back to sleep - I've had clean-ups as a result, but despite that he IS learning and it IS improving).

The second thing I learned is that I hate the puppy phase. Strike me down with lightning - adult animals are fantastic, and baby animals are gorgeous, but that stage when pups are pups and kittens are kittens - jesus WEPT it's a metric FORKTON of work!!!

And you have to do it. You have to do the work. When you're tired. When you're sick. When you're going to be late for work because you've poo to clean up. When you're just about to go out the door and one of them steps in their own crap (even kittens in a litter tray) - you HAVE to do the work. You CAN'T leave them like that for the day, you have to take off your jacket and roll up your sleeves and wrestle them into the sink and clean them up and then clean it up. You have to take a deep breath, build a bridge and get over it too, because the more stressed you are, the more the animal picks up on it and now you're being clawed and shredded trying to wash your kitten in the sink because he's picking up on your stress (thank God for pups on that front - my guy loves warm water!!)

The house will stink. The place will feel like the great ammonia laundry. You dare not have folks over to visit. If you're really lucky, there's hair everywhere too. Hair and pet dishes that have to be washed and toileted-on bedding and pet toys and you can't remember if you brushed your hair today (I have seven rescue animals but God saw fit to give me curly hair, so I'm destined to do this).

So yes, it can suck. But it will pass - do the work, and it will pass, and it will be better, and you'll have a great pet.

Thank you. I want to stick it out and I also hate the puppy phase but easier to train them from babies imo. ;)

And this is not the first time.

When you're making your judgements of those responding Staffygirl, consider for a moment that you don't appear to have been reported for that charming post that it is very clear breach of forum rules. My guess is that most of us are feeling some empathy for your situation and concern for the welfare of your pup. Rather than see you booted off, I'd say most would like you to stay and get some help.

No one has sworn at you or abused you. You cannot say the same.

If you cannot control your temper sufficiently to post in accordance with the rules, log off, take a break and go pat your pup.

She's the one most of us are trying to help.

Edited by poodlefan

Jesus! What a horrible post. What is wrong with you?

People were trying to help you and this is how you behave. I am shocked. What part of Tassie are you in? Hope its not near me LOL

Poor pup.

And this is not the first time.

When you're making your judgements of those responding Staffygirl, consider for a moment that you don't appear to have been reported for that charming post that it is very clear breach of forum rules. My guess is that most of us are feeling some empathy for your situation and concern for the welfare of your pup. Rather than see you booted off, I'd say most would like you to stay and get some help.

No one has sworn at you or abused you. You cannot say the same.

If you cannot control your temper sufficiently to post in accordance with the rules, log off, take a break and go pat your pup.

She's the one most of us are trying to help.

spot on PF.

i feel sorry for a defenceless puppy when a person shows such little self control as the OP has.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Jesus! What a horrible post. What is wrong with you?

People were trying to help you and this is how you behave. I am shocked. What part of Tassie are you in? Hope its not near me LOL

Poor pup.

You and me both! ;)

Wow some of these posts from not only the op but from others are disgusting. This person came on here and windged yes she sounded very angery. But why not try to be a little more nutural then a mob attacking her. She needs help and doing what u all have make new people stop posting. I'm a little shocked at these posts. Some have been great for me even with my young pup. And I know somedays I get fustrated at him but I walk away and come back when I'm calm. The op shoulda like she has had a extremly hard time of late. I would have probly acted the same way if I got these posts at me. People do not listern when they are being attacked.

You all need to step away take a break and come back.

Wow some of these posts from not only the op but from others are disgusting. This person came on here and windged yes she sounded very angery. But why not try to be a little more nutural then a mob attacking her. She needs help and doing what u all have make new people stop posting. I'm a little shocked at these posts. Some have been great for me even with my young pup. And I know somedays I get fustrated at him but I walk away and come back when I'm calm. The op shoulda like she has had a extremly hard time of late. I would have probly acted the same way if I got these posts at me. People do not listern when they are being attacked.

You all need to step away take a break and come back.

REALLY. the op is lucky she wasnt reported for a post that was offensive.