Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not necessarily rare but highly undesirable, are black, black and white, black and tan bulldogs..

Any particular reason for the colour being undesirable that you know of?

one theory I've been told, is that the black and tan and black, will dominate most other colours and eventually we will only have black/ black and tan bulldogs. Also noted was when the breed was first developed, refined and shown, anything with black was probably from an outcross to the black terrier therefore "was not a pure breed' so was disqualified from competition, as for the liver nose (dudley) it pops up regularily, they eyes and nostrils are not dark/ black as the standard requires, and in all my books the only reference I have,

"a law made in 1884 by the bulldog club incorporated, at a general meeting, and passed by ten votes for, to three against, Dudley nosed dogs and bitches were excluded from competition at all shows."

"There is no doubt but that at one time the Dudley or liver coloured-nose was a recognised bulldog property, and was as common amoung the dogs as the black nose was rare. By careful breeding experiments, continued over a period of some thirty years, the Dudley nose has almost been bred out of existence, but not quite, however." dated 1905.

Still does't tell me too much either..

post-27737-1288740187_thumb.jpg

Black wheaten is the rarest of these colors, however were it not for an owner’s love, black wheaten RRs might have become more common in the US. Back in the 50’s, the owners of a large kennel in CA went to Africa to purchase RR stock. While attending a party one night, they saw a gorgeous black wheaten dog and tried to purchase it, but the owner wouldn’t part with it. The body appears black, but on closer inspection the lighter roots show through in all the usual places – behind the shoulders, on the side of the neck and in the britches. Also it peeks through on the undersides of the dog and remains dark on top. I hope you can see it in this photo of a very rare dog – a black wheaten Ridgeback. Thanks to AKC for the photo.

post-27737-1288740199_thumb.jpg

Brindle is a pattern of stripes,which can be red and black,fawn and black, isabella and gray. It occurs in Great Danes,Greyhounds,Boxers, et al and sometimes Ridgebacks. The K locus plays a pivotal role in coat color. This locus is a relative newcomer in our understanding of canine color, and includes traits formerly attributed by some to other genes.

The dominant allele in the series is KB, which is responsible for self-coloring, or solid colored fur in pigmented areas. This trait was formerly attributed to the Agouti (A) locus as AS, but recent breeding studies had shown this not to be the case.

There are two other alleles, kbr, and ky. KB is dominant to both kbr and ky, while kbr is dominant only to ky. kbr is responsible for the brindle trait and for a long time had been considered to belong in the E locus. Recent breeding studies had also shown this to be incorrect. The recessive allele, ky, allows the basic patterns of the A locus to be expressed. So too does the kbr allele, but with brindling of any tan, fawn, or tawny areas.

Any animal with at least one KB allele will be self-colored.Any animal with at least one kbr allele, and no KB allele will be brindled on agouti background (see A locus).Any animal with two ky alleles will show agouti patterns (see A locus).

The mutations responsible for these alleles were identified and described primarily by Sophie Candille in the laboratory of Dr. Greg Barsh at Stanford University Thanks to Jabulani RRs for this photo.

http://kalaharirr.tripod.com/oddcolors.html

I have two unusual coloured greyhounds. Woody is solid Dun, and Coconut is White and Dun Brindle.

Only around one in every three thousand greyhounds born is dun, and it is an allowable colour.

Dun isn't so much a colour, but a gene that turns black hair into brown, similar to the dilution gene that gives you a blue dog, but different. I suspect that Woody also might have that dilution gene as well as the Dun gene, as he is such a washed out colour.

Coco's brown markings are a rich chocolate brindle stripe over fawn. She is mostly white with brown ticking. Her nose is a plum brown sort of colour. Woody is a dusky taupe, with a slightly darker nose. Both have brown lips, and no black pigment. His coat is a bit like a weim and a bit like a brown kelpie.

post-2283-1288741066_thumb.jpg

post-2283-1288741080_thumb.jpg

Guess health and temperament are always for most, so to me the colour are a secondary issue unless they directly impact in the quality of life of the dogs.

I love the white pug :laugh: the long haired Rotti is gorgeous, the phantom pooodle are just lovely and the white Dob aww. Some very nice colours in all the breed the black and tan lab is really nice too.

Many very attractive dogs in this thread and the Ridgeback I though it was a very fat Daccie at first :rofl: a bit like mine looks today :D :) but it suits it, looks good in that as well.

The parti lab I need to get used to :D .

My little girl is a strangely marked Aussie. We think she is a cryptic blue merle. Her colouring would be a disqualification as she has too much white. Lack of pigmentation on the ears and around the eyes can cause hearing and sight issues. Ava has partly pigmented ears and black eyeliner, and has normal sight and hearing.

IMG_2453.jpg

Aussies come in heaps of colours! The bi-colours are stunning. They also come in a lot of other non-standard colours including dilute, yellow and sable... see this site for pics :)

Edited to add: Dun greyhounds are :laugh::rofl: :D

Edited by wuffles