Ever Snuck The Dog Into A Motel?

Good lord! You are both jumping onto something that is NOT the cause of not being able to have multiple dogs at motels. I understand you may be very frustrated and this thread triggers it BUT we are often single dog owners on odd occasions (and hey, I haven't even done it yet, why am I so worried). You need to both take a deep breath... It is all too serious and frankly sneaking a little muttley into a motel overnight, once every two years is not a reason to go all crazy!

All it takes is one irresponsible dog owner with one dog to see a place ban dogs totally. Happens all too frequently I'm afraid. :cry:

Spare a thought for people with pet hair allergies who book into a room in good faith and then have to deal with the aftermath of someone sneaking their pet in.

I travel to shows with one or sometimes two dogs. When I took all my dogs to agility trials I obeyed the accommodation policy.

If you ring as many places looking for accommodation as I do and listen to owners/managers stories you'll know why Oakway and RSG are rightly pissed off. So many close their doors to pet owners because someone abused the privilege of staying somewhere that allows dogs on the premises. Plenty don't even do that now. :eek:

Nothing "fun" about being turned away time and again because someone decided their pet was special and the rules didn't apply to it.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

FF- you should read the threads where dog owners have left droppings in showers, fur all over the beds etc. These aren't isolated incidents either, and often occur at places where there is a dog show in progress!

Dog owners have definitenly contributed to the negative perception of dogs in the community. A lot of places don';t even allow dogs to stay in the car anymore - they know that people will sneak the dogs in, so a dog ban happens.

ETA: Good point re: allergies PF. My cousin books into places that don't allow dogs because he is VERY allergic. But hey, fluffy doesn't want to stay in the car, and mumma wants to stay at the nice hotel and not the hovel that allows dogs, so who cares???

Edited by megan_

YOU people are the very reason that motels, van parks, cabins and every other form of accommodation have banned dogs over the years and now even refuse to accept those of us, who would never dream of breaking not only the establishment rules or any legislation...

If you want to travel with your pet, plan your trip, book places that accept pets or set you car/trailer up to accommodate... Stop screwing it up for the rest of us

You beat me to it ReadySetGo.

It's people like you lot, that that sneak dogs into rooms that stuff it all up for those that do the right thing.

We need accommodation when we travel to shows you know.

Because of people like you, that do the wrong thing we are refused accommodation even when the dogs are in cars or the dog trailer.

If you can't accommodate your dogs while traveling don't take them. :eek::cry: :D

Good lord! You are both jumping onto something that is NOT the cause of not being able to have multiple dogs at motels. I understand you may be very frustrated and this thread triggers it BUT we are often single dog owners on odd occasions (and hey, I haven't even done it yet, why am I so worried). You need to both take a deep breath... It is all too serious and frankly sneaking a little muttley into a motel overnight, once every two years is not a reason to go all crazy!

Excuse me that is exactly the cause.

Go and ask a few Motel owners why they they won't even allow people with dog trailers to stay.

WE are the ones that know what's happening, WE are the one's looking for accommodation when we are traveling to and from to shows.

Unfortunately the Moral poliice have ruined a fun thread, missing the point because they may travel frequently to shows with multiple dogs
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that "Pet-friendly hotels stopped being pet-friendly because dogs destroyed things and messed up the place so naturally sneaking dogs in once they stopped being pet-friendly is also a reason they stopped being pet-friendly". :eek: I don't get it.. they'd ban pets regardless of people sneaking them in or not..

ETA: Good point re: allergies PF. My cousin books into places that don't allow dogs because he is VERY allergic. But hey, fluffy doesn't want to stay in the car, and mumma wants to stay at the nice hotel and not the hovel that allows dogs, so who cares???

Frankly if people obeyed the rules and made it clear that they are taking their custom (and their dogs) to places that allow them, then the market will respond.

Clandestine sneaking in of dogs doesn't help anyone.

Edited by poodlefan

I occasionally travel for weekend/double/triple shows etc with a few cresteds and have always managed to find pet friendly motels who will allow the dogs in the room, as long as they stay in their crates. I line this up when I book the accom and sure, it may take a few phone calls to different places to find someone willing to allow it but it can be done. I know for sure that if I left them in the car overnight they would be barking their heads off at any strange noises they heard and would disturb everyone. I ensure the dogs are carried into and out of the room - to and from their crates - and that all dog poo outside is ALWAYS picked up and disposed of properly. The dogs are quiet as mice in the room and there is never any mess or untidyness when we leave.

I have stayed in some great places where the people were more than happy to have us back - and I have often stopped in to Motels I haven't been to, on my travels to talk to owners directly to see if they would be agreeable to us staying in future. It's always a great idea for them to meet the dogs, see the set up we have and actually meet us at the same time! I always offer to pay more money than the nightly rate as a kind of bond to reassure the owners - but most of them don't take it. Unfortunately there are people that do the wrong thing and this has caused problems for the many people who travel to shows and rely on motel accom - I have heard some horror stories and people should be ashamed of themselves! :eek:

YOU people are the very reason that motels, van parks, cabins and every other form of accommodation have banned dogs over the years and now even refuse to accept those of us, who would never dream of breaking not only the establishment rules or any legislation...

If you want to travel with your pet, plan your trip, book places that accept pets or set you car/trailer up to accommodate... Stop screwing it up for the rest of us

It's people like you lot, that that sneak dogs into rooms that stuff it all up for those that do the right thing.

Because of people like you, that do the wrong thing we are refused accommodation even when the dogs are in cars or the dog trailer.

If you can't accommodate your dogs while traveling don't take them. :cry: :D :)

Go and ask a few Motel owners why they they won't even allow people with dog trailers to stay.

WE are the ones that know what's happening, WE are the one's looking for accommodation when we are traveling to and from to shows.

I can accomodate my single small, house-trained, indoor dog when travelling...in a motel. No one will know he is there, the room should be properly cleaned and linen changed when we leave, he sleeps in his bed on the floor...so it is easy. With a trailer full of dogs it is not so easy to be discrete and multiple dogs may make more noise (potentially) so get off your high horses. You don't seem to have any ability to think. Own your irritation with the difficulty of getting accommodation with your dogs BUT don't blame me. i am actually in the same situation as you in being discriminated against. Sorry I started this thread...should have known how DOL goes by now :eek:

YOU people are the very reason that motels, van parks, cabins and every other form of accomodation have banned dogs over the years and now even refuse to accept those of us, who would never dream of breaking not only the establishment rules or any legislation...

It is not dog owners who have created that attitude. It is a general idea that dogs/animals are unclean and will ruin the hygiene/decor. There may be a point in that... HOWEVER people have been sneaking in animals for yonks, especially with smaller, more easily handled dogs, and there is nothing to say that they are being irresponsible in deciding that their dog will not mess up the place. If you are travelling with bigger or multiple dogs it is obviously harder. But don't blame dog owners for the attitude by motel owners...a bit of a silly conclusion.

It IS actually dog owners who have created the attitude.

Ask the owners of accomodation that were previously pet friendly why they are now No Pets.......nearly all would say because owners didn't keep the place clean or the dog destroyed something.

Great too see that people think it's acceptable because their dogs are small though :eek:

The the people that are sneaking them in and out and not leaving a mark behind arn't really causing the problems, it comes back to irresponsibe dog owners.

There is only so much you can do if you break down in a town that doesn't have any motels that allow pets or the day you leave town where you thought you were dropping off a second dog to stay with another suddenly turns into moving first dog back home again with no warning.

Or a family member is sick, needs to travel for medical care and you have an 8 week old puppy at home.

No evidence left, no harm done. Its not like we are sneaking them in,letting them crap on the ground and chew on the table legs and then pretending like nothing happened.

Edited by busterlove

If you can't accommodate your dogs while traveling don't take them. :cry: :D :)

I can accomodate my single small, house-trained, indoor dog when travelling...in a motel. No one will know he is there, the room should be properly cleaned and linen changed when we leave, he sleeps in his bed on the floor...so it is easy. With a trailer full of dogs it is not so easy to be discrete and multiple dogs may make more noise (potentially) so get off your high horses. You don't seem to have any ability to think. Own your irritation with the difficulty of getting accommodation with your dogs BUT don't blame me. i am actually in the same situation as you in being discriminated against. Sorry I started this thread...should have known how DOL goes by now :eek:

No, it is caused by people like you sneaking dogs into rooms and doing the wrong thing, that has caused the problem.

I personally have never had a dog in a Motel room EVER.

Edited by oakway

I have the ability to think beyond my dog and my convenience. I make no apologies for that.

I've seen how much dog hair is left by visiting dogs at my place. Unless you gladwrap your dog to take it into the motel or keep it crated, then hair will be left behind.

I'm slightly amazed that you thought irresponsible behaviour of any kind by a dog owner is amusing or to be encouraged. :cry:

Edited by poodlefan

Poodlefan

Nothing "fun" about being turned away time and again because someone decided their pet was special and the rules didn't apply to it.

yep and when you'd like to stay in a nice motel especially in the middle of winter or summer and are forced to camp, because someone has screwed it up for you and the motel won't even accept a car with one dog or a trailer on the grounds.

some owners are still very accomodating, but those are becoming more few and far between.

ETA: sorry if we left any fluff behind LOL

Edited by ReadySetGo

Like already mentioned those who sneak them in are totally selfish & the fact you make excuses & don't see it as an issue is disgraceful .

The rules set by the establishment whether we like it or not are there to be abide by & the fact so many people here feel it is there right to abuse the generosity of these establishments is down right embarrassing

We travel for shows & we now dob in anyone whether show people or not who sneak there dogs in & ruin it for ALL people whether travelers or show people.

The facilities where we have dobbed people in have been very appreciative & still take dogs BUT the list is getting smaller & smaller where they will even take dogs in the vehicle.

Infact many of the places we use now do early morning checks to see where the dogs are & i totally support it as i have nothing to hide as i abide by the rules set out by the business.

At a circuit we do last year 3 places no longer took dogs in vehicles due to dog owners of all area;s abusing the facilities policies .

Poodlefan

yep and when you'd like to stay in a nice motel especially in the middle of winter or summer and are forced to camp, because someone has screwed it up for you and the motel won't even accept a car with one dog or a trailer on the grounds.

some owners are still very accomodating, but those are becoming more few and far between.

ETA: sorry if we left any fluff behind LOL

No Staffy or Whippet fluff noted. Its longer haired dogs I notice, especially those with white in their coats. My friends Cockers are the WORST.

I agree with the others - if you break rules like this, you are a bloody scum bag! Every time some idiot tells themselves that the rules don't apply to them and their Fluffy - they make it that much harder for all dog owners. :eek:

I can accomodate my single small, house-trained, indoor dog when travelling...in a motel. No one will know he is there, the room should be properly cleaned and linen changed when we leave, he sleeps in his bed on the floor...so it is easy.

And motels should just lump it if your dog gets a dose of the runs or vomits? Or despite it being the worlds most perfectly behaved dog, just this one time it chews a hole in the wall?

If your dog is so perfect, why don't you just explain this to the motel people and have the dog inside "legally"?

Businesses have the right to decide their own rules relating to everything that goes on within their establishment. Whether its dogs or anything else, deliberately flaunting the rules is so disrespectful. What gives people the right to do whatever they like in someone else's business- that they have worked for? I find that as much of an issue as the dog side of things.

I only have one dog and I would NEVER sneak him in somewhere where pets are not allowed. If he travels with me we find pet friendly accommodation (and there are some very nice ones we have enjoyed) that allows dogs inside. I wouldn't even stay somewhere that is pet friendly, but stipulates dogs outside only, and then sneak him in, because my dog is an inside dog. If the owners don't want dogs in their motel/holiday place then I won't stay there.

I agree with the others even though I only have one dog. People who flout the rules, walking their dogs off leash on the street ("because he is so well behaved, he won't run up to your dog/run under a car"), people letting their dogs on beaches (I'd love to but it is illegal so I don't), and people who sneak their pets into places where they shouldn't be. :eek:

They are ruining it for responsible dog owners. Want to see even more petty rules? Well keep on flouting the existing ones... :cry:

Edited by Quickasyoucan

Wonder if Paris Hilton sneaks hers in in a designer bag !!! :eek:

I personally dont travel much but if I was caught out I'd happily sleep on the side of the road with the dogs for a night or two.

I did that with the kids and they were actually legally allowed to stay in most accomodation :cry: ! I usually want to just keep driving with a nap or so in between for an hour or two, so I'm too stingy to pay for a whole night.

I agree with the others - if you break rules like this, you are a bloody scum bag! Every time some idiot tells themselves that the rules don't apply to them and their Fluffy - they make it that much harder for all dog owners. :cry:
I can accomodate my single small, house-trained, indoor dog when travelling...in a motel. No one will know he is there, the room should be properly cleaned and linen changed when we leave, he sleeps in his bed on the floor...so it is easy.

And motels should just lump it if your dog gets a dose of the runs or vomits? Or despite it being the worlds most perfectly behaved dog, just this one time it chews a hole in the wall?

If your dog is so perfect, why don't you just explain this to the motel people and have the dog inside "legally"?

I am able to clean up after my dog with minimum effort so it is as if he has not been there actually .

Funny. As an "irresponsible" owner that is being implied here, my dog doesn't get sick...no runs, no vomit. Surely if this is happening to you and is so unpredictable, you should have a look at how you are caring foir your dogs???!! Strange, all these problems :eek:

ETA: My dog is perfect.

ETAA: My dog is a small fluffy dog and is superior to bigger dogs with smooth coats that shed much more and could really be hazardous to allergy-prone, unsuspecting motel guests

Edited by Troy

Funny. As an "irresponsible" owner that is being implied here, my dog doesn't get sick...no runs, no vomit. surely of this is happening to you and is so unpredictable, you should have a look at how you are caring foir your dogs???!! Strange, all these problems :eek:

ETA: My dog is perfect.

Just keep telling yourself that.

While you're at it, why don't you think of an adjective that best describes someone who disobeys rules because it suits them and doesn't give a toss about how their behaviour affects others.

"Irresponsible" does it for me. :cry:

Edited by poodlefan