Ever Snuck The Dog Into A Motel?

My BIL used to manage a motel.

He was a dog lover and at first allowed people to have their dogs or cats in the rooms provided they were sensible and didn't cause a nuisance or hygenine problems. He kept one block totally pet-free so that people with severe allergies etc could stay without being endangered.

A few people let their dogs mark soft furnishings carpets etc. and a few left dreadful messes not cleaned up so he changed the policy to asking for a special pet deposit which was refunded after the room had been inspected. A few people went out and left their dogs barking, whining etc until all hours in their rooms, so he added another clause that said if pet was causing a nuisance it would be removed by management (went to kennels nearby).

He still had problems - someone sneaked their dog into one of his "pet-free" rooms and one guest had a very bad allergy reaction and had all fees refunded after close inspection revealed dog hair in the room.

So now absolutely no pets allowed, not even in cars, because people have proven how untrustworthy they can be and it affected his livelihood.

So at least one motel ban from a dog lover who absolutly bent over backwards to try to accomodate pet lovers.

If it was you who sneaked the dog into to a pet-free area and almost cost the next guest his life, thanks a bloody lot. You do give the rest of us a bad name.

Forgive me if I don't have patience with people who break the rules with absolutely no respect for why the rules are there in the first place and then giggle about how clever they are doing it. :rolleyes:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

you are joking FF, right? Hard to tell from the post...

Let me break it down for you.

Jim and Jane run a motel, they allow dogs on the premises, but not in the rooms. They are expected to sleep in the car.

Someone, let's call her FF, sneaks her dog into the room. Some hair falls onto the sheets.

When Jim and Jane clean the room, they see that a dog has been inside. This is the last straw for them, they have seen it many times before. So they ban dogs completely - no dogs allowed on their property at all. After all, Jim and Jane's livelihood is dependant on this motel, and they are sick of a select few patrons flouting their rules.

It is discrespectful. They have spent their working lives building up their business, but some people think they can do whatever they want because their little fluff ball is "so cute and wonderful".

How is what you're saying any different from the people who let their dogs run off lead and then say ":but Fido is so well behaved. I don't need to obey leash laws?".

It is unfortunate that there are not that many pet friendly places in Oz

I have travelled overseas recently (New York, France and Canada) and the majority of the accomm I stayed in allowed pets with a small surcharge.

These were places that had been booked without this in mind, and ranged from basic to luxurious. I felt envious when in France guest where wandering around with their lovely dogs by their sides! Wish it was more acceptable here.

you are joking FF, right? Hard to tell from the post...

Let me break it down for you.

Jim and Jane run a motel, they allow dogs on the premises, but not in the rooms. They are expected to sleep in the car.

Someone, let's call her FF, sneaks her dog into the room. Some hair falls onto the sheets.

When Jim and Jane clean the room, they see that a dog has been inside. This is the last straw for them, they have seen it many times before. So they ban dogs completely - no dogs allowed on their property at all. After all, Jim and Jane's livelihood is dependant on this motel, and they are sick of a select few patrons flouting their rules.

It is discrespectful. They have spent their working lives building up their business, but some people think they can do whatever they want because their little fluff ball is "so cute and wonderful".

How is what you're saying any different from the people who let their dogs run off lead and then say ":but Fido is so well behaved. I don't need to obey leash laws?".

Or how about:

Dick and Dora ring ahead to book a room. They advise that their baby Debbie is severly allergic to pet hair. "That's fine" Jane tells Dora, "we don't allow pets in rooms".

They get the room FF and her perfect dog used. Debbie's play blanket gets put on the carpet but she crawls off.

One ambulance call later, Debbie is treated for a severe asthma attack and Dora, noticing a few stray white hairs on the carpet collects them and advises Jim and Jane that they'll be hearing from the lawyers.

But hey, no harm done right? It was only a little dog. :rolleyes:

Edited by poodlefan

Funny. As an "irresponsible" owner that is being implied here, my dog doesn't get sick...no runs, no vomit. surely of this is happening to you and is so unpredictable, you should have a look at how you are caring foir your dogs???!! Strange, all these problems :rolleyes:

ETA: My dog is perfect.

Just keep telling yourself that.

While you're at it, why don't you think of an adjective that best describes someone who disobeys rules because it suits them and doesn't give a toss about how their behaviour affects others.

"Irresponsible" does it for me. :D

But I do care how my behaviour affects others, that's where you have made a BIG assumption. That's why I started this thread as someone who has never done this, but has realised that a lot of others do. i know my dog wouldn't mark furniture, i wouldn't leave it alone in the motel room, barking or whining... but you people have bug bears and will pick on anything and blow it up and call people scum bags....

But I do care how my behaviour affects others, that's where you have made a BIG assumption. That's why I started this thread as someone who has never done this, but has realised that a lot of others do. i know my dog wouldn't mark furniture, i wouldn't leave it alone in the motel room, barking or whining... but you people have bug bears and will pick on anything and blow it up and call people scum bags....

You've said you don't have a problem with it - you're advocating FOR the practice. Are you reading the posts from folk who've seen how this turns out for everyone?

I wouldn't do it, 2 black labs means much hair so not exactly sneaky :rolleyes:

Yep 1 black stafford x seems to be lot of hair too - must be the bit that isn't stafford eh :D

I think you need to be respectful of the people who own the places you stay in, I used to have a friend cleaned hotel rooms apparently people used to leave used condoms in the bed, defecate in the shower, and other such nasties, I always try to leave somewhere how I have found it. I even pull the beds to so at least things look tidy (even though I know they will be changed).

I guess it really depends on the way you have been brought up.

What about the motel owner that has his own dog running in and out of the rooms while they are stripping beds and cleaning it for the next lot of guests?

Should they have a notice at there desk to say that little Jack Russell is the cleaning helper?

I think you need to be respectful of the people who own the places you stay in, I used to have a friend cleaned hotel rooms apparently people used to leave used condoms in the bed, defecate in the shower, and other such nasties, I always try to leave somewhere how I have found it. I even pull the beds to so at least things look tidy (even though I know they will be changed).

Yes, I do that too believe it or not.

I wouldn't do it, because it's very rude to stay somewhere and deliberately flout their rules, and it may lead to even tighter restrictions on the next pet owner, such as not even allowing dogs that sleep in vehicles. I pay extra and stay at places that allow dogs inside, even if that means renting a house for the weekend. If I can't find such a place either the dogs don't come or I don't go.

Once with my well behaved border collie , it was a last minute stop at 8pm 1 motel had a vacancy was told by employer behind the counter that No it a against the law ( health and safety thing) but continued that he end closed up at 10pm and check out is at 10am BUT the owners will be in at 9am but if we wanted we could check out sooner if we wished , we got the hint and had no dramas

Have to admit that on the very few occasions I have stayed in paid accomodation, before I acquired my dogs, I wouldn't have objected to people having animals if allowed, but I sure as hell objected to some of the scum management allowed in. :rolleyes: The idiot next to us accidently opened his outside wardrobe door to reveal his own personal druggie garden setup, plants. lights everything. We changed places first thing the next morning.

Yes, I do that too believe it or not.

I used to clean motels and :rolleyes: some of the things human beings do is disgusting.

Like already mentioned those who sneak them in are totally selfish & the fact you make excuses & don't see it as an issue is disgraceful .

The rules set by the establishment whether we like it or not are there to be abide by & the fact so many people here feel it is there right to abuse the generosity of these establishments is down right embarrassing

We travel for shows & we now dob in anyone whether show people or not who sneak there dogs in & ruin it for ALL people whether travelers or show people.

The facilities where we have dobbed people in have been very appreciative & still take dogs BUT the list is getting smaller & smaller where they will even take dogs in the vehicle.

Infact many of the places we use now do early morning checks to see where the dogs are & i totally support it as i have nothing to hide as i abide by the rules set out by the business.

At a circuit we do last year 3 places no longer took dogs in vehicles due to dog owners of all area;s abusing the facilities policies .

:rolleyes: :D :)

Agree 100%

We've never had a problem finding decent accommodation that's pet friendly. A lot of B&B's are pet friendly too if more upmarket is something you're after.

I think anyone caught breaking the rules should be kicked out on their arse regardless of the hour.

YOU people are the very reason that motels, van parks, cabins and every other form of accomodation have banned dogs over the years and now even refuse to accept those of us, who would never dream of breaking not only the establishment rules or any legislation...

If you want to travel with your pet, plan your trip, book places that accept pets or set you car/trailer up to accommodate... Stop screwing it up for the rest of us

I don't really understand this. The places were already not pet friendly - nothing changed, these people just snuck their dogs in because they couldn't have them legitimately. The only thing that might have changed is that if there were any perceivable signs left, the motel owners may have upped their checks and vigilance. Not sure how this would affect the places that do allow pets? I've read the post several times now and I still don't get it.

I wouldn't do it, 2 black labs means much hair so not exactly sneaky :rolleyes:

Yep 1 black stafford x seems to be lot of hair too - must be the bit that isn't stafford eh :D

I guess it really depends on the way you have been brought up.

Makes me think of public toilets when you find things like blood on the seats and used pads lying around. pee everywhere. What on earth must their homes look like.

I would be absolutely mortified if I ever did something like that.

Wow this thread has certainly taken on a life of it's own :rolleyes:

I would never stay anywhere that wasn't pet friendly, if we go away the dogs always come with us and it is really hard to find a place that allows 4. So when we do go I always make sure we do the right thing and make it known to the owners of the place that we are doing so. After I got my 4th dog we went to go back to one place that we had stayed at previously with 3 and even though we had done the right thing in the past they wouldnt have us back because even though it was a pet frienldy place they had people sneaking in extra dogs and had changed thier policy to 2 dogs per cabin. I was so dissapointed as it was a fantasic park with lots of room for the dogs to run off lead.

For all the people who show thier dogs at Warrnambool dog shows and stay at the hoilday park just past the speedway (can't recall what it is called now, it used to be jubile park) I got talking to the owner at work a few weeks ago he came in to work to get some stuff to remove graffitti and I was asking him about his dog policy and he said he gets lots of show dog people who have been so excellent and he was really pleased with the way thier dogs behave and the way they conducted themselves. It's great to hear positive feedback like that from park owners!