Leave In Conditioner/detangler

sheena

What is the opinion on the best spray in/leave in conditioner that detangles well & leaves coat fresh but not overpowering. I find it most difficult to get the comb through my border collie's tail.Usually I wet it well & smother it with conditioner...comb out the tangles (takes for ages) then wash it all out. Within a few days it is all tangled up again & she hates me playing with her tail for too long.

Edited by sheena

What is the opinion on the best spray in/leave in conditioner that detangles well & leaves coat fresh but not overpowering. I find it most difficult to get the comb through my border collie's tail.Usually I wet it well & smother it with conditioner...comb out the tangles (takes for ages) then wash it all out. Within a few days it is all tangled up again & she hates me playing with her tail for too long.

You can try using the horse product "Showsheen" which is available here.

Everybody has a different idea of what works best, and it can depend on the dogs they have. I have products that are fabulous on one dog and a complete failure on another.

There is no one great product, just lots of people who use lots of products and think what they use is the best. :rofl:

They won't make the knots less or any easier.

look at the tools you are using.if the coat is knotting then there is either alot of dead coat there,your not brushing the the skin or regular enough or the dog has a totally crap coat & will knot no matter what.

I have very heavily coated show dogs & never use that sorta stuff just bath weekly & brush through properly & no knots

look at the tools you are using.if the coat is knotting then there is either alot of dead coat there,your not brushing the the skin or regular enough or the dog has a totally crap coat & will knot no matter what.

I have very heavily coated show dogs & never use that sorta stuff just bath weekly & brush through properly & no knots

She has a really lovely coat...it's just her tail which gets in a mess. I don't believe in bathing as often as once a week. All she needs to keep clean is the occasional swim. I comb out the dead coat on a regular basis & that's not the problem....it's her tail.

Showdog, there are products that lessen the incidents of knots. :)

I had an issue with a tendon sheath in my wrist which made brushing (and a pile of other stuff) excruciating. Spending 3.5 hours a week on one small dog was not helping. I was ready to clip off as I was brushing with my other hand it was starting to get the same symptoms. :laugh: Even though I had someone who would offer to do the dog for me every now and then, it wasn't enough to keep on top of his coat. So I found a product that kept him knot free for 3 weeks. :laugh: It gave me time to rest my wrist and let the treatments actually work.

Who would think this takes 3.5 hours when I consider 45 mins to be "normal" grooming time for the breed?

19732_221956251301_564621301_3691532_6511479_n.jpg

I didn't recommend that product as it attracts dirt, which is fine for my city dog who lives in the house and frolics on grass.

I recommended Showsheen because Anna Stromberg who worked for the world famous Grandeur kennels recommends it here .

I have been a bit reluctant to use a horse product as I am not to sure if it might be toxic to the dog when she licks her coat. Obviously this is not a problem with horses. Has anyone tried any of the Plush Puppy range :laugh: I have just bought a little bottle of Fuzz Yards Natural to try, but at $17 for 125 ml it will send me broke in no time :laugh: Mind you, I don't mind being sent broke if it works.

For my BCs as an in-between dampener I use Plush Puppy Reviveacoat - diluted to instructions. Just a light spray - but it seems to help the pin brush and the rotating tooth comb I use to go through the coat really well - including the tail - and I like the smell! On my two it doesn't seem to dull the coat at all or to attract dirt.

I will see if I can get some Plush Puppy Revivacoat or some No Nots. I think the Plush Puppy is probably only available on-line :laugh::laugh:

I just had a go at spraying her tail with water & Know Knots conditioner (not No Nots). Felt I was getting no where fast. In desperation I made up a solution of 1 cup white vinigar to 5 cups water & steeped her tail in it. Guess what ;) out came the knots with very little effort. I probably made the solution a bit strong, so I think I will go & rinse it out. :eek: We're off to the Grand Prix at Tamworth day after tomorrow, so must look our best :rofl:

Edited by sheena

I've been wanting to try a particular horse product on the dogs and this thread inspired me to go and buy some. It is called PHP Top Tails. Not cheap at $28. Got it from Horseland. Smells absolutely divine! Did a good job on the BC tails. Poppy normally carries on about tail brushing but was a good girl so less pulling was obviously happening.

I used it on my curly hair too :confused: