Is There Anyway To Prevent The Flies Off The Dogs Food When Outside?

Sorry - I don't have that problem. Mine are fed once a day and inside. What they don't finish in ten minutes is picked up (not that there is usually anything left). If anyone is off their food I keep an eye on their temperature just in case.

Sorry - I don't have that problem. Mine are fed once a day and inside. What they don't finish in ten minutes is picked up (not that there is usually anything left). If anyone is off their food I keep an eye on their temperature just in case.

Ditto here, except they are fed twice daily instead of once.

However, sometimes I give them meaty bones to eat outside, they may rediscover them 6 months later, I suppose the flies have had a go at some stage but they have no ill effects from another chew (unless they try to bring them indoors - then there is the ill effect of instant confiscation.) :scared:

Ditto here, except they are fed twice daily instead of once.

However, sometimes I give them meaty bones to eat outside, they may rediscover them 6 months later, I suppose the flies have had a go at some stage but they have no ill effects from another chew (unless they try to bring them indoors - then there is the ill effect of instant confiscation.) :scared:

Agreed.....I can't stand the smell of 6 month old bones in the house... :eek:

I don't have that problem cause my girl is fed inside at night & it goes down real quick. She gets her RMB out side in the morning but that goes down quick too. If you leave food outside, not only will you have problems with the flys, but ants as well & they don't taste too good. What your dog doesn't eat in 10 minutes take it away or make it tastier so that it goes down quick. :scared:

Yeah another one here who feeds dogs inside and it disappears in seconds LOL. If they didn't eat it immediately I'd wrap it and put it in the fridge till next time (or later).

Bones are outside and never get a chance to accumulate flies LMAO Wouldn't matter if they did anyway :scared:

If you're leaving him food for while your at work or something I just wouldn't do that. He can eat in the morning when you're there and/or evening when you're home. A good meaty bone will keep him occupied during the day. They dont need to graze on food all day - in fact that's probably a bad idea for lots of reasons.

Some people leave kongs as a distraction - I don't like kongs because of accidents I've seen happen with them but there are alternatives that I've heard are safer

eg everlasting

or you can get him a "home alone" toy of some kind to keep him entertained.

I just wouldn't use regular food for that purpose :eek:

My dogs just entertain each other when I'm not there LOL

im sure everyone else has this problem, u just wonderin when we leave him at home outside and leave him some food is there a way to prevent the flies getting on it, or an altertantive way of feeing ie kong

thanks

tracy

Hi Tracy.

Not really - but the flies won't do so much harm. I think the bigger concern is the attraction European Wasps have to meat. I have gone outside to find my boy's bones swarming with Euro Wasps. I'd hate to think the outcome if he'd decided that he wanted to snatch at those buzzing insects!! So it bothers me. This is something you always need to be careful about with Kongs as well, as they seem to enjoy crawling in the hole to the food remnants.

im sure everyone else has this problem, u just wonderin when we leave him at home outside and leave him some food is there a way to prevent the flies getting on it, or an altertantive way of feeing ie kong

thanks

tracy

Hi Tracy.

Not really - but the flies won't do so much harm. I think the bigger concern is the attraction European Wasps have to meat. I have gone outside to find my boy's bones swarming with Euro Wasps. I'd hate to think the outcome if he'd decided that he wanted to snatch at those buzzing insects!! So it bothers me. This is something you always need to be careful about with Kongs as well, as they seem to enjoy crawling in the hole to the food remnants.

never thought of that, the vet told us to feed him 3-4 times a day, but when im at work i cant, ill have to feed him in the morning b4 work then when i get home, thanks for the advice

tracy

never thought of that, the vet told us to feed him 3-4 times a day, but when im at work i cant, ill have to feed him in the morning b4 work then when i get home, thanks for the advice

tracy

I'm fairly sure I saw/read of feeding gadget thingies that are set to a timer and will open up so that your dog can be fed at times even when you're not there. Can't remember where I saw them or where you get them from but I expect a google search will produce something.

Is it imperative that your dog have 3 - 4 meals a day? Is this for a health reason that you need to continue with for some time? If "no" to either or both of these, I don't know that I'd worry about getting the food gadget thing. If it is only a short term requirement, then perhaps popping home or paying someone you can trust to pop in to feed him at least the once during the day time would be more practical?

Once my pups come off 4 meals a day I feed breakfast, a meal as soon as I'm home from work and "supper". That seems to work OK.

If you're going to leave anything out, I suggest you make it kibble. It won't be as affected by the heat and I doubt the flies will be particularly interested in it. They are attracted to protein sources for egg laying so kibble really shouldn't be that attractive.

My dogs are always fed inside twice a day and if they don't finish what's in their bowl (which has never happened yet) it will be taken away. I never leave food around. My dogs are fed bones inside as well on their feeding mats. They are not allowed to take the bones outside. When they lose interest in the bones before it is finished, it's taken away.

Even when my dogs were younger and needed to be fed three times a day, I would lock them inside with food in treat balls.

There is a 10-15 minutes rule at my house too. Bones are also fed inside, mostly they take their bones in their crate to eat it. Once they are done with it, the bones are thrown out.

Never leave food out especially in the summer (the smell.. ewww). I feed my 2 raw... so it's not a good idea to leave raw food out anyway.