I Am Heartbroken!

Bubitty

The exception to the above though is grass-flavoured soft serves. These are best served fresh from source of the long-legged dogs out in the paddock. The fresher, the better even if you have to follow them around and wait!

Bit like following the Mr Whippy truck really except that they don't play Greensleeves! :laugh:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put two smelly treats in cups that were turned upside down. The cups are too big for my littlies to lift up with their mouthes.

Fergus pushed the cup to the wall and tipped it over. Ate the treat. Smart boy.

Lucy struggled a bit and finally managed to lift the cup. She then picked the cup up, leaving the obvious treat on the floor, and ran - cup in mouth - to her crate. She was very upset when she looked in her precious cup and found no treat. She has repeated this a number of times :laugh:

ETA: Bubby, CW_EW - you really should get some of the Nina Ottosson puzzle range. It is great to watch how they tackle things differently.

Edited by megan_

Hehehe its so much fun isn’t it!

I have done the cup thing. Bubby is not too bad with this. After the OK Bitty will paw the cup straight away and get her treat.

Bubby only looks vague for a bit and then does eventually manage to move the cup off on his own to get his treat!

I am getting quite excited as it is nearly home time and I shall see whether he did find his pigs ear or not!

Ohh Megan, please post more about those puzzles!!! Am VERY interested!

So funny Huski...

So Kuma found out how to move the cup pretty quickly... Tipped it over with his schnoz and munched the treats.

Stepped it up a level... Stuck treats under tennis balls in a muffin tin (thanks to KoalatheBear for the tip). Kuma carefully picked up the first tennis ball and was about to take off with it, but he sensed that it was only part of the reward and came back for the treat... Repeated for the other ball. Need to up the game with a few more tennis balls!!

Edited by KumaAkita

I put two smelly treats in cups that were turned upside down. The cups are too big for my littlies to lift up with their mouthes.

Fergus pushed the cup to the wall and tipped it over. Ate the treat. Smart boy.

Lucy struggled a bit and finally managed to lift the cup. She then picked the cup up, leaving the obvious treat on the floor, and ran - cup in mouth - to her crate. She was very upset when she looked in her precious cup and found no treat. She has repeated this a number of times :laugh:

ETA: Bubby, CW_EW - you really should get some of the Nina Ottosson puzzle range. It is great to watch how they tackle things differently.

Yep, we have few of Nina Ottoson puzzle range toys. They are very very fun!!! Charlie loves it. It doesn't take him long to work out the puzzles. Takes Emmy a lot longer but that's because she gets too excited to realise to use her nose, once she figured out how to play, she gets into it :( (she usually starts off with standing on the toy and start digging for the treat ;) )

Depending on the toy Bub... I think it's big enough for GR to use their nose to push and slide things away.

Edited by CW EW

Hmmm - mine aren't as smart as I thought they'd be...

1. Treat in bowl covered by a tea towel

- Zeddy - 1st attempt: tried to eat the treat through the towel

- 2nd attempt: managed to nose under the towel and get the treat

- 3rd attempt: pulled the towel off and ate the treat - consistency repeated in 4th and 5th attempts

- Trouble - 1st attempt: took off with the towel

- 2nd attempt: somehow got the treat without moving the towel?!

- 3rd attempt: pulled the towel off and ate the treat - same for 4th and 5th attempts

2. Treat covered by plastic cup

- Zeddy - 1st attempt: looked at cup and looked at me - "where's the treat gone"

- 2nd attempt: pushed the cup around the floor until it tipped over, then ate treat

- 3rd attempt: same as second attempt - repeated on 4th and 5th attempts

- Trouble - 1st attempt: grabbed the cup and ran off with it

- 2nd attempt: grabbed the cup and then realised there was a treat on the floor - spat out cup and ate treat

- 3rd attempt: lifted cup off, ate the treat, then grabbed the cup and ran off with it - did the same on 4th and 5th attempts... grrr!

Conclusion: my girls are smart enough to eventually work out how to get food... and Trouble is just a big naughty puppy... lol!

Didn't try the tests on my foster puppy - she isn't at all food oriented...

Will have to try the blanket test one day in the yard where they can't hurt themselves by bumping into anything - but am expecting better results than the above tests... *grin*

T.

The Plastic Cup Test, Featuring Daisy

Realisation there was something edible underneath:

Instant

Time to get treat out from under cup:

Approximately three seconds

Does she get bonus points for looking inside the cup to make sure there wasn't more food still inside? :laugh:

Edited by huski

How large is the puzzle in size Megan? Will it be very small for a golden or is it big enough for them to use?

All the nina ottosson toys are fairly decently sized. The Bricks my favourite - its approx 40cm X 30cm

If you want any other measurements let me know :laugh:

Edited to add - I've had a customer with a GSD buy one and didn't have any issues with size. They are meant for all sizes, even cats.

Edited by wagsalot

We have the Brick as well, which we got from Wagsalot. :confused: (Ta!) Erik is a machine. He just loves that thing. Sometimes I use it as a reward. Kivi is our special one, but he's not bad at the Brick, either. He usually just sits there watching Erik and getting the odd treat Erik misses, or finding a quiet spot on the puzzle to work on while Erik is doing his tornado thing down the other end. It took him longer to learn, but he got there.

I recently did a similar test to the bowl-covered-with-towel test. I had bowls covered with a cardboard sheet. It was easy for them to knock it off with their noses. Both learnt first go without any help from me. We used to hide food for them and give them lots of treat dispensing toys, so they are pretty good at finding food.

Maybe Bubby just needs to be more motivated. He just wants the kisses and the lovin'. :laugh: Kivi's not as dumb as he acts. He's just got some pretty low key priorities, and he's downright lazy. You should see him nutting out ways to make new friends. He's unbelievable.

Or Bubby could be dumb. :eek: I knew someone with a Coonhound who would say her dog was not the brightest crayon in the box, but she liked that just fine because he was easy going and eays to predict. :eek:

Well he did find his ear last night so he will get his sushi! :confused:

Corvus: Bubby is just..............................Bubby! :eek:

I've come to the conclusion that he's probably not as sharp as the Bitty and I haven't helped things as I have always encouraged him to be my spoilt and mellow boofy teddy bear and will continue to do so! :laugh:

Which of the nina ottosson toys would be best for round-faced bully breeds?

They passed the treat-in-a-box test (IQ seems ok :( ) but I am concerned they may not be able to "fit" the nose into squares of the Brick.

The holes for the treats aren't very deep so you should be ok.

Theres heaps of videos on youtube of the toys too if anyones interested - helps to see size etc