Puppy Frustration :(

Staffygirl88

Thanks atleast someone doesn't think I'm a complete moron. I joined this forum for advice and a place to whinge but obviously if I whinge I can't handle the pup and should send it back asap. It's not my first pup but as I said it's been a really bad time and she's most likely picked up on that, hence the accidents and so forth.

I will try other methods with her food and my son (who is chewing on his shirt atm)

How much more advice would you like?! People have read your posts, assessed the situation and advised as best they could...even if they felt that the pupyp would be best returned to it's breeder.

If you want to keep the puppy then take the advice you've been given and start treating her kindly, assist her in toilet training stop using poor methods of domination that will only serve her poorly.

I'm pleased to read you will try more appropriate methods regarding food and your son ;)

Edited by Aziah

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The best constructive advice I could give the OP is for them to have a professional dog trainer come in, to show them how to deal with a puppy and educate them on dogs. If staffygirl88 really does want this dog, she has to accept that she needs to start over again, revise her expectations and start looking at the world from a different perspective.

I will give her that she has asked the questions here on DOL, but she needs to take seriously what we are telling her. Many of the people here on DOL who are replying in this thread have many years experience with a variety of breeds and temperaments, and their advice is sound - we are not being 'mean' but we are seriously concerned that what she is putting in place will lead to all sorts of problems down the track.

The OP also needs to understand that while puppies are cute and cuddly etc etc, they are lots of work and lots of responsibility. If she is not willing to take that on, then a dog- regardless of any breed or age -is not for her.

Sorry, but thats it.

Thanks for the advice and I will take what I've read here on board but it is much easier to listen to 'constructive criticism' than nastiness and bitching. I do think I have to start again because we were doing great until dad was diagnosed then I kinda fell to pieces and so did my pup.

Readysetgo is a registered staffordshire breeder. I'm very sure she knows exactly what she is talking about.

I'm sorry to be ignorant, but after owning 4 dogs how did you believe the breeder saying the 8week old pup was fully toilet trained?

He is a baby...

You will have this dog for maybe 15 years, if it is not a good time, even though you have waited 6 months, now is the time to return him and have a rethink, maybe get a pup in a few more years. Both for your sake and the pup's sake.

cheers for rethinking the food thingxxx

Edited by Monah

I left her at home in her crate for not even 4 hours yesterday, when I got home all I could smell was poo. She had done her business in her crate and had run all through it!!! She had it all over her! My house reeked and my dog and her bed was covered in crap! She had done her business before I left the house, poos and wees so I can't see why she couldn't hold on! ;)

At her age it is unlikely that she is physically able to "hold on" for 4 hours like that! Baby puppies have very limited bladder and bowel control, the length of time they can "hold on" increases as they get older, but you cannot expect a puppy to be reliably toilet trained until they are at least 6 months old.

You are angry that this poor pup has defecated in her crate, because she physically had no other choice :o Do you realise that this was probably quite a distressing experience for her? Puppies naturally want to be clean and will go out of their way to avoid urinating and defecating in their sleeping area - you will see a litter of pups, from the moment they start to walk, will remove themselves from their sleeping area to toilet. You have confined her in an area for a such a period of time that she has been forced to toilet in an area that would have caused her discomfort and distress, and you are angry about it?

Your expectations are very unrealistic.

I can tell you have a short fuse, no real knowledge of the breed you have now and unrealistic expectations of a baby pup.

Your reaction to her being covered in shit appeared to be annoyance, not guilt for leaving her too long and her having to endure that situation. If you think it stank how do you think an animal with far better sense of smell liked it. You did the equivalent of leaving a baby in a dirty nappy for hours and you blamed her for it.

Try being a little kinder to her if you're going to keep her. Channel your frustration into improving your management and educating yourself so that you can raise a happy, healthy well mannered dog.

Yes I agree. I found this a bit disturbing. It wasn't the puppy's fault. If I came home and found my pup in that state I'd be furious AT MYSELF for putting the poor thing through such a horrific experience. They HATE pooing where they sleep and she would have been exceptionally distressed by the time you let her out. I sure hope you were nice to her and reassured her etc.

Thanks atleast someone doesn't think I'm a complete moron. I joined this forum for advice and a place to whinge but obviously if I whinge I can't handle the pup and should send it back asap. It's not my first pup but as I said it's been a really bad time and she's most likely picked up on that, hence the accidents and so forth.

I will try other methods with her food and my son (who is chewing on his shirt atm)

How much more advice would you like?! People have read your posts, assessed the situation and advised as best they could...even if they felt that the pupyp would be best returned to it's breeder.

If you want to keep the puppy then take the advice you've been given and start treating her kindly, assist her in toilet training stop using poor methods of domination that will only serve her poorly.

I'm pleased to read you will try more appropriate methods regarding food and your son ;)

I asked for advice not bitching. They're very different things.

You can't tell someone to return a pup when you don't know the whole situation. Like I said, none of you know me personally. As for 'start treating her kindly' well up yours basically. She is outside today because I know that I am not in a state to deal with her right now and as bad as that is that's life, shit happens. If I need a day to deal with it I'll have that day.

I can tell you have a short fuse, no real knowledge of the breed you have now and unrealistic expectations of a baby pup.

Your reaction to her being covered in shit appeared to be annoyance, not guilt for leaving her too long and her having to endure that situation. If you think it stank how do you think an animal with far better sense of smell liked it. You did the equivalent of leaving a baby in a dirty nappy for hours and you blamed her for it.

Try being a little kinder to her if you're going to keep her. Channel your frustration into improving your management and educating yourself so that you can raise a happy, healthy well mannered dog.

Yes I agree. I found this a bit disturbing. It wasn't the puppy's fault. If I came home and found my pup in that state I'd be furious AT MYSELF for putting the poor thing through such a horrific experience. They HATE pooing where they sleep and she would have been exceptionally distressed by the time you let her out. I sure hope you were nice to her and reassured her etc.

I only left her because I couldn't take her to the doctors. And I bathed her, how's that for cruelty!

That was my whinge. I am pissed at the breeder for letting me have high expectations and for not worming the pup.

It is an Amstaff pup, and I have had 4 British Staffies so I'm familiar with the breed.

I did want to get an older dog because the puppy stage is just like having a newborwn baby. But I wanted the puppy to grow up in the presence of my son and be used to him.

And yeah the breeder is a registered breeder

And don't assume I'm uneducated, if you bothered to read the entire thread you'd see it was a shitty time to get a dog at all, but I didn't know that until I had her. If I had, I would NOT have gotten the dog at all.

Let's get this bit correct, there is no such thing as a " British Staffie". The Amstaff and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier are not one in the same in terms of type or temperament and you have no clue about either breed and what they require.

Well explain to me how they are different considering I'm so uneducated (in your opinion)

You're being quite rude saying I have 'no idea' about either breed. When I say British, I mean the smaller Staffordshire Terrier and yes they did originate in BRITAIN hence being BRITISH

It's Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the breed you currently have is an American Staffordshire Terrier. Your confusion and lack of education is apparent by being unable to refer to them by their correct names.

Apart from the size and differences in their structure, I find the Amstaff over all to be a lot softer in terms of temperament ( especially amongst the bitches ). Individuals vary within every breed, but I've found that the Amstaff pups in general require a lot more encouragement, to develop and maintain the " let's go attitude ". I've also found that the Amstaff pups are quicker to shut down and sour, by a lack of encouragement and leadership.

Coming down hard and/or showing your frustrations, is not good for any baby puppy.

You have a baby that is enthusiastic around food and that could be perhaps your most usefull training aid. Make the most of it.

Keep yours and your sons hands out of the food bowl ( play the swap game, chuck extra's into the bowl ), go back to the basics of taking the pup outside every time it wakes or every hour is necessary during the day. Pop her on lead and encourage her to toilet in the desired location and praise like hell when she gets it right.

You only get one shot at raising a happy and well adjusted puppy.

Edited by ReadySetGo

I asked for advice not bitching. They're very different things.

You can't tell someone to return a pup when you don't know the whole situation. Like I said, none of you know me personally. As for 'start treating her kindly' well up yours basically. She is outside today because I know that I am not in a state to deal with her right now and as bad as that is that's life, shit happens. If I need a day to deal with it I'll have that day.

OMG - YOU chose to get this puppy, we all have bad days but that's NO excuse to leave a very young puppy to raise itself, they need healthy boundaries and a steady guiding hand through their puppyhood...you're not providing that.

I'm leaving now, you're beyond help but I do hope that poor baby get's what she deserves AND not when you're good and ready to give it to her!

Edited by Aziah

Where is your pup and son right now? You've been on the comp for a while, been given great advice, maybe hop off the comp, grab a cuppa, and realise that people are trying to help you, the pup and hopefully prevent any future problems occurring. ;)

Every time your pup needs toileting, snap on the leash, take her outside to where you want her to go, and give her the command, praise her when she does it. Take her out every hour, and after every meal.

Don't play with her food, or let your son play/take it away. That is not on, and the people here telling you WHY it is not good practice to play with your dogs food, have lots of years breeding/training dogs. It's not being mean, it's just trying to prevent a potentially dangerous situation.

You haven't bought a soft natured little Cavalier (no offence intended to Cavs or their owners) , this is, and will grow up to be a very strong and powerful dog. Providing the right training practices from the start, will ensure that you have a trustworthy, reliable adult dog.

I only left her because I couldn't take her to the doctors. And I bathed her, how's that for cruelty!

That's not the point. Okay you needed to go out and you had to leave her in a crate longer than you'd like. That happens - occassionally.

The issue is how you reacted after the fact. Of course you bathed her LMAO You had to if she was covered in faeces.

But you seemed to be angry with her. Why? Did you yell at her? Punish her? Throw her outside after you washed her?

Or....

Did you immediately cuddle her (despite the mess on her) and tell her she's a good girl? Did you calm her down and soothe her before bathing her? Did you tell yourself you wouldn't leave her in a crate for 4 hours again until she was old enough to hold on? Did you keep her inside with you and treat her nicely so that she knew everything was all right in the world again?

That's what I'm talking about when I said I hope you were nice to her.

Readysetgo is a registered staffordshire breeder. I'm very sure she knows exactly what she is talking about.

I'm sorry to be ignorant, but after owning 4 dogs how did you believe the breeder saying the 8week old pup was fully toilet trained?

He is a baby...

You will have this dog for maybe 15 years, if it is not a good time, even though you have waited 6 months, now is the time to return him and have a rethink, maybe get a pup in a few more years. Both for your sake and the pup's sake.

cheers for rethinking the food thingxxx

Well to be fair...

(and this will make me sound like an idiot... which i guess i was for thinking it!)

I thought I would be able to toilet train my puppy within a week or two......

when in reality she hasn't been reliable until recently (so 3 months later ;)) and i still don't think she is totally trustworthy in this regard.

And I have had dogs all my life....

Like I said, none of you know me personally. As for 'start treating her kindly' well up yours basically. She is outside today because I know that I am not in a state to deal with her right now and as bad as that is that's life, shit happens. If I need a day to deal with it I'll have that day.

If you cannot supervise her that's where she should be.

Of course she'll still need to be fed.

How many "I can't deal with this today" days do you think it will take before that happy little puppy loses focus on you and finds ways to amuse herself.. you know, barking, digging, trying to get under the fence etc.

She won't learn a damn thing else by being ignored.

All jokes aside, you really need to consider if you're up to this. There's a life completely dependent on you sitting in that back yard.

If I were her breeder I'd be very worried about her.