Anybody Else Have A Dog Who.....

barkon

poops in his sleep???

We have an aged Great Dane/ Lab boy, just under 70kgs. He has always had lots of wind, but in the last few months he will poop as well as pass wind while he is asleep. Not a huge amount ( although its huge cos he is) and never runny, always a hard pellet type, and he never realises he has done it. Watched him yesterday, asleep on the couch... He has had no change in diet, poo's normally outside, isn't incontinent in the wee side of things and is a happy old man. Not sure whether I should take him to the vet or not, and just wondered if anyone else had this happen in their old dogs.

I've had this happen with my whippets, and yes always a hard pellet type thankfully, because........it's usually in MY BED!!!!! I wake up to find I've been sleeping with a dog turd. Not nice. I dont know who does it, or maybe it's all 5 who occasionally have one slip out. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, probably only once a year, even that's plenty.

Oh, meant to add, I dont think it's age related with mine although they're getting on in years now, I think it's just a turd stuck in their passage and it slips out while they're asleep. :(

Edited by Kirislin

Hate to say this, but as someone who has family members working in aged care facilities - happens with people too. Funnily enough, more so old men than women. Obviously something in the male gene..... personally, I'd rather wake up laying in a small hard dog turd than a human one.

Cheers Sue

I've had this happen with my whippets, and yes always a hard pellet type thankfully, because........it's usually in MY BED!!!!! I wake up to find I've been sleeping with a dog turd. Not nice. I dont know who does it, or maybe it's all 5 who occasionally have one slip out. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, probably only once a year, even that's plenty.

Oh, meant to add, I dont think it's age related with mine although they're getting on in years now, I think it's just a turd stuck in their passage and it slips out while they're asleep. :(

am giggling away reading your post, sleeping with turds :):(:)

You know only us dog lovers would understand, don't tell this story out at dinner with non doggy friends :)

ahhh you made my morning and I will smile all day :)

:( just you wait Rusky, it will happen to you one day.

Thankfully, another thing I've noticed about those particular turds is they dont have a strong smell. A couple of times I've picked one up thinking it was a little stone, and then I realise I'm holding a dog turd in my bare hand. Much ewwwing and running to the bathroom to dispose of said turd and sterilise my hands.

My old German Shepherd at 14 did this on his bed whilst sleeping. He had a collapsing sacrum and I imagine it had something to do with losing control in the rear end.

Edited by LizT

Thanks guys, sometimes the poo's do smell, but they are still just firm round masses, although this morning we had a long one. Will just monitor I guess. He is a happy old man so will leave be until such time as it gets worse.

Kirislin :laugh: thank doG there is no room for Chopper on my bed, his are more walnut size then raisin....

Chookie, I'd rather wake up to a dog one then a human one... thanks for the thought :D

Don't some of our core body muscles go a bit lax with age causing incontinence? Maybe it is the same with dogs? While sleeping everything just kind of loosens up and if a bit of poop is hanging around in there it just kind of rolls out while they sleep? If they were awake they'd be more concious of it I guess?

well now I have stopped laughing at the turds in the bed I will gather myself to answer the OP.

My darling old girl Rusky did this in the final months of her life, she would be walking along and a hard pellet would just drop out of her bum.

I knew there was a reason she didn't sleep in my bed but honestly...in a heartbeat pellet poo and all to have her with me again.

My old girl does it every now and then, a little nugget, she has probably been doing it on and off for about 3 years, sometimes more often and sometimes not for ages.

I don't see it as being a drama as it's not runny etc, obviously I'd prefer if she didn't but I never really look at it like a drama probably because she's older?

Oh, meant to add, I dont think it's age related with mine although they're getting on in years now, I think it's just a turd stuck in their passage and it slips out while they're asleep. :eek:

I end up with cat turds on the end of the bed, or the carpet or the tiles. Thankfully it is only about the size of a pea and solid, so easily picked up.

You could get him a poo trap (eek)

http://www.ohmidog.com/2009/08/27/crack-te...n-poop-catcher/

Or a nappy. Although that would still leave a cleanup problem in a slightly different area.

:provoke::eek: Who thinks of these things!

Seriously though, its not too much of a drama, just had never had a dog do it before and wanted to be sure it was as much a product of old age as anything else.

Sezy, I think I'd prefer dog turds then cat ones..... ick! :)