Registered Breeders..

geo

Ok so i know many people on here are rego'd breeders and do all they possibly can for their breed..

However what does it take to become a reg'd breeder? as a friend of ours has gotten a prefix and registration, god knows where from as she has no fricken idea.

Basically she has a blue staffy boy, mated with her white staffy who i think looks king charles in the face.. so she mated had 8 puppies 3 died 'cause she didn't know what was going on, then sold them as papered. Oh and is now having more puppies 'cause her bitch was a good mum..!! so annoyed

Anyhow, to my point, do you have to go to shows to become a reg'd breeder? or are the shows just that, somewhere to showcase your dogs?

Or should people only be buying from AKNC breeders, do breed clubs hand out papers to breeders without AKNC membership?

The other point, if someone has many years experience, health tests their dogs but is not AKNC affiliated, does that make them a BYB just as they have no interest in shows? cause i figure there'd be a few breeders with all the papers but are essentially BYB's.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be a registered breeder, one needs to be a member of their state's canine council.

They need to send an application for a breeder's prefix. Some states require an exam, some do not.

You do not have to show to apply for a prefix.

If you are not an ANKC registered breeder, any pups bred by you can not be registered (with papers).

Thanks for that, but are there any ethical guidlines set out buy the AKNC? bseides not breeding to unregistered dogs. ie could you have the paper work but be for all intense purposes a BYB?

Edited by geo

Thanks for that, but are there any ethical guidlines set out buy the AKNC? bseides not breeding to unregistered dogs. ie could you have the paper work but be for all intense a BYB?

of course you can

In fact, there was a guy in NZ who was exactly that.

He was a Wheaton breeder and he had 135 dogs in appalling conditions, lots with mental issues.

He was just pumping out puppy after puppy after puppy from his breeding bitches.

He was also a judge on the show circuit from memory

Exactly Tiggy, having papers isn't a ticket to the moral high ground... just because you can trace the dogs lineage, or belong to the AKNC.

Responsible, ethical and people who do it for passion and not for a living are surely the only people who should be breeding dogs.

So what i'm getting at is that some people claim the "registered breeder" status and all that comes with it, along with degrading BYB, yet they themselves are nothing better than a BYB themselves.

Exactly Tiggy, having papers isn't a ticket to the moral high ground... just because you can trace the dogs lineage, or belong to the AKNC.

Responsible, ethical and people who do it for passion and not for a living are surely the only people who should be breeding dogs.

So what i'm getting at is that some people claim the "registered breeder" status and all that comes with it, along with degrading BYB, yet they themselves are nothing better than a BYB themselves.

I used to think all registered breeders were doing the right thing. Wasn't until I started doing research to buy my first pedigree dog that I discovered how many of them are just BYBers and puppy farmers with prefixes.

The ANKC is essentially a registering body.

They do have a code of ethics, but it is just that a code.

There are some people that are registered BYB's and some that work hard at what they do and do the very best they can because they are ethical.

Unfortunately some people get a bad idea of registered breeders because they have unfortunate enough to buy a puppy from an unethical registered breeder.

I hope these Staffords have had all their health testing - for starters at least.

I used to think all registered breeders were doing the right thing. Wasn't until I started doing research to buy my first pedigree dog that I discovered how many of them are just BYBers and puppy farmers with prefixes.

dont worry the way things are going, there wont be any registered breeders once the pollies and the high grounders have eliminated em all even the high grounders.

if i hear responsible, ethical once more I think ill puke

dont forget that letter gone out from the dogs nsw board is because some pesponsible, ethical's have decided to rip the thoat out of a member of the board who has worked tirelessly for decades for the breed and breeders.

but hey some think their ground is higher so set out to destroy a man who has done more for the members than the killers have probably done. but who cares they carry the responsible ethical banners... just ask em

please give it a rest for goodness sake.

judy guard thought she was responsible and ethical. where has it got her.

ruth downey knew she was responsible and ethical. look where its got her. lost and or losing everything she owns. n the list goes on

whos next? :laugh:

n whoever it is the pack will stand back and watch em torn to pieces snug in the assumption it wouldnt happen to em if they didnt deserve it.

then when its their turn n discover and ask why is this happening to me.... they will then be the ones watching the faces that show no mercy to them.

remeber that when its your turn

ruth and judy are still asking the same thing.

Edited by asal

dont worry the way things are going, there wont be any registered breeders once the pollies and the high grounders have eliminated em all even the high grounders.

dont forget that letter gone out from the dogs nsw board is because some pesponsible, ethical's have decided to rip the thoat out of a member of the board who has worked tirelessly for decades for the breed and breeders.

but hey some think their ground is higher so set out to destroy a man who has done more for the members than the killers have probably done. but who cares they carry the responsible ethical banners... just ask em

ruth downey knew she was responsible and ethical. look where its got her. lost and or losing everything she owns. n the list goes on

n whoever it is the pack will stand back and watch em torn to pieces snug in the assumption it wouldnt happen to em if they didnt deserve it.

then when its their turn n discover and ask why is this happening to me.... they will then be the ones watching the faces that show no mercy to them.

I was just making the point that having papers isn't all it's cracked up to be but for the sake of BSL it'll save your dog, as it is used to pass judgement on a dogs breed, ie if it has papers it's an amstaff but if it doesn't it's a pitbull, go figure..?!

The ANKC is essentially a registering body.

They do have a code of ethics, but it is just that a code.

There are some people that are registered BYB's and some that work hard at what they do and do the very best they can because they are ethical.

Unfortunately some people get a bad idea of registered breeders because they have unfortunate enough to buy a puppy from an unethical registered breeder.

I hope these Staffords have had all their health testing - for starters at least.

why on earth do u assume only faulty pups are born of parents belonging to unethical breeders?

ethical breeders do not have a magic radar that zero's in and prevents them purchasing any but the perfect genetic makup?

it aint possible.

there are thousands of deletrious genes yet to be dna markered.

bad luck can happen to EVERYONE. n anyone

YEP GIVE UP.

YES. have it your way IF A FAULTY PUP IS BORN IT can only mean the breeder be struck from the responsible ethical ranks...

would fix the problem faster. simply stike off every breeder who a defective pup came from.

that would even eliminate the puppy farmers. remember the shitzu x maltese with luxating patella, heart murmer and think it was 3 hernia's, robert zammit showed on tv once.

the world is not black and white

bad things do happen to good people. bad things happening to them does not prove they are bad people, sometimes i find myself wondering if the mentality of the dark ages and burning, drowning and elimination of witches is just the same just new names :laugh:

believe it or not bad people ARE in the minority although to read this forum most could be excused for not realising that

I was just making the point that having papers isn't all it's cracked up to be but for the sake of BSL it'll save your dog, as it is used to pass judgement on a dogs breed, ie if it has papers it's an amstaff but if it doesn't it's a pitbull, go figure..?!

yep, n it doesnt help when u see some advertising their male is dual registered in the good ole US of A

To be a registered breeder, one needs to be a member of their state's canine council.

They need to send an application for a breeder's prefix. Some states require an exam, some do not.

If you are not an ANKC registered breeder, any pups bred by you can not be registered (with papers).

All this time I thought all states required an exam. Which ones don't? I think it should be nationwide to require an exam.

All this time I thought all states required an exam. Which ones don't? I think it should be nationwide to require an exam.

I know that South Australia currently does not require an open exam to obtain your breeder's prefix.

I also thought Western Australia was the same, and possibly Tasmania? Any locals able to verify please?

ETA: At the moment, South Australia does not require you to register ALL puppies in a litter, or to Microchip the pups before leaving.

Unfortunatley some SA breeders are taking advantage of this and saving their pennies. :laugh: It's really only about an extra $80 per pup to do both.

Edited by Parkeyre

I noticed a "registered breeder" selling puppies on adelaide gumtree. I figured she must be "registered" with the local council ie permission from them to breed dogs on her place or similar. I phoned up SACA who said that "registered breeders" with them - would have waiting lists and would not need to advertise in internet classifieds. The SACA lady said that all puppies in a litter had to be registered too even if it was "limited register". The gumtree ad had no breeder prefix and was fuzzy about what breed the dogs were (arguably cross breeds).

A lot of people think they're getting a dog with "papers" or the parent dogs have "papers" and the "papers" turn out to be vet vaccination certificates, council rego, or something the breeder mocked up on their own computer.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

So correct me if I'm wrong.. the difference between a BYB and an ethical breeder is basically.. health testing? Is that just it? :laugh: Because I heard someone say that there are BYBers on DOL, so it can't have anything to do with a prefix.