Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

Do healthy dogs really get put down because of colour? Why can't they just be pet homed? That's so sad... unless there are serious health issues of course.

They used to be. I don't know any breeders who it these days but I think it happens less often at least.

I wouldn't think twice to make sure a black and tan, liver, blue or fawn doesn't make it past the first few hours. I'd be taking a serious look at how they've come about and making sure I take measure to prevent them popping up again.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you desex and pet-home? Assuming the pups are healthy of course.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do healthy dogs really get put down because of colour? Why can't they just be pet homed? That's so sad... unless there are serious health issues of course.

They used to be. I don't know any breeders who it these days but I think it happens less often at least.

I wouldn't think twice to make sure a black and tan, liver, blue or fawn doesn't make it past the first few hours. I'd be taking a serious look at how they've come about and making sure I take measure to prevent them popping up again.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you desex and pet-home? Assuming the pups are healthy of course.

Because to let them out into the hands of the averge Joe, serves only to encourage the breeding of them. There are people who already think that black and tans for example are the best thing since sliced bread and can't wait to get one.

Excitement over a breed fault, colour or otherwise should not be encouraged.

Edited by ReadySetGo

Well....black/tan is not terribly difficult a lot of the time....watch out for smuts or black/brindles with "pencilling" in the areas where tan occurs. The pencilling is sometimes referred to as sable in some breeds. Smut patterning is "reverse" tan points and requires the tan point gene as the "on/off" switch. Breed two smuts together or black/brindle offspring of two smuts together and start praying when those puppies arrive!!!

Liver and blue wouldn't see the light of day here. From what I've seen of those colours, aside from the risks of health problems which are increased because of dilute gene alopecia, no matter what lines they are from, they generally are not of decent quality and I personally wouldn't want my prefix associated with them.

Fawn and black/tan....well......a lot would depend upon quality. Fawn I'm less keen on, so would probably be desexed and placed. Black/tan....as long as you know where it is coming from in the pedigree, really there isn't a lot to fear.

To be honest, I think black/tan appears more often than many breeders let on.

Liver and blue wouldn't see the light of day here. From what I've seen of those colours, aside from the risks of health problems which are increased because of dilute gene alopecia, no matter what lines they are from, they generally are not of decent quality and I personally wouldn't want my prefix associated with them.

Fawn and black/tan....well......a lot would depend upon quality. Fawn I'm less keen on, so would probably be desexed and placed. Black/tan....as long as you know where it is coming from in the pedigree, really there isn't a lot to fear.

To be honest, I think black/tan appears more often than many breeders let on.

I haven't seen any black/tan staffy, do you have a photo? The only ones I have seen is the black/brindle but saying that I'm not a breeder or have anything to do with the breed other than being a fan!

I believe most would be desexed and pet homed these days, as long as there are no health issues. With the bullies, it's just the colour and not a health issue.

This is only a puppy of course, I'm trying to find a photo I had of a cracking black/tan dog.

post-864-1288823026_thumb.jpg

Stunning!! does remind me of a thick set kelpie though.

Doesn't look anything at all like my Kelpie! But mind you, doesn't look a lot like my Staffords either! :love:

Can't find the photo I'm looking for at the moment, but I'm sure I have it here somewhere so I'll keep looking.

And this is Kaspar. :love:

Although his coat is very white, he has a very light pinky-chocolate nose and green/yellow eyes - basically, lack of pigment - we thought he was Albino or Luecistic (sp? - lack of pigment and coloured eyes).

post-5736-1288823916_thumb.jpg

Edited by t-time

This is only a puppy of course, I'm trying to find a photo I had of a cracking black/tan dog.

Wow, how cute!! Although all puppies are cute! My favourite is still the black/brindle though. Never really liked the blue colour in Staffords, too insipid for my liking and now knowing that there is possible health issue, no thanks. One of my loves of the Stafford is that they are so healthy.

This is a dog that regularly stays at my work- He doesn't look quite like a long haired rotty - he's almost wire haired!!!! We always assumed he was a cross especially when he was a pup however the owner assured he is pure (haven't seen the papers though!). He most definitely looks like a Rotty in structure and everything else now that he's fully grown, but just has the wiry coat!

What do you guys think?

d6bd2c42.jpg

His whole coat has the same wiry wispiness to it - but not thick and heavy like the LH rotty posted earlier.

Love this thread!!

He could be, a breeder in town has breed some rottis that have wirey beards, they look very odd, maybe he come from down here

There was a German import back in the late 80's who had a "beard" for want of a better word and was well known for producing this in his offspring. I knew the dog (he was at the kennel I worked at) and a daughter of his and she was the same; thick heavy coat and beard. Their coat was not a long coat; more of a very thick coarse coat; it wasn't as long as this dog but it was still longer than it was meant to be.

A long coat will usually be soft and the length of a Berner's (which is thought to be a throw back to the origins of the breed).

melzawelza, :love: the pics of the long haired Rott.

The long hairs do crop up now and then, certain lines are known for it!

The length of coat can and does does vary considerably.

I remember many years ago seeing this beautiful long haired Rott, she had a coat similar to the boy you posted. I have seen them from a heavy wire hair type coat to very long like a Bernese MD.

ETA: Further to Rottisliebe's comments, there have since been many other dogs introduced into the Australian gene pool over the years that have added to the long coat Rotts being seen.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Here are a couple of splash Bpstons which cannot be shown. mis-marked bostons are quite usual

resplashbstn.jpg

remismarkbstn1.jpg

and here is a Boston with a blue eye and white face, again this is a disqualifying fault

SANDY8MONTHSCUTE202-1-180x217.jpg

These kinds of mismarks occur in papillons too and are disqualifying faults.

There must be colour covering both eyes and the entirety of their ears.

I can't say I blame the Stafford breeders for not wanting some colour pups associated with their name at all. Thanks to the damage that unethical breeders have done to the breed. As long as they are willing to take a hard look at how they produced that pup in the first place.

But in some ways, not registering the 'faulty' colours is hiding valuable information from future breeders who want to study pedigrees, perhaps at a time when we know a lot more about dog genetics. Some colours are not allowed to be shown, and that is fine, but to not register them at all can leave other breeders in the dark and prevent them learning about avoiding faults themselves.