Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

Guest choice_brandy

I have always wanted another chocolate cattle dog. My family was given one from a breeder 25 years ago and he was gorgeous, but sadly age caught up with him at 17 . As far as I know chocolate is disqualifying and have often thought I should leave my details with a few breeders to offer a home should they produce one

myl.JPG

Pic is off website, not my Mickey whose photos have all sadly been destroyed

Edited by choice_brandy

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Danes come in 6 accepted colours, there is an additional colour that pops up through normal breeding which is Merle, however is not an accepted Show/Breeding colour.

But then you have those who cross colour breed which is Taboo in our breed and can end up with all sorts! Here's a few of the assortments:

Brindlequin

brindlequin-great-dane.jpg

Fawnaquin

fawnequin-great-danes.jpg

Fawn Mantle

mantled-fawn-dane.jpg

Chocolate

GreatDaneChocolateHerschel8Months1.jpg

not necessarily rare but highly undesirable, are black, black and white, black and tan bulldogs..

Any particular reason for the colour being undesirable that you know of?

one theory I've been told, is that the black and tan and black, will dominate most other colours and eventually we will only have black/ black and tan bulldogs.

:laugh: Pretty similar to why black/tan Staffords are highly undesirable. Much of the fear factor came about prior to the genetics knowledge of today where it was feared that tan points would take over. Now of course, we know that black and tan is a pattern, NOT a colour and that it is a recessive and only two dogs that carry the recessive can express it.

Black isn't an issue in Staffords, the problem we have with black is that genetically Staffords cannot "do" what others see as pure black. Even the blackest black is still a black/brindle.

I always think having colour requirements in the standard is a pity unless it causes heath problems. Otherwise I wish all colours were accepted. It seems such a shame that healthy dogs are put down because their colour doesn't fit the standard.

It goes both ways I think. There are proven ailments and conditions that only attack dogs which carry certain dilute colour genes. Common sense would say that these should be removed first.

Is that pug Albino Anne?

Not sure. It does appear to be very pink tinged but I can't see the eyes.

That brindle pug is gorgeous!!!!!!

Really? I've never liked the colouring in any dog really.

That brindle pug is gorgeous!!!!!!

and a cross bred.

That is subjective and dependant on what is considered a cross breed. In the US, they now have Pugs of this colour that have a long ancestoral lineage.

I agree however that the original dog that started the line must have been corssed as there is no such colour in the Pug, nor is there white or any other alleged rare or new colour.

love the black and tan poodle. doubt there are any in oz though right?

YEs they are I used to groom one :laugh:

You can get phantoms from mating different solid coloured dogs - a black/apricot mating could produce that colouring. Its basically "terrier" markings

Edited by poodlefan