Herding Talk Thread

Varda cracked me up - he had 20 or 30 amazing seconds when the switch went on in his brain. His eyes showed it so clearly and I thought here we go he is on now and I was ready to really start working with him. Then it went off again.

:thumbsup: I thought he was going to get it too but that was it. I don't think it helps that he's not mine or Tobster's dog - he's been having a holiday with Tobster for the last week and he really doesn't know me at all. Hopefully he had fun sniffing everything though!

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like it was a good day.

We had our first herding trial of the year yesterday - A course only as B was cancelled. Despite doing one of the worst casts I seen him do for a while - narrow and cut in at the top and a major handler stuff up before the hold pen Cole managed to score 93 in advanced A.

Great job Cole!! Sounds like the rest of it was near faultless :laugh:

We had a great day. I am exhausted. I will probably forget a breed or 2 but we had: Aussies, Beardies, Belgians (groens - I was in love with 1 of those, awesome girl!) Borders, Briards (and I loved the young boy that I worked with of these as well!), Corgis (both varieties), Collie (smooth and rough), Finnish Lapphunds, Rottweilers, Shelties. The majority of the dogs were ANKC main register although we also had a couple of working line BCs out too.

I think there are a few more people now bitten by the herding bug.

Rommy had a mixed time at the herding come and try.

Lost her confidence early on in the session (after having such a great instinct test two weeks before), but was slightly better by the end.

I think I need to go and watch some more training first before we venture out again.

eta: - tailwag - I love your photos - stunning

Edited by jr_inoz

• 2 weeks later...

I have a brag from the weekend. We had a double herding trial and despite the fact that Cole has forgotten how to cast and the B Course sheep were wild and wooley - they didn't really drive it was more a case having the dog in the right position to block the escape back to the let out area he did manage some good work. Cole managed to get 2 passes at Advanced B and 2 passes at Advanced A with a score of 96 today.

And his Jinnie did a beautiful run in Advanced A for 99 1/2 and a HIT giving her her herding championhip and Ann also got a HIT with Twist in B yesterday giving Twist her verstaile herding championship.

Edited by Janba

I have a brag from the weekend. We had a double herding trial and despite the fact that Cole has forgotten how to cast and the B Course sheep were wild and wooley - they didn't really drive it was more a case having the dog in the right position to block the escape back to the let out area he did manage some good work. Cole managed to get 2 passes at Advanced B and 2 passes at Advanced A with a score of 96 today.

And his Jinnie did a beautiful run in Advanced A for 99 1/2 and a HIT giving her her herding championhip and Ann also got a HIT with Twist in B yesterday giving Twist her verstaile herding championship.

99 1/2 is impressive on a HXA trial..

Ann and Twist also got 99 1/2 in Advanced B but she won it with Jinnie on a count back. Cole came 4th in advanced A with his 96 so the standard here is very high.

I might have to do an interstate trip to try for his HIT for his championship from A Course - it is really jhard to beat the good started dogs who regularly get 99s and 100s :rofl:

ETA Twists run in B Course was absolutely beautiful watch - she never put a foot wrong and lost the 1/2 on the fetch for a slight offline which considering how the sheep were was extremely good work.

Edited by Janba

Ann and Twist also got 99 1/2 in Advanced B but she won it with Jinnie on a count back. Cole came 4th in advanced A with his 96 so the standard here is very high.

I might have to do an interstate trip to try for his HIT for his championship from A Course - it is really jhard to beat the good started dogs who regularly get 99s and 100s :rofl:

ETA Twists run in B Course was absolutely beautiful watch - she never put a foot wrong and lost the 1/2 on the fetch for a slight offline which considering how the sheep were was extremely good work.

feel free to come to WA :p always a good weekend trailing out here!! July trial we have a south australian judge too :)

Got something approaching square flanks with Poppy today! Woooohoooooo!!!! Was very pleased with her today.

Amber on the other hand doesn't want a bar of the sheep. Don't know what is going on. A judge watched her at about 6 months old and said she would have given her a HT pass. She did get head butted by a sheep and since then she just doesn't want to do it.

Put her in with Poppy today and she did chase the sheep but it was chasing, no herding. She still herds me, the other dogs and her best doggie friend.

Any words of wisdom?

i'd let her chase to build up confidence again, and encourage any contact she has with sheep.. if the sheep head butt really put her off.. use light sheep too, you want reactive sheep..

• 2 weeks later...