Prospect Buyer Wants To Bring Her Dog

LizT

I have a 'potential' buyer who has stated that she wishes to bring her 8 year old Cavalier along to our place when viewing our puppy "to meet the puppy and see how they get along". They had two dogs until recently and one has passed away and the other is lonely without her.

I'm not too sure this is a good idea, personally I feel the puppy won't give an accurate response and neither will their dog. I'd have to 'hide' the dam as she certainly wouldn't like a strange dog in the house looking at her babes! :rofl:

I'm also not sure of the health risks associated with a strange dog in my house.

Help me out here please guys :thumbsup:

I would say no, not at this time, too young or not vaccinated enough, or whatever reason you want to use. If she insists later, once the pups are vaccinated and ready to go, then put the puppy in a pen out on the front lawn and let them meet through the wire there. I would not bring an adult dog into the house with babies though.

I would say no, not at this time, too young or not vaccinated enough, or whatever reason you want to use. If she insists later, once the pups are vaccinated and ready to go, then put the puppy in a pen out on the front lawn and let them meet through the wire there. I would not bring an adult dog into the house with babies though.

+1

Gosh it's a weight off your shoulders when people reassure your instincts.

I like the pen on the front lawn idea but in Melbourne it would be subject to the weather for my little Cavalier babies?

Beginning to see why some breeders keep their pups till 12 weeks of age.

I say no also.

There is a good chance that both her dog and the pup could show her what she feels is a negative reaction towards one another, normal and common when they first meet. Is this then going to put her off?

Introducing babies to adult dogs can take time and it is best done after the pup goes to it's new home.

If this woman is not aware of this, then maybe she needs some more information and to do more research.

Way too big a risk to show something that is not a true indication of how things will go.

I say no also.

There is a good chance that both her dog and the pup could show her what she feels is a negative reaction towards one another, normal and common when they first meet. Is this then going to put her off?

Introducing babies to adult dogs can take time and it is best done after the pup goes to it's new home.

If this woman is not aware of this, then maybe she needs some more information and to do more research.

Way too big a risk to show something that is not a true indication of how things will go.

That's what I thought....I think I'd better explain this to her as nicely as I can, even if she gets a pup from somewhere else she needs to reassess her 'plan'.

No from me for all the above reasons.

If this person finds your decision unreasonable and can't comply with your choices, then thats one puppy buyer you probably don't want to be dealing with long term anyway.

Liz, keep reminding yourself these are YOUR puppies, and no amount of pressure from buyers should influence your feelings and decisions. Its a scary road to go down, because you will regret the choices you made under pressure.

fifi

No from me too.

Apart from whats posted my mummies would go nuts if another adult dog was brought into the home near their babies.

They are friendly girls who are all over everyone but wouldn't be with another adult dog in here. It would just upset them all.

Thanks Guys,

I've told her 'No' (in a much longer winded way of course) it's unlikely she will even get to see the puppies as she is a recent enquiry and there are a fair few nice people who tick all my boxes ahead of her. I told her I will contact her if those ahead of her source a puppy from elsewhere, which some have done as I found out AFTER I've emailed them to touch bases with them, ask a few more questions, set up 'viewing dates' etc. and they haven't told me so the list keeps changing.

Kind of annoying that people don't tell you that they have got a puppy from someone else after they have "sold themselves" to you, so to speak, but I guess that happens all the time. :( But that's a whole other thread. :laugh:

No from me for all the above reasons.

If this person finds your decision unreasonable and can't comply with your choices, then thats one puppy buyer you probably don't want to be dealing with long term anyway.

Liz, keep reminding yourself these are YOUR puppies, and no amount of pressure from buyers should influence your feelings and decisions. Its a scary road to go down, because you will regret the choices you made under pressure.

fifi

No not ever,ridiculous idea,for all the above reasons stated,I did it once but didn't know until they arrived.

I had one 2 weeks ago, thought after 1-1/2 hours they'd never leave, paid a deposit and then emailed me & phoned 6 times in the one day to say they would like to come every day.So the pups are not ready for another 4 weeks= 12 weeks,I said this is not normal nor is it acceptable,not only for all the reasons stated but to find that much time every day for a stranger,I have found that you have to set the terms & boundaries or there are those like this one that will certainly try to take over your life.If they are offended so be it,I would gladly have returned the dep.I was not for all the right reasons have copped this.Mine never leave before 12 weeks,they need to be longer with their Mums & litter mates,buyers have them for the rest of their lives....we can only wish & hope!