Cooking Barf Patties?

Louis is raw fed, but I need to try and spread his food throughout the day in the form of treats for training. As this isn't really doable with raw meaty bones, I wondered if I could cook barf patties and then cut them up in to small portions.....I think it will go like a meatloaf if cooked :rolleyes:

I know this isn't raw, and it wouldn't be a long term solution, but can anyone see any major problems with cooking the patties before feeding?

Agreed don't cook them the bone is in them.

Have you thought about making a treat, that way you know what is in it and can adjust the diet to suit. I use a liver bread for treats, the dogs go nuts for it and I know exactly what is in it.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Have you thought about making a treat,.....

Yup :) I've baked up lambs liver, heart and ox tongue which work well, but as he's only a small dog too much of this gives him loose poop. Before starting some training with him next week I've been asked to pretty much give him all his food in the way of rewards for good behaviour, really trying to work on his focus on me, hence looking for a way to get his meals into 'treat form'.

I would no way feed him anything that could do him harm, but having run my fingers through the barf pattie (nice! :D ) I honestly feel nothing that could be bony shards :rolleyes: The only hard stuff in there is rounded and about the size of half a pea.

The ingredients contain finely ground chicken bone - the issue with cooked bones is surely the splintering resulting from cooking. I didn't think finely ground bone cooked in with meat would cause any damage :rofl:

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Are they the Dr Billinghurst bark patties?

Yes the 4legs can be made smaller, I use these for my dogs for training and break them into pieces as I'm using them, some flavours are a bit mushier than others (I think the chicken one is the mushiest from memory). My favourite ones to use are the puppy ones because they are very small and firm but probably not recommended if Louis can put weight on easily.

I wouldn't cook the Barf patties either. If you want a cooked product I would look at 4 legs, 4 legs roll or Ecopet rolls.

Ok thanks Jules, I'll look into these. Are they the sort of thing that's firm enough to be cut into cubes?

Yep the rolls could be cut up, I've used them before for training and the 4 Legs comes in little balls too.

You could do a dried chicken. Use the breasts off a BBQ chook or boil one up. Peel the meat off in thin strips ( most chicken will come apart in strands ), then dry those out.

Yeah that's they other way to go - I guess it wont hurt too much if he doesn't get the perfect balance of meat/organs/bones for a week or two.

Yes the 4legs can be made smaller, I use these for my dogs for training and break them into pieces as I'm using them, some flavours are a bit mushier than others (I think the chicken one is the mushiest from memory). My favourite ones to use are the puppy ones because they are very small and firm but probably not recommended if Louis can put weight on easily.

Yup they are Dr Billinghurst ones. I didn't want to mess with his diet too much which is why I was hoping I could just cook the patties to make it easier to spread his meals through the day. Where do you get 4legs from Amy?

Yep the rolls could be cut up, I've used them before for training and the 4 Legs comes in little balls too.

Unfortunately the ecopet site does list any stockist for WA :laugh:

You could develop your own meatloaf recipe ..... human grade mince, carrot, egg etc - similar to barf, but without the bone. Give raw bones as a separte meal - eg a chicken neck or two for dinner.

Good idea :bottom: I was just trying to be lazy and use what's already in the freezer :laugh:

I like the puppy ones to :laugh: the coconut on the other ones is messy :bottom: